BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Car is acting like it is low and then dead but the battery is good

11-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Minton444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 525xi e60

Car is acting like it is low and then dead but the battery is good

Went to start my 06 e60 525xi this morning. It's acting like the battery was almost dead. After two tries it stopped turning over as if the battery was dead. I took my battery to the local advance auto store for a test and they said it was a good battery with 811 cold cranking amps out of 900 with something like 12.7 volts. Does anyone know what could cause this issue and how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

It could be a loose terminal - did it go back to working when you installed it tightly? Also, check your cables from the battery to the starter. When connected and acting up, do your accessories work?
      11-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Minton444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 525xi e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It could be a loose terminal - did it go back to working when you installed it tightly? Also, check your cables from the battery to the starter. When connected and acting up, do your accessories work?
The battery terminals are on the battery are tight. I had power going to the starter but it faded as if the battery was acting like it was dying but the battery is good. I do have power to everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
LookBothWays
Private
Rep
Drives: Tahoe

If it's an old battery could be it might pass a test but doesn't hold enough charge to last under load for long. If it sits for extended periods I like the anti sulfation battery tenders. I've used one on a mower battery that has lasted for 8 or 9 years. I charge it once at the beginning winter and once at the end of winter before going back into service. Can't swear that the battery tender is the reason for longevity but before using it I would be lucky to get 3 or 4 years service from those batteries.

I have the older version of the BatteryMinder 1500 that is available today, there are more expensive models but I don't see the need. Put it on your batter overnight and it is possible it could rejuvenate your battery but my guess is you need a new battery, just put the battery tender on if at least once a month if you're not driving it distances to fully charge the battery. Let us know how it goes.

Check with BMW to see if this is compatible with the car's electronics just to be safe.

Last edited by LookBothWays; 11-21-2021 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

I've had an intermittent starting problem that turned out to be the cable making poor contact inside the manufactured joint to the battery terminal clamp.
A very difficult one to identify as one moment it would fail, the starter barely turning over, the next turn of the key would often lead to normal operation.
When it finally failed, measurement of voltage across the termination when trying to start found it for me. I stabbed one meter prod through the insulation of the cable and clipped the other prod to the battery terminal clamp. Turn it over and there was nearly three volts showing on the meter.
Appreciate 0