BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

05-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #111
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

**update for my car**

With the advice of thejsf721, lifted up the car and checkt the rims by my eyes, rims are fine but left rear axle is not turning straight. making jumps every tour. I think vibrations caused from this. Will go the dealer and demand change
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #112
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Glad the videos helped. Nice to meet you and good luck getting the car running properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
**update for my car**

With the advice of thejsf721, lifted up the car and checkt the rims by my eyes, rims are fine but left rear axle is not turning straight. making jumps every tour. I think vibrations caused from this. Will go the dealer and demand change
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 02:59 PM   #113
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Haradrim was it the drive shaft from the differential out to the hub that was bent?

I suspect I may have the same issue.

I get wheel hop at high speed take offs and a weird slight shake even on perfect surfaces.

Any chance you have a video or can advise me more info and how you checked it at the garage.

QUOTE=Haradrim;28885962]**update for my car**

With the advice of thejsf721, lifted up the car and checkt the rims by my eyes, rims are fine but left rear axle is not turning straight. making jumps every tour. I think vibrations caused from this. Will go the dealer and demand change[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 04:59 AM   #114
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Hello Cnsky

Yes the rear shaft which outs from diffrential not turning smoothly on my inspect. It makes jumps

I am dumb i’ve forgot to take video but this tuesday will go to dealer garage and lift up car will record some.

I mention dealer he asked me if the vibration increase on uphill and decrease on downhill thats %99 axle shaft. When load on rear increase it shakes body. Such as highspeed takes off

see photo which component i mean no:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Haradrim was it the drive shaft from the differential out to the hub that was bent?

I suspect I may have the same issue.

I get wheel hop at high speed take offs and a weird slight shake even on perfect surfaces.

Any chance you have a video or can advise me more info and how you checked it at the garage.

QUOTE=Haradrim;28885962]**update for my car**

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Haradrim; 05-13-2022 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:14 AM   #115
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks please let us know if you solve the issue and share photos:

I actually have a spare shaft already purchased as I thought this could be the issue so if it fixes your car will try do the same myself.

👍
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:50 AM   #116
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

For everyones info I have had issue with my 530e since I purchased it 3 years old with 50000 on clock.

Have a look at my posts, they may be of most interest to those with variable dampers (adaptive drive).

In summary I changed wheels to new oem, tyres new star marked, tried non RFTs, 1 shock replaced, 1 wheel bearing replaced, road force x3, alignment x4, engine mounts replaced and gear box mount, VDP and ACSM modules replaced or recoded and most of my issues went away.

But..

Still have a weird shake/ slight hop on smooth surfaces or wheel hop when doing high power take offs so I'm down to either a diff issue or final drive half shaft bent so suspect I have same issue with a bent half shaft.

For those still suffering this issue I advise you read my older posts as there may be something in there you haven't tried.

Also beware of Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres they don't work on some g30 19/20 inch rims and cause vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:58 AM   #117
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

If you have enough equipments just lift up the rear of car and rotate wheels on neutral mod. you can clearly see axle shaft and if any problem occurs.

Quote:
Thanks please let us know if you solve the issue and share photos:

I actually have a spare shaft already purchased as I thought this could be the issue so if it fixes your car will try do the same myself.

👍
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #118
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Did you rotate them by running the engine or just by hand in neutral?
Appreciate 1
Cabbage625.50
      05-15-2022, 03:56 AM   #119
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Engine was working rotated on neutral

Quote:
Did you rotate them by running the engine or just by hand in neutral?
Appreciate 1
Cabbage625.50
      05-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #120
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

So you didn't drive the engine to turn the wheels juts by hand sorry want to make sure I don't jump off some jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #121
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

I went to dealer yesterday,

They inspected car very carefully. Drove on highway for almost 2 hours. All problems are understand by mechanic. Vibrations totally coming from left rear and increases on turns on highway.

3 Mentor mechanic inspected car, their main idea is Differential. While car on lift, i also touch diffrential cast and it vibrates.

Axles are not turning smooth but they said, tyres are not on ground that can be a reason. but still they will check axles when tyres on ground

Here is the axles video:
https://vimeo.com/711357307
Appreciate 1
CnSky330.00
      05-19-2022, 12:13 AM   #122
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks please keep us informed of the outcome.

Is the right side axle also moving the same or smooth?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #123
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Hello Again

Received a call from dealer. They tried michelin tyres on the car, and their idea is problem is gone. Will test myself Monday.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:38 AM   #124
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
Hello Again

Received a call from dealer. They tried michelin tyres on the car, and their idea is problem is gone. Will test myself Monday.
Be sure to test a motorway speeds

What type of Michelins did they fit?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:14 PM   #125
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Be sure to test a motorway speeds

What type of Michelins did they fit?
Yes will check tomorrow. I didnt go today.

Also the mechanic told me, my standart sizes are 245, he said me with 275 tyres comfort much much better.

So i wonder, is this car choosing tyres? Why pirelli or bridgestone not works smooth only accepts michelin?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 08:19 AM   #126
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Update: Michelins also not a solution, I am desperate and lost my hope.
Only remains a new differential but i dont think it will cure too. G30 LCI is very big disappointing

Here what i did on car
- tyres changes
- tyre control, alignment road force balance
- New sets of michelin tyres
- Drive shaft control
- Axle control
- Engine and transmission mounts control

I think this car have design issue or rear end suspension problem

Last edited by Haradrim; 05-24-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #127
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Sorry for dumb question but I dont see you tried with different rims?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #128
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Did you change the rear final drive shaft that appeared to be bent in the video? That's a relatively cheap part you can get one second hand on eBay.

I think this is the issue with my car to solve the minor shake I'm feeling as I have literally tried very thing else apart from a new diff.

Try a high speed take off from standstill in wet weather if one wheel hops/loses traction that will identify your problem side. Mine has hop on rear left where I know the car took a bad pothole hit before I purchased as they alloy was badly bent.

Also did you have the diff mounts checked and rear subframe mounts checked for tightness or damage. Look at my previous posts for video of my diff mounts.

I know my rear diff mounts have minor tears but BMW say it won't affect anything and they don't even change them under warranty for such small tears in one of the 3 mounts rubbed sections.

Finally can you describe what your feeling and do you have adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #129
jaxdtw2196
Rep
Drives: '22 X5

I had the exact same issue over TWO G30's. The first one, they threw part after part at it and could never figure it out. Multiple sets of tires, hubs, new rear drivetrain components, they could never figure it out. BMW USA agreed to a buyback and provided me a new 540 M sport. Sure enough, on a road trip to Florida I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM in that car. It was very prevalent in both vehicles while power was being applied (most noticeable while climbing hills), and always at highway speed. BMW threw their hands up and basically told me I was crazy now that I had gone through two G30's and that there was nothing more they could do. The first vehicle had in excess of $10,000 worth of warranty repairs done to it and the problem still remained.

Unfortunately I believe there is a design flaw in a drivetrain or suspension component, or a wide scale manufacturing defect that is causing this issue in so many cars. Surely as people continue to report the problem to corporate, they will be forced to take action with a TSB or something along those lines.

My dealer did a wonderful job getting me out of these two cars and getting me into an X5, which I absolutely love now (after initially thinking I wouldn't like an SUV). I'll never buy another 5 series because of the whole debacle I went through. Sad too, because it's a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 04:19 AM   #130
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Thank you for your replies.

I wanted to answer one by one

r1cero Yes 3 of different rims tried. No change.

CnSky
No they didnt change this axle bars. When tyres on ground they are turning smooth without problems the dealer says.

On last inspection all the mounts, gearbox, mounts controled. each of them strong as concrete. Their final idea is differantial

Because, the vibrations are complety speed based. and not continious. I can tell you like that;

I have driven the car for minutes 140km/h constant speed on highway with cruise control. RPM is same, road is straight. no up or downhill. One of the best highway of Turkey. So for example:

while car is going on, it starts to vibrate for 15 seconds and stops.. 30 seconds later started again for 25 second and stops. completly irregular. The only changes while this cruise is wind i thing. Vibrations are coming like this. stars slowly from to rear, getting to top level and decreasing slowly and gone. 15 20 seconds later again.

Yes some characteristics of this vibration have, for example middle hard brakes rear is wobbling. when cracks on road, rear also vibrates indepented from speed. on city for example little crack rear is normally wobbling but after still shake for 1.5 2 seconds

Downhills no problem etc..

and it gives me this idea like jaxdtw2196 design based problem or rear suspension.

I drove 4 different 5 series g30 lci. and 3 of them has this issue.

That's why my idea is not thinking this issue more and sell car asap on future. But as JAX mentions BMW ag should informed about this isssue and need to find solution

Best regards.

ALPER
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #131
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Some dealerships have pico testing available. Which would further help diagnose the vibration. But yea, seems like its usually the differentials that fixes the issue.

This vibration coming from the differential has been appearing on Mercedes as well, starting from a few years ago.

https://www.picoauto.com/products/no...g/nvh-overview
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 11:39 AM   #132
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

This sound a very very familiar.

2 questions

Do you have adaptive suspension?

Are you running Michelin pilot sport 4s tyres or tyres with a larger(higher) than normal side wall for comfort?

The MPS4S I got with higher side walls caused rhythmic vibrations on motorway at speed - see my old posts I even posted the vibration tool output data

You could have two issues like I had - 1 bad VDP ACSM coding causing variable adapters to make the car unsettled over even tiny cracks in the road (the rear is the car shakes side to side) and 2 - Michelin PS4S which are not approved for BMW or higher side walls both or even 1 of those will cause the diff to vibrate at high speed it's rhythmic in my case built for 5 seconds then dropped then comes back on super smooth roads

If you have variable dampers (adaptive button in car) and are running higher sidewalls (seems your dealer installed them from your previous posts) or MPS4S I have the solution for you.
Appreciate 0