BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Multifunction steering wheel button fault (video enclosed)

04-16-2024, 08:07 AM   #1
uk520
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Multifunction steering wheel button fault (video enclosed)

The "Mode" button and spinning selector on my steering wheel have stopped working. Sort of. It's really hard to explain so I've made a video (link below).

Pressing the mode button doesn't bring up the menu on the dash showing the various input sources. And spinning the thumb selector up and down doesn't show the different stations available but DOES change the channel if I then click the button in.

Sometimes if I tap the mode button repeatedly it does change the source without showing anything on the displays.

I've rebooted idrive via holding down the power button for 25+ seconds, which didn't solve it.

It's all a bit odd and inconsistent and hard to describe - this video shows it properly. Any help is welcome before I pay a fortune for exploratory diagnostics.

(Car is an '18 plate 520. Only thing that's changed on the car recently is an Car Eye 3.0 install but that shouldn't have gone anywhere near the steering wheel).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:17 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk520 View Post
The "Mode" button and spinning selector on my steering wheel have stopped working. Sort of. It's really hard to explain so I've made a video (link below).

Pressing the mode button doesn't bring up the menu on the dash showing the various input sources. And spinning the thumb selector up and down doesn't show the different stations available but DOES change the channel if I then click the button in.

Sometimes if I tap the mode button repeatedly it does change the source without showing anything on the displays.

I've rebooted idrive via holding down the power button for 25+ seconds, which didn't solve it.

It's all a bit odd and inconsistent and hard to describe - this video shows it properly. Any help is welcome before I pay a fortune for exploratory diagnostics.

(Car is an '18 plate 520. Only thing that's changed on the car recently is an Car Eye 3.0 install but that shouldn't have gone anywhere near the steering wheel).
Well... for one thing, the steering wheel is on the wrong side

On a serious note, I would suspect either the switch or the clockspring.
Appreciate 0