BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Winter wheel setup for M550

09-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Dutt1113
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

Winter wheel setup for M550

I was wondering what the best winter tire setup would be for an m550i? I think 19" would be a good size, but wondering about width and offset? Would a square setup with 255 tires be best? What offset would be best to run a square setup and just use spacers in the rear to keep wheels flush look?
      09-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
beerman80
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutt1113 View Post
I was wondering what the best winter tire setup would be for an m550i? I think 19" would be a good size, but wondering about width and offset? Would a square setup with 255 tires be best? What offset would be best to run a square setup and just use spacers in the rear to keep wheels flush look?
Did you decide on a winter wheel setup? I just purchased a M550i and am in the same boat trying to decide what to do for winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
NHM550
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutt1113 View Post
Did you decide on a winter wheel setup? I just purchased a M550i and am in the same boat trying to decide what to do for winter.
I run a square setup on mine for the winter. 245's all around. I would not recommend the pirelli sotozero 3 winters though. First they are great in the snow but my wife and I went to NYC for New Years and got a giant tire bubble from a pothole. The dealer had to search the country to find a tire and we ended up paying $600 total to get it overnighted from Washington state. Evidentially they are an extremely hard tire to source. I would recommend something a little more widely available only for the reason of being stuck without a suitable replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
carbo56
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHM550 View Post
I run a square setup on mine for the winter. 245's all around. I would not recommend the pirelli sotozero 3 winters though. First they are great in the snow but my wife and I went to NYC for New Years and got a giant tire bubble from a pothole. The dealer had to search the country to find a tire and we ended up paying $600 total to get it overnighted from Washington state. Evidentially they are an extremely hard tire to source. I would recommend something a little more widely available only for the reason of being stuck without a suitable replacement.

I would agree about the Sotozero 3's. I got a square set of Sottozero 3 245's on 19" 664M wheels in 2017 when I got my 2018 M550. I have no problem with their winter performance, but in each of the three winters that used them, I had a bubble in one of the front tires in March. By that time, they were no longer available, so I had to put the summer set back on early and then wait until October to get the bad one replaced before I put them back on for the winter. This happened for three straight years, and I actually just had one replaced last week that went bad in March.

I think that in most cases, and certainly the case for the Sottozeros, winter tires become available in the fall, and once the stock runs down, they are not replenished again until the next fall. So as a result, if you have a problem after the holidays, you may be out of luck finding a replacement.

I now have a new 2021 M550, and I am planning to use the same set again. Hopefully I can get through the winter without a bubble - I am certainly driving a lot less these days due to COVID.

Unfortunately, I don't there are other options for winter run flats in 19". You could go with non-run flat Sottozeros or Michelin Pilot Alpins instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

I have a gone through one winter without issues but I have went with 5% higher profile. Square setup of Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D DSST RUNONFLAT - SIZE: 245/45R19.
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0