BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Sound of BMW Performance Exhaust on 540i

10-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i MSport

Sound of BMW Performance Exhaust on 540i

So, I just received my BMW 540i MSport with the optional Performance Exhaust. I must say it is a little underwhelming. But my sales rep told me that after I put a couple hundred miles on it. It will open up and sound better. I really just wanted it to sound like the M340i with the crackles and pops.

I'll give it some more time before I just accept that it isn't going to sound as dynamic. I'm only 120miles into my 2021 540.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis3 View Post
So, I just received my BMW 540i MSport with the optional Performance Exhaust. I must say it is a little underwhelming. But my sales rep told me that after I put a couple hundred miles on it. It will open up and sound better. I really just wanted it to sound like the M340i with the crackles and pops.

I'll give it some more time before I just accept that it isn't going to sound as dynamic. I'm only 120miles into my 2021 540.
To achieve the "crackles and pop" situation...one would need to tune (or remap) the vehicle's ECU and/or change (catless or catted) downpipe. Having just the performance exhaust or cat-back exhaust install is not gonna create the full "crackles and pop" noise.....except increase the exhaust note w/ hint of burbles down the lane. Furthermore, it's not recommended to tune the ECU when the vehicle is very new. Just my small $0.02 cents.
Appreciate 1
mdavis313.00
      10-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis3 View Post

The 2021 M340i no longer have the crackles and pops anymore.
Appreciate 0