BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G30 Rear Fog Light Install

10-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgimips View Post
No, unfortunately this is still not working. I’ve been checking the various coding forums every so often to see if someone with experience in this area can figure it out.
I have been doing some reading on this and I think for most of the G series, rear fog light and European spec tail light days are over.

My understanding is that US spec cars have different wiring and different hardware in some cases.

For example US spec G20 have completely different rear tail light assemblies along with a different wiring.

I sure hope someone proves me wrong. I hate not having rear fogs and red turn signals that flash with brake lights due to some non-sense DOT regulations.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #24
__mkw
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30

G30 have the same wiring in US and ECE cars.
On other forum I found information that easiest way to program US car to ECE is to code the whole car (except ACSM and DME) with ece typeshlussel.

I will try it on weekend.
The only issue with this is that SZL will give the error: wrong variant installed
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #25
rossco5
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC + 2018 BMW 530e

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone knows how to replace the rear tail light, unfortunately broke mine and can not get my new one installed...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #26
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscorreia View Post
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone knows how to replace the rear tail light, unfortunately broke mine and can not get my new one installed...
Official instructions here:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...light-cluster/

It's not a fast process...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #27
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

For anyone following this thread, I have some information. On the X3 forums, it was discovered that even modifying the US switch wouldn't work, it actually requires the Euro switch. After that, the same coding changes I made to my G01 X3 (which was just changing the lighting related codes to match the Euro Version) worked to get the rear fog lights working, and ideally, changing those same line items should also enable them on the G30. After you install the switch, the line items changed should be:

Confirmed working as of 3/15/2020. However, you must verify you have the LED modules first. Please read rest of thread.
All changes are in the BDC_Body2 Module, in the 5FA9 Cafd file
NSL_Verbaut: Change this to "Verbaut"
LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR: Change to match your existing switch, plus "NSL". For example, mine was "39_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NIVI", so I changed it to "40_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL_NIVI". This keeps the incorrect light switch variant error from showing up in ISTA.
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA: Change this to "G30_ECE_Code"
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX: Change this to "G30_ECE_Code"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA_0: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_1"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_3"
LIC_VERSION_DATA: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_5"

HOWEVER, when I tried the codes, they did not work. Similar to sgimips. I decided to look at my tail light to check the wiring, and lo and behold, my 2020 G30 is missing the wires that Newtis says should be there for the rear fog lights. I won't be able to test adding the wire until mid-next week, but for those who bought the Euro switch and can't get it to work with just the coding, I would double check your wiring.
Attached Images

Last edited by roxxor; 03-16-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #28
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I won't be able to test adding the wire until mid-next week, but for those who bought the Euro switch and can't get it to work with just the coding, I would double check your wiring.
Where/how can I check the wiring? I have the euro switch, and I'm in the midst of researching what it takes to add front fogs to my M550i, and had wanted to enable the rear fogs once I install the switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #29
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Where/how can I check the wiring? I have the euro switch, and I'm in the midst of researching what it takes to add front fogs to my M550i, and had wanted to enable the rear fogs once I install the switch.
The two ways are to either pull out the plug at the BDC (difficult), or remove/pull back your trunk lining to look at the plugs on the inner tail lights. If you have a wire in slot #5, then you are good to go.

Instructions for removing trunk lining are on this page, just do the items under step 1 and 2 in order to get access to the plugs. Also, you dont have to actually disconnect the trunk button, just pop it out to help loosen the lining:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ter/1Vnc4w5gu4
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #30
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep

This may take me a while to get to, but can you confirm that I have the pins in the right order? I am red/green deficient (and overall mentally deficient!), so I just want to make sure I understand what I'm after.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 3593
Size:  455.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #31
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
This may take me a while to get to, but can you confirm that I have the pins in the right order? I am red/green deficient (and overall mentally deficient!), so I just want to make sure I understand what I'm after.

Attachment 2251055
No worries. Yes, you are correct. The Blue/Red wire is Slot #1, or alternatively, the Yellow/Brown wire is Slot #6. You are looking for a Black/Yellow wire to be in the slot next to that Yellow/Brown wire.

Also just so you know, this info is for the Driver's Side/Left inner tail light. On the Passenger/Right side inner lights, Slot #1 is Blue/White, and Slot $6 is Blue/Black, and the Rear Fog wire on that side in Slot #5 should be Black/White.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #32
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm afraid I don't have good news. There are only the same four wires as yours (anything else is a shadow in the picture)

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  119.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #33
roxxor
Major
Rep

Yep, looks like you are missing the wire in slot #5 as well. I got a chance to start running the wire this week but haven't actually hooked it up to test yet, hopefully will get some time either tonight or Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #34
dadonkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Thank you so much for tackling this project! I got the switch and will be tackling it soon. Any recommendations on SW and HW to do the coding?

I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I find it insulting that BMW thinks we can't be trusted with such a basic feature...
I've had my M550i for about a year and already had multiple situations where rear fogs should've been on
Sadly, I also had to do this to my MK3 Golf a long time ago.

I had a quick look at the wiring diagram: the missing wire comes all the way from the A258 body domain controller at the right A pillar!? Oh boy...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #35
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonkey View Post
Thank you so much for tackling this project! I got the switch and will be tackling it soon. Any recommendations on SW and HW to do the coding?

I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I find it insulting that BMW thinks we can't be trusted with such a basic feature...
I've had my M550i for about a year and already had multiple situations where rear fogs should've been on
Sadly, I also had to do this to my MK3 Golf a long time ago.

I had a quick look at the wiring diagram: the missing wire comes all the way from the A258 body domain controller at the right A pillar!? Oh boy...
Yep, that it does, but it should tuck nicely with the factory wire harness along the carpet line. And I agree. I get some people wouldn't pay attention and leave them on which might cause lighting issues to others, but no more than other people already drive around with their high-beams on, or trucks which drive around with those insanely bright lightbars turned on. Somehow though, I'm sure it has less to do with BMW trusting us than with US DOT regulations being extremely outdated when it comes to lighting.

All of the coding for this that I have found lies in the BDC module, so Bimmercode in Expert Mode should be able to do it if you feel comfortable. Otherwise, E-Sys would be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #36
roxxor
Major
Rep

Well, it seems BMW decided to take things a step further, as my current conclusion is that the inner tail lights on my car do not have the LED diodes in the rear fog light spots.

I conducted some testing today in which I decided to swap the wire I added to slot #5 with the Black/Yellow wire in slot #4, which is the Daytime Running Light signal wire for the inner left tail light. Sure enough, with the rear fog wire in the DRL slot, the DRL for the inner left tail light was off while the rest were on, but it came on when I pressed the rear fog button. That confirmed that the wire for the Rear Fog Button was in fact sending a signal. Therefore, if the LED's for the rear fogs were present, having the DRL wire in the Rear Fog Light slot should have made them come on with the rest of the tail lights. However, this was not the case, as nothing illuminated in the rear fog light section of the left inner light. I did my best to peer inside the housing and from what I can see, it looks like there aren't any LED diodes on the slots.

If there are any pre-2020 US owners, or even perhaps a non-US owner who could be so kind as to take a picture of the visible part of the rear fog light circuit area on their cars so I can visually compare before I just go purchase some euro tail lights, it would be greatly appreciated! I will try to get a picture of what mine look like uploaded tomorrow morning.

UPDATE: Confirmed that my 2020 530e tail lights do not have the LED diodes for the rear fog lights. I have attached 2 pictures, one from an eBay listing for 2017/2018 G30 US tail lights, and one of mine. You can see how the diodes are visible in the older tail light, but on mine, you can see the solder pads for the diodes, but none are present.
Attached Images

Last edited by roxxor; 03-09-2020 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #37
dadonkey
Canada
Rep

I can look at mine, but I can't find a picture online that shows me where the fogs are supposed to be in the tailight assembly. Can you send a link or a picture with an arrow pointing to it?
Also, any chance that you can open the housing and solder in the LEDs?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #38
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can look at mine, but I can't find a picture online that shows me where the fogs are supposed to be in the tailight assembly. Can you send a link or a picture with an arrow pointing to it?
Also, any chance that you can open the housing and solder in the LEDs?
Used inner tail lights weren’t too expensive online, I ended up ordering a pair for around $150 shipped. You probably could DIY as you mentioned, but soldering has never been my strong suit, plus the only time I ever tried opening lights years ago on my Acura TSX ended up with them not resealing all the way, water getting in, and frying a xenon module. Fun times.

Rear Fogs are in the rectangular area below the Reverse Light and between the Daytime Running Lights. If you watch the video below, they turn them on at 1:03.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:29 AM   #39
dadonkey
Canada
Rep

Looks like mine (2017 Canadian build) does have the LED chips there.
I agree soldering is only part of the problem. Finding the right LEDs is another one.

Did you extract the contacts from the housing and if yes how?
Most connectors require special tools or a lot of patience...

I see there are several connector families used in these cars (MCON, MQS, MCP, SLK, ...) but I don't have the experience to know which one this connector uses.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #40
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Looks like mine (2017 Canadian build) does have the LED chips there.
I agree soldering is only part of the problem. Finding the right LEDs is another one.

Did you extract the contacts from the housing and if yes how?
Most connectors require special tools or a lot of patience...

I see there are several connector families used in these cars (MCON, MQS, MCP, SLK, ...) but I don't have the experience to know which one this connector uses.
It so happened I have some spares laying around from prior part orders where they sent me the wiring harnesses as well. However, based on past projects I have done, you would need 4 of part number 61130005197, which comes with the wire already attached, which I find easier than trying to crimp my own. Shouldn't be more than around $10-$12 USD. If yours already has the LEDs, I would definitely check first to make sure you don't already have the wiring before ordering anything. Earlier builds it seems came with the LEDs and wiring, and you just needed the switch and coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #41
roxxor
Major
Rep

DIY Instructions - Confirmed Working

Hi all,

After getting these working this weekend, I decided to consolidate all the information in to one DIY thread found here.

For those reading through, the coding changes I posted above are correctly working if you have the LED diodes in your tail lights, and have the wiring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #42
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for tracking all of this down and keeping everyone up to date.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #43
dadonkey
Canada
Rep

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #44
TourStageFan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 535iX M-Sport, CaymanS, %E

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Hi all,

After getting these working this weekend, I decided to consolidate all the information in to one DIY thread found here.

For those reading through, the coding changes I posted above are correctly working if you have the LED diodes in your tail lights, and have the wiring.
Thank you for all your hard work. All of we safety-minded people greatly appreciate your efforts!
Appreciate 0