BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Crashed into from behind..

12-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Crashed into from behind..

Sadly my 540i got taken out yesterday by someone who was falling asleep behind the wheel. Was slow moving start/stop traffic and impact was at low speed, but the guy was driving a big Toyota Landcruiser with a bar on the front. Damage looks mainly cosmetic (boot lid, lights etc.), no airbag deployment.

The workshop will do a full assessment in the coming days, but for anyone who's gone through similar incident .. is there anything I should keep a watch for in terms of potential issues that could come up later as a result of a shunt like this?
Attached Images

12-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I would be concerned about the rear suspension components and the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Total bummer... maybe some karma for that M badge you put on the back.
      12-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
Cheap shot.
Appreciate 1
Dking078220.50
      12-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Cheap shot.
Definitely
2018 M550i xDrive | Mediterranean Blue | Black Nappa | Individual Piano Black | 668M with Pilot SS | Cold weather | Driving assist/plus | Dynamic handling | Executive | Luxury seating | Parking assist | Rear shades | Bowers & Wilkins | CarPlay/Gesture/DDC; 2018 430i xDrive Gran Coupe | Carbon Black | Black Dakota | M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

To the OP, I hope someone chimes in for you. I had a Benz hit my 430i last year in the driver front quarter and it was $21K+ worth of damage. Towed to and repaired by a BMW certified repair shop, and while they were nice and all, it took multiple trips to my local dealer to fix things that were missed or fixed incorrectly (damaged suspension component was left, which resulted in an audible clicking through the steering wheel travel), and they cross-threaded some engine mounts and even left a screw out, which resulted in some harsh clunking over bumps at low speeds. My local dealer worked with them to get it all covered and paid for while they personally did the work, so I couldn't be happier with them and will stick with their service department for all of my needs. But things can and do certainly come up even after all the damage is "repaired." Good luck!
2018 M550i xDrive | Mediterranean Blue | Black Nappa | Individual Piano Black | 668M with Pilot SS | Cold weather | Driving assist/plus | Dynamic handling | Executive | Luxury seating | Parking assist | Rear shades | Bowers & Wilkins | CarPlay/Gesture/DDC; 2018 430i xDrive Gran Coupe | Carbon Black | Black Dakota | M Sport
Appreciate 1
MauiSteve281.00
      12-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Awww.. diddums. Got yourself all upset didn't ya. You may want to be careful about karma though, it tends to have a funny way of coming back to those prone to Schadenfreude.
      12-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550XI

Bro!! You did not put an M badge please tell me I'm seeing things!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #9
Dummy Salapa deux
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Awww.. diddums. Got yourself all upset didn't ya. You may want to be careful about karma though, it tends to have a funny way of coming back to those prone to Schadenfreude.
I thought his post was hilarious. I was thinking maybe it wasn't the badge, but how it was on the wrong side of the model number.
Appreciate 1
MauiSteve281.00
      12-12-2020, 04:07 AM   #10
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Quote:
No schadenfreude on my part. Seriously, every time I drive I worry about potential idiots on the road. This time of year it is rubber necking tourists in rental cars looking at whales instead of the distance to the vehicle in front of them. Every time I park at a store it's way the hell out in Egypt where amongst as many vacant spaces I can find. It sucks you got plowed by some sleepy head and honestly you have my sympathy.

But bro, you're on a BMW enthusiast forum, where de-badging might be , and added M badges are most definitely considered...

Keep us posted on your repair.
      12-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #11
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Water of a duck's back. It's not posing to be an M540 or M5. I can partly understand it when people pretend to be an M model car, but the rest is just juvenile bullshit. The badging can stand for MSport or MPerformance and not any particular model unless it's in front of the car number, in which case it designates an M car.

When you buy an MSport, the car come with multiple M badges from the factory as it is - it's on the flanks, on the engine, on the sills etc. . Buy an MPSK and you get additional M labels, plus MPerformance stamped all over the bits you get. It's all just BMW marketing and customization nothing more. Some like clean debadged, other not. Whatever floats your boat. Some people need to get over their zealot attitude towards the M symbol because the manufacturer long ago decided it's not just for M model cars.

A true motoring enthusiast will show some level of respect for the fabric that makes up the community, whilst still being able to voice an opinion of what they like and what they don't but without resorting to primary school antics.
      12-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
mario1208
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540ix

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the accident. Worst part is that if plan on selling (if vehicle is financed or owned) be prepared to lose out on $$. Cars just lost it's resale value by at least $2k ..don't mean to be a Debbie downer an accident is just that ..more important for you to get it fixed and make sure it's done right..

IMO go through the dealership to get it fixed as safe to say you or other driver will only end up paying the insurance deductible..

Had 2 accidents (what insured deemed them to be) with 2 separate potholes on NJ highways within the same yr. (2 yrs ago) which in total came out to approx $16k . Paid $1500 out of pocket via deductibles. Any accident is a bummer ..good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
mario1208
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540ix

Quote:
Sadly my 540i got taken out yesterday by someone who was falling asleep behind the wheel. Was slow moving start/stop traffic and impact was at low speed, but the guy was driving a big Toyota Landcruiser with a bar on the front. Damage looks mainly cosmetic (boot lid, lights etc.), no airbag deployment.

The workshop will do a full assessment in the coming days, but for anyone who's gone through similar incident .. is there anything I should keep a watch for in terms of potential issues that could come up later as a result of a shunt like this?

Be prepared for the dealerships collision department to basically rape $$ the insurance company if that's the route you're taking ..🙄
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
BMW Lunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

Quote:

Hey man sucks this happened to you : and I hope everything works out . When the body shop fixes your 5 series have them
Take the M Out. No disrespect your car is already beautiful why get roasted every time a fellow M driver passes by your 540.

Nonetheless hope everything works out!
      12-15-2020, 12:37 AM   #15
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Make sure you take it to a BMW certified collision center. They tend to use their own adjustors, even if insurance has already put an estimate on the repairs. My m550 went from 13k in repairs from the insurance company estimate to over 45k in repairs from the shop estimate. Totaled. At least it wasn't the front end for yourself, that acc speed sensor and headlights are brutally expensive. The BMW center estimates with OEM parts and tear down the car to truly make it OEM if fixable.

https://bmwusaservice.com/ccrc

edit: n/m, see that you are in AU. But, just for future reference to people who read this.

Last edited by Scotty B; 12-15-2020 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:11 AM   #16
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
Make sure you take it to a BMW certified collision center.
Yeah, here they have BMW Bodyshops, which sounds like similar thing. I did go through them at my local stealership. All up around 12 grand damage. They're trying to get it all fixed prior to Christmas, but some parts may yet get delayed from Germany.
      12-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #17
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Glad you are OK, OP. That's the important thing.

My advice is that you check out the car carefully after the repairs are done. Make sure that the trunk lid is aligned correctly, shuts properly, and of course, look for any defects or spots in the paint.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Sorry hear bud. I would have them check the trunk floor panel - wonder if that got f@@@cked up as well, could be an expensive repair, glad you weren't hurt!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

Depending on where you are, look into a diminished value claim. A car in even a minor accident, even if perfectly repaired, will be worth significantly less due to the Carfax blemish. Many state laws allow for diminished value claims. Most insurance companies fight these. I had to sue Geico over 1 such claim. Even after a mediator (former judge) told Geico's adjuster he was being ridiculous in his position, Geico stalled, delayed, and was difficult (their lawyer was reasonable but couldn't get authority from the adjustor until the very end).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
Depending on where you are, look into a diminished value claim. A car in even a minor accident, even if perfectly repaired, will be worth significantly less due to the Carfax blemish. Many state laws allow for diminished value claims. Most insurance companies fight these. I had to sue Geico over 1 such claim. Even after a mediator (former judge) told Geico's adjuster he was being ridiculous in his position, Geico stalled, delayed, and was difficult (their lawyer was reasonable but couldn't get authority from the adjustor until the very end).
I believe OP resides in Australia.
      12-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #21
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
You get what you pay for with Geico as well some others that spend millions on advertising and then give their customers a hard time when paying claims. Those ad dollars get have to be paid for somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
You get what you pay for with Geico as well some others that spend millions on advertising and then give their customers a hard time when paying claims. Those ad dollars get have to be paid for somehow.
I actually have GEICO and had a good experience. There are two BMW dealerships in the Phoenix area and one of them is an approved GEICO shop. While I would have preferred the other (it is close to my home and where my current BMW was purchased) I was quite happy to be at a collision center associated with a BMW dealership.

So my suggestion is if your insurance policy provides you an incentive to use an approved body shop, see if any of the approved shops are associated with a dealership.
Appreciate 0