BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding HUD speed changing color

08-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

HUD speed changing color

I just bought a M550i and found something weird. When I speed up the speed number in the HUD turns orange, and when I slow down it turns back to white. However there doesn't appear to be a set speed threshold for the color change to happen. Has anyone experienced this?
      08-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
This is reflective of speeding. If you're exceeding the speed limit of the road then your speed changes to Red (can look Orange in the HUD).

On my car you'll also have a red line leading from the speed limit to your current speed in the instrument cluster as well to let you know by how much you're speeding there.

It is a thing as more and more places (especially the EU) throw up speed camera you need to be keenly aware of your speed in certain areas. Here in Philly they added 8 or so speed cameras on a major road and each ding is $150 so that can add up pretty fast. Imagine hitting all 8 in one day going down that road... Can do a lot with $1200.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
This is reflective of speeding. If you're exceeding the speed limit of the road then your speed changes to Red (can look Orange in the HUD).

On my car you'll also have a red line leading from the speed limit to your current speed in the instrument cluster as well to let you know by how much you're speeding there.

It is a thing as more and more places (especially the EU) throw up speed camera you need to be keenly aware of your speed in certain areas. Here in Philly they added 8 or so speed cameras on a major road and each ding is $150 so that can add up pretty fast. Imagine hitting all 8 in one day going down that road... Can do a lot with $1200.
That’s why here in the UK we have Waze in the background on CarPlay giving warnings of speed cameras, average speed traps and mobile cameras. The German manufacturers now prevent you loading camera location databases as POI’s as previously because in France for instance it is illegal to have capability of storing a warning / location.

The EU is bringing in mandatory speed limiters that activate on the signs with only minimal override - hopefully as the U.K. will not be subject to their laws after Jan 1 we will be saved from this. (I had an auto limiter on my previous Merc but had to turn it off as it was heavily braking the car when I approached an EU lorry with Speed limit signs on the back and picking up signs on an adjacent road !).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
That’s why here in the UK we have Waze in the background on CarPlay giving warnings of speed cameras, average speed traps and mobile cameras. The German manufacturers now prevent you loading camera location databases as POI’s as previously because in France for instance it is illegal to have capability of storing a warning / location.

The EU is bringing in mandatory speed limiters that activate on the signs with only minimal override - hopefully as the U.K. will not be subject to their laws after Jan 1 we will be saved from this. (I had an auto limiter on my previous Merc but had to turn it off as it was heavily braking the car when I approached an EU lorry with Speed limit signs on the back and picking up signs on an adjacent road !).
Yeah I'd say that's a good path no matter where you are. It is what we often do as well (usually my Wife is controlling Waze so we can report stuff as we drive as well).

The speed limit is accurate the majority of the time in my car, but I have seen it be off a couple of times. I'm glad the car doesn't automatically adjust its speed in any way. The only thing I think would be nice that it doesn't do is tell me the speed it is coming up, but I guess they figure you should see that
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Thanks for the answer guys. It does seem like it changes color when the speed is higher than the posted speed limit. I found inside the idrive setting where to disable it, and turned it off. Much better now.
      08-20-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Yeah I'd say that's a good path no matter where you are. It is what we often do as well (usually my Wife is controlling Waze so we can report stuff as we drive as well).

The speed limit is accurate the majority of the time in my car, but I have seen it be off a couple of times. I'm glad the car doesn't automatically adjust its speed in any way. The only thing I think would be nice that it doesn't do is tell me the speed it is coming up, but I guess they figure you should see that
It wouldn’t take much for them to show that. I have Drive Assist Plus and when being used it does show in advance the speed limit change and you can select whether to adopt it or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I believe the U.K. whilst outside of the EU now will be copying what the EU does as regards these speed limiters

I think the next year or 2 will be the last year here in the EU/U.K. you will be able to buy a new car with no restrictions as regards speed.

Last I read ( can't recall where now sorry) was that initially it would be a button that could be disabled after startup but enabled by default at every start so people get used to it before it becomes a non option. A bit like like to stop start I guess in it's operation

Whilst it may be difficult to argue against there are flaws in the system.
Example are local to me when on the M25 there are speed limit signs of 40mph on a parallel road and my picks this up and of course warns you that you are exceeding the limit.
So there would need to be a lot of infrastructure changes to ensure cars cameras are not picking up the wrong sign.
Sign data obviously trumps the speed limit that is contained on the day an map data. Occasionally this can be wrong.

With out a big debate of speed limits I'm not in favour of this technology as I feel it can be perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit at times. Think of a bubble around the car, the faster you go the further that bubble spreads out and if you can stop in that bubble it's safe. (Simplifying things)
Likewise you can be below that speed limit and that speed may be too fast if you can't stop in the distance seem to be clear.

This will take the fun out of driving for sure
How manufacturers like Aston, Ferrari to name but two will fair with in place is difficult to say.

Problem is I suspect these decisions are not made by petrolheads

If you've driven with the speed limiter set you can see how frustrating it can be.

Just feel speed limits are a blunt instrument but I get why they are there and they have to be set somewhere. Strange they are in 10mph increments. So travelling at 43 in a 40 suddenly becomes dangerous? Well that could be yes or no, if you can stop in the distance seem to be clear then I would say no. It's all about reading the road.

There may be a rush to buy cars before this comes in potentially.

Now may be the golden age of cars ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
It wouldn’t take much for them to show that. I have Drive Assist Plus and when being used it does show in advance the speed limit change and you can select whether to adopt it or not.
Must be market specific or MY specific? As I have Driving Assistance Plus as well and I don't have the option to adopt the speed or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

It's an option in I drive you can tick, spee limit assist I think it's called ( don't quote me on that). When enabled there will be a green circle around the current speed limit displayed in the HUD
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #10
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
It's an option in I drive you can tick, spee limit assist I think it's called ( don't quote me on that). When enabled there will be a green circle around the current speed limit displayed in the HUD
In the HUD I get the new speed limit above the existing in plenty of time to select ‘Adopt or Ignore’

In the U.K. this is how it can be used - Name:  DE7AD6B6-1BFE-4180-B4AB-56FD17DFBB02.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  264.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Market specific it seems. I don't have those options or details in my settings or HUD. A shame.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Here's mine with a sli module
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #13
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
In the HUD I get the new speed limit above the existing in plenty of time to select ‘Adopt or Ignore’

In the U.K. this is how it can be used - Attachment 2394120
I wonder if this option can be coded in. Would love to increase the steep in which they turn red. I don't have this option as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 12:49 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep

Another option is for £25 per year to get the speed camera alerts from bmw connected drive
You get a warning in either your instrument cluster or hud (which ever you configure)
Very useful and worth the money
Appreciate 0