BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding ACC Retrofit Kits

09-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
frzntax
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xD

ACC Retrofit Kits

Hi all - just picked up a 2018 m550i and loving it. Unfortunately, this car doesn't have DAP (an oversight on my part!) and I'm really missing ACC. I've done some research, and it looks like EleBest PTE in Singapore and Group Buy Car Parts in Malaysia sell kits including the ACC radar and front grill mount/cover, ACC steering wheel controls, wiring harness, and (remote) coding. Group Buy claims they use the same hardware as EleBest, but are significantly cheaper. Since I have parking assistance plus, I don't need the DSC unit.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the above vendors? I can't find a local shop willing to install this kit, and I've never worked on a car at this level - although understand what needs to be done and come from a technical background (and no issues installing the proper software on my laptop to code, which they'll remote in to do anyway). I've seen videos and guides on removing the front bumper and taking apart the steering wheel to swap buttons. Is this an install that is relatively easy to perform given my lack of hands-on experience? If the wiring harness is truly plug and play, is it straight forward enough to route into the dash?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

The hardest part will be getting the FSC to enable to feature in the car.
AFAIK, BMW doesn't sell FSC's for any sort of safety/active driving components.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
BrBull
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertronic View Post
The hardest part will be getting the FSC to enable to feature in the car.
AFAIK, BMW doesn't sell FSC's for any sort of safety/active driving components.
FSC isn’t needed for ACC retrofit.

Parts (depending on your car) + coding is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Most retrofit is astronomically expensive - this one will be a nightmare and once you look at the cost, you won't want to do it anymore. Just sell the car and buy one with all the options you want.
      09-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
frzntax
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Yeah, I've weighed the cost options - looking at 1800usd for the kit vs finding another m550i with similar mileage and packages, ultimately buying the kit is a wash once I consider time (on both ends) and travel also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Most retrofit is astronomically expensive - this one will be a nightmare...
Nightmare from the cost or labor standpoint (or both)?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frzntax View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Yeah, I've weighed the cost options - looking at 1800usd for the kit vs finding another m550i with similar mileage and packages, ultimately buying the kit is a wash once I consider time (on both ends) and travel also.

If it is a wash I'd go the swap route. As you'll end up with less issues and warranty coverage in tact as well.

But if you do swap I'd go with fully loaded to save you from having anything you'd want to retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrBull View Post
FSC isn’t needed for ACC retrofit.

Parts (depending on your car) + coding is all you need.
Pretty sure you do need an FSC...
FSC app slot:
AppID 191 (BF) - Active cruise control+Stop&Go function (S5DFA)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

I believe you can get most stuff to work...

but if you want BMW happy so they can ever update any software without the car crashing during programming, you have to pay for the FSC codes. With modern cars so full of buggy joke software having a 30k car that can't be updated isn't really viable anymore

And the point about not ever wanting to support this because its been done with fake parts I can see will be a huge issue

and as I was reading and wrote about on another forum.... subversives may have noticed BMW have been plotting a nice little other revenue stream to catch out the freebie merchants. Many cars can have toys enabled for free these days... I believe Car play, DAB, Bluetooth and Sat Nav are inside any BM head unit on the modern stuff, it just doesn't show up in the menus?

Read the release notes for the dealer diagnostics however and BMW have secretly been trying to get their new anti theft / anti tamper / anti addon software to behave. I think its cost them more so far, as some models are still crashing when updating (especially the G30 hifi). Its been going on for more than 18 months now and no sign of them sorting it out... The gist is any retrofit of a second hand head unit will cause the replacement to self destruct and its the same with any non legitimate toy enabling.

With premium cars still coming in at poverty spec and so many coding heroes out there, there should be plenty of owners getting an update that kills the in car hifi that BMW should be making billions once the diagnostics can tell the hooky ones from the legit cars needing a dieselgate fix
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
BrBull
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertronic View Post
Pretty sure you do need an FSC...
FSC app slot:
AppID 191 (BF) - Active cruise control+Stop&Go function (S5DFA)
I’m pretty sure as I already retrofit my G30 (5AT).

Depending on the parts that you car already have, you will need some additional parts. It is not difficult but takes time to collect the parts, build the wiring harness and code the ECUs. Cost is about $2K.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
BrBull
Rep

Quote:

Most of the people will tell you that’s it’s difficult, a nightmare and better to find a new car. It was my case when I asked about retrofit the acc or driving assistant plus. This will be all the info you will find about retrofitting ACC or DAPlus.

I like when people say it is almost impossible. After some months of preparation, I completely retrofitted by myself.

Good luck
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
frzntax
Rep

Just heard back from one of the vendors, and they say an FSC code is not needed for ACC. They did confirm that ECU reprogramming needs to happen if a software update occurs. FWIW, they say the retrofit is easy.

Well, at this point I'm not finding any other M550s with the other packages I have within 500 miles, let alone color/mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrBull View Post
Depending on the parts that you car already have, you will need some additional parts. It is not difficult but takes time to collect the parts, build the wiring harness and code the ECUs. Cost is about $2K.
What packages did your G30 come with? So the kit price they're quoting of $1.8K seems reasonable (if harness if plug and play, as they claim).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
BrBull
Rep

Quote:
Just heard back from one of the vendors, and they say an FSC code is not needed for ACC. They did confirm that ECU reprogramming needs to happen if a software update occurs. FWIW, they say the retrofit is easy.

Well, at this point I'm not finding any other M550s with the other packages I have within 500 miles, let alone color/mileage.

What packages did your G30 come with? So the kit price they're quoting of $1.8K seems reasonable (if harness if plug and play, as they claim).
Yes. It’s reasonable. I’d say cheap.

Ask what parts are included to see if anything is missing. Wiring is important as there’re some of them missing in your car for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
frzntax
Rep

Great, well the other vendor also confirms no FSC app code is needed - and alludes to it being required for g05 and g20 due to BSC3. They are also including a programming cable, so it seems like the way to go. Another m550 popped up for sale, it's missing the luxury seating package in my vehicle but has DAP and M suspension pro and lower mileage, but the swap is looking like $10-11k more (sure I could get that down, but still more expensive than the kit, obviously). So when I buy this, I'll make sure to post some pictures of contents for anyone wanting to do this in the future.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      10-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
SanMarinoG31
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31 540i Touring

Garage List
I had contact with Group Buy Car Parts in Malaysia.
The price for the ACC kit with DSC was inclusive shipping to the Netherlands 1800 Euro (2113 usd).
Coding is done remote by them and they only use OEM parts.

Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      10-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #15
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMarinoG31 View Post
I had contact with Group Buy Car Parts in Malaysia.
The price for the ACC kit with DSC was inclusive shipping to the Netherlands 1800 Euro (2113 usd).
Coding is done remote by them and they only use OEM parts.
Are you going go through it? I wanted to do the same but not sure how reputable they are. Might do it as well after you get yours. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #16
SanMarinoG31
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31 540i Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
Are you going go through it? I wanted to do the same but not sure how reputable they are. Might do it as well after you get yours. Lol.
Yes I'm going to order the kit, I think next month. I'll keep you posted!

Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #17
frzntax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
Yeah, this is the same vendor I've decided to go with. They just sent me an invoice, so hopefully by the time funds are transferred the kit will ship out some time next week.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2020, 10:16 PM   #18
frzntax
Rep

Just an update: I've held off on getting this while I'm having the car looked at by the dealer. The good news is, I think I've found a local shop that's willing to assist with install when/if I can get the other item resolved (sunroof causing all sorts of noise).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #19
lubriecogtr
Rep
Drives: M550i

Group Buy Car Parts will give you the best customer service ever. I've been a happy customer since '18 with multiple parts, coding and retrofitting. Nic always delivers! Cheers
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      10-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
If you want to DIY it I would give this a read: https://www.drive2.ru/l/522910139057964226/
Appreciate 2
frzntax17.50
Moozin31.00
      10-20-2020, 10:17 PM   #21
frzntax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubriecogtr View Post
Group Buy Car Parts will give you the best customer service ever. I've been a happy customer since '18 with multiple parts, coding and retrofitting. Nic always delivers! Cheers
Ah, thanks for that vote of confidence. Nic is who I've been dealing with, and he is very knowledgeable and responsive so far.

Now that I have the sunroof noise issues resolved, I'm back into looking at this. Of course, another M550 has popped up for sale that has both DAP and DHP, and 10k lower mileage. I'd have to sacrifice the "luxury" seating package in mine (but that's not a major loss), however I'd be paying about $120 more a month (the money I'd put down is a wash for what I'd spend on the DAP retrofit).

I've seen various takes on DHP, some love it and wouldn't want to drive their M550 without it.. but at that monthly price difference, I'm thinking to still just go the retrofit route with my current vehicle (maybe easier said than done having not found a vehicle around here to test DHP). But then again I rationalize lower mileage and DHP MSRP of $3600, which I'd basically be financing for 30 months of owning the new vehicle - plus BMW approved DAP. Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #22
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

any updates?

Quote:
Ah, thanks for that vote of confidence. Nic is who I've been dealing with, and he is very knowledgeable and responsive so far.

Now that I have the sunroof noise issues resolved, I'm back into looking at this. Of course, another M550 has popped up for sale that has both DAP and DHP, and 10k lower mileage. I'd have to sacrifice the "luxury" seating package in mine (but that's not a major loss), however I'd be paying about $120 more a month (the money I'd put down is a wash for what I'd spend on the DAP retrofit).

I've seen various takes on DHP, some love it and wouldn't want to drive their M550 without it.. but at that monthly price difference, I'm thinking to still just go the retrofit route with my current vehicle (maybe easier said than done having not found a vehicle around here to test DHP). But then again I rationalize lower mileage and DHP MSRP of $3600, which I'd basically be financing for 30 months of owning the new vehicle - plus BMW approved DAP. Decisions, decisions.

Did you go ahead with it then ? I am in the same boat and have been working out the parts / coding required for ACC retrofit. I have parking assistant plus so already have the DSC Pump. I do not have any driving assistant packages at the moment. This might help you as well if you want to source the parts out yourself and then get these installed locally and then just get it coded locally/remotely.

All ACC sensor parts:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=66_0422

* I have managed to buy a used sensor off ebay with back bracket and front Radome (cover) for £210. Front cover is fairly battered up so bought a new one off ebay £35 so £245 altogether for the Radar. I have sourced the screws/rivets etc directly from BMW for £28.

Steering Wheel Buttons :

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_5358

* You need No: 2 for ACC only and No: 3 for Driving Assistant Plus. I have managed to buy a used steering wheel off ebay with the buttons for £110 and plan to resell it after replacing the buttons so might even out but going to worry about it later.

Front Grill:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4126

* You need No:2. I have managed to source it for £35 original BMW brand new off ebay.

Wiring Harness/Loom:

This is the trickiest part, there isn't a part number so most of the retrofitters are making the harness specifically for the car so the option could be is to just get wiring harness / remote coding option from the guys you are talking to already or get a local retrofitter to make the loom. From research following 2 connectors will be required :

I have ordered these from BMW for £18. But safer option is to buy the pre-made loom. I luckily know someone local who can make the loom, do install and coding + ACC sensor calibration for around £250.

As you can see parts above can be sourced for around £245+£28+£110+£35+£18 = £436 and final cost including labour + coding comes to £686 / $893 so half the price really. Although it has taken a lot of research specially finding someone who can install and code it for you but my aim really has been to get it done and document it so it can get easier for all others.

I have been side-tracked for the time being as looking at getting Driving Assistant plus retrofitting options as well. This will need 4 x new Sensors + Mirrors/control unit with blind spot assist functionality + Button Type 3 from the link above + FSCs for lane departure and lane change warning + wiring harness and a brilliant coder but it is work in progress at the moment . EleBest Pte have quoted €8000 for it . I believe it can be achieved for a lot cheaper but again someone will have to try things out before we can get to that point.
Appreciate 1