BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Stage 2 M550 dragy and dyno results

10-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Formula94
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Stage 2 M550 dragy and dyno results

It is amazing what knowing your powerband and using that to set your shift points can do for "time slips". I bought my 2018 M550 in January, had the Armytrix catless downpipes and catback exhaust installed in March. Then I ordered a stage 2 tune from DME Tuning. The car definitely felt like a rocket, but I had no dyno or time slips to go off of. In August I finally got a Dragy unit.
I was a bit disappointed at first because it was only running in the 11.5 range...not what I was expecting based on times I have seen others with similar setups o. This forum run. I chalked it up to hot weather. Last month it finally started getting cooler outside of Chicago so I set up the unit and gave it another go. This time running 11.41@121...still not what I was expecting.
I texted the guys at DME and they told me others with the same program are running 11.1. I just needed to figure out the best way to launch and when to shift. I must admit that I was skeptical at that point. How could shifting cause nearly a half second difference. And even if I was spinning at launch, my MPH should be higher, even if the E.T. was slower.
Finally I got some time on the dyno at Comet Motorsports (Mustang Dyno).
Best results came when pulling in 5th gear:

488 whp / 573 wtq

Needless to say, when figuring what that meant for flywheel power, I was very happy. The gents at Comet figure that based on the weight of the car and other variables, he was estimating 28% power loss from the engine to the dyno. That would put the engine numbers at:

625 brake horsepower and 733 lb-ft of torque!

Needless to say, I'm sorry I was doubting the tune from DME Tuning...it delivered the power they advertise for stage 2!

But who cares about dyno numbers...it is real world application that really matters.
We had some very nice weather today around lunch (55 degrees) so I decided to try again now that I knew to shift just shy of 6k RPM. With 1/4 tank, she ran

11.08 @ 124.6 mph!

I couldn't believe it! Dyno results and dragy results below. Unfortunately I don't know how to post a video of the run.

A little more traction and look out 10s! I can't wait to enjoy that elite company.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SMED75.00
      10-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Formula94
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Here are the 4th gear pulls on the mustang dyno.
It looks lines look a little funky once it gets above 5500 rpm. Could some sort of torque limiter be kicking in, or are the stock ignition coils not up to par? I already the ngk 2 step colder plugs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0