BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis cleaning 759i wheels is no fun. How to fix that?

07-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

cleaning 759i wheels is no fun. How to fix that?

What methods/brushes are you using to save time and get into the many channels/ grooves of these wheels?

I have the sonax wheel cleaner which is fantastic. I use it every couple of washes but try to also use just soap and water in between. I figure less chemicals the better for long term finish durability.

I'm figuring the only way to get these wheels clean is to use a multiple tool approach.

Wheel woolies (straight and right angled)
A hand wash mitt
Long handle soft bristle brush for the face
Maybe an EZ Detail wire brush too

Thoughts?

Will a 1900psi washer help to clean the wheels without agitation? I've stayed away from pressure washers in the past due to the pain in the butt to setup/breakdown.
      07-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
What methods/brushes are you using to save time and get into the many channels/ grooves of these wheels?

I have the sonax wheel cleaner which is fantastic. I use it every couple of washes but try to also use just soap and water in between. I figure less chemicals the better for long term finish durability.

I'm figuring the only way to get these wheels clean is to use a multiple tool approach.

A hand wash mitt

Thoughts?

Will a 1900psi washer help to clean the wheels without agitation? I've stayed away from pressure washers in the past due to the pain in the butt to setup/breakdown.
Go get a hand wash. Boom.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:

A hand wash mitt

Thoughts?

Yeah, but most of them won't be thorough with these wheels. And I've got to worry about the acidic cleaners they apply and the worn out tools they use to agitate.... Not exactly a fix.
      07-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:

A hand wash mitt

Thoughts?

Yeah, but most of them won't be thorough with these wheels. And I've got to worry about the acidic cleaners they apply and the worn out tools they use to agitate.... Not exactly a fix.
I have the same wheels and they look fantastic when I go to places that do a hand wash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
For wheels specifically, I've found that my hands work far better than any tool or combination of tools to clean wheels. Reason for this is because the wrist is an ellipsoid synovial joint (basically allowing movement along two axis). Your wrist can move just about anyway you want it to- flexion, extension, abduction, or adduction.

It might be more physical work as you have to turn, twist, maneuver your hand/fingers into the crevices, but it allows for a more thorough clean compared to a brush or tool that you just scrub or rub back and forth. Usually I'll just use warm water and car wash soap from Chemical Guys and clean the wheels by hand.

Your last question about the pressure washer is a good question. I've actually been looking at some as of late and was wondering similar things (would a certain PSI pressure washer be strong enough to clean the car without soap for example). My answer to your question wold be yes, 1900PSI is enough to clean the wheels without agitation. However, the GPM (gallons per minute) is the other number you need to look at to determine that.

A pressure washer would sure make it easier to clean the car and the wheels!

This explains PSI and GPM well to help you if you decide to get a pressure washer. It was a reply to a question someone made regarding a pressure washer on Amazon. This was the question- What is stronger- 2,000 PSI or 3,000 PSI?

"3000 PSI is stronger than 2000 PSI. However, the pressure is not the only factor that affects cleaning power. The amount of water makes a great difference in the amount of cleaning a pressure washer can accomplish. One way to account for both of these factors is to multiply them together. A pressure washer with 3000 PSI and 1 gallon per minute (GPM) of water flow will have about as much cleaning power as a 2000 PSI washer with 1.5 GPM would, and a 2000 PSI unit with 2 GPM would be able to clean quicker. The difference the pressure (PSI) makes is the strength with which the water jet can knock debris loose. The difference the flow (GPM) makes is how much work that stream can do.
An exaggeration might help illustrate this. Imagine a 5000 PSI pressure washer that had only 0.1 GPM of flow. It could remove amazingly stubborn dirt, but the jet stream is so narrow it's like a laser and can only clean the smallest area at any single time. It could clean absolutely anything off of a plate, no matter how stuck on it is, however it would take three hours of work to clean the entire plate, even if it wasn't very dirty at all, because no matter how much you aim the stream around, it's cleaning only the tiniest hair-thin line of debris from the plate's surface, requiring a LOT of sweeping back and forth.
A garden hose with no attachment might be the opposite extreme (or pouring a cup of water), so that the entire plate's surface would be covered with water in less than a second of two, but the pressure is not enough to actually loosen and remove any debris except the loosest.
A medium between those two extremes might be a 1000 PSI pressure washer with 1.5 GPM of flow. That might be powerful enough to clean everything except for the most stubborn things from the plate, and could do it in 10 seconds of time.
2000 PSI at the same flow of 1.5 GPM would take the same amount of time to cover the entire plate with the same width (angle of jet spread) nozzle (for example 20 degrees), but would be able to clean debris that's twice as stuck. (Alternatively, you could spread the beam twice as wide and it would be the same as two 1000 PSI jets side by side, but each with half the flow, totaling 0.75 GPM each.)
The pressure is about how much strength the jet has to knock debris loose. Double the pressure means double the strength with which to remove something.
The flow is about how much work you can get done for any given time. Double the flow means double the speed you can clean things."

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 2
Dobie Dog737.50
clee1982796.00
      08-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:

A hand wash mitt

Thoughts?

I use the long fuzzy 16" bendable pole that I move in and out of each spoke and it works really well. Before getting this tool it would take a few minutes a wheel and I didn't do as good of a job with all the spokes. This thing comes luckily with a rubber cap so you don't ever scratch your wheels. And I use the water/meguires car soap when I'm done with rest of car
Attached Images

2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
the wrist is an ellipsoid synovial joint (basically allowing movement along two axis). Your wrist can move just about anyway you want it to- flexion, extension, abduction, or adduction.
You my friend are a twisted man!
      08-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
swalsh2333
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive4.0i

I ceramic coated my wheels and got a Ryobi handheld pressure washer (RY141612) from home depot. It's really easy to set-up. I put quick connect hose fittings on my hose and on the pressure washer. Then I bought a foam sprayer from the rag company (iK Foam Sprayer) that I put P&S BRAKE BUSTER ACID-FREE FOAMING WHEEL CLEANER in. It takes less than 1-2 minutes to foam the wheels down, wait a couple of minutes and pressure wash the wheels. 1,600 PSI won't damage the wheels at all. The brake dust and grime literally washes off instantly. You can do the whole job in 10 minutes if you stay on top of the wheels. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Wheel brush (non-scratch)

These work awesome

https://www.autogeek.net/8inmoorbohaw.html
Appreciate 0