BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Any B58 (540i) owners tried the BMS filter?

06-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #23
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

I finally got around to installing mine today. The install was very easy with the exception of the cramped work space for several of the screws (don't drop one or it's gone forever). This mod can easily be taken back to the stock box and filter in 15 minutes now that I understand how to work faster in the tight space. From a sound perspective I don't hear much more as far a turbo spool goes but I certainly hear a deeper MPPSK exhaust note under heavy load. From a power perspective combined with the MPPSK no doubt this mod is worth the minor cost as it seems to add just a bit more lively punch through the mid gear range. It's a simple equation. Simple install, easily reversible, low cost, better sound, more power = more fun!
      12-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #24
PartsEvolved
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp, E53 44i, E38 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
OK.. got my filter kit last night and went through the install. First thing I have to say - ignore the above video and any literature that comes from the website. Although we're still talking B58, the installation on the G30 540i is actually quite different.

The kit comes with the billet intake holder and the filter, plus an elbow and mounting block. I've included pictures for everything, so I hope that helps.

The filter box doesn't have clips on the G30. It's secured by 6 star head cap screws that are partly captured within the upper airbox lid. Undo those, unscrew and remove the air intake sensor, then remove the hose clamp. The top assembly then lifts clear. You need to retain one of the screws so you can mount the filter.

Be careful about how you mount the elbow and block. It is possible to incorrectly install it across the edge of the airbox (which will damage the box lip). All the holes will still line up however, so you need to make sure you have plenty of light - it's a cramped space down there.

Basically, put the small riser block onto the outer edge of the airbox and secure it using one of the cap screws from the box. I suggest you also loosely thread the elbow from the BMS filter onto the body of the intake. It's such a small space, it's easy to drop something. Put the filter onto the intake pipe, tighten the hose clamp, install the sensor into the BMS intake, then tighten. There is an elongated slot in the elbow which allows the filter to slide forward/back so you can correctly position it in the airbox.

Now - enjoy. The sound is definitely improved. You can hear the turbo spool and intake far more clearly and I think the better flow will certainly help. In combo with the MPPSK, this has definitely made the car far more enjoyable for me. It's still a quiet luxury cruiser in low revs, but stick the boot into it, and things really wake up in a hurry. It really pulls strongly now. I won't take it to the track, but the stats suggest a 12s 1/4 mile and 10.7s 0-100mph (RWD;sDrive 540i w. MPPSK). I was initially disappointed they didn't bring the xDrive out here, but the mid-pace acceleration on this thing is really impressive.
This is a great write up! Thanks for posting.

I'm wondering if the Agency Power intake would work without issues, in the same way, on the G30 540i. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #25
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy5 View Post
Does anyone think dealerships will make a fuss over this mod? Not something you can quickly take on and off for service, so I'm curious if voiding the warranty is a concern.
They can only void the portion of the warranty that was affected by the modification. So putting on different wheels would not affect the engine, for example. If you had an issue with drivability, then I can see them blaming the intake and refusing to do anything until you return it to stock.

I wish you guys would go to the considerable trouble and expense of doing a before and after dyno for these things. Only then can you prove that the change made a difference in performance. I stand by my earlier claims (in other posts in probably other forums) that these intakes make no performance improvement. In fact, they can decrease performance because you are changing the conditions under which the ECM expects to operate.

Now, if it sounds better and that's all you are trying to do, then that's fine. Or you think it looks cool. But these engineers know what they're doing, and if they could get extra horsepower without sacrificing engine health by simply putting on a gauze filter instead of a paper filter, then they would come that way from the factory.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #26
Martin30x
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i xdrive

Did mine today. I suggest you to unplug front grill shutters (top). And keep in open position.

It will keep lower shutter open too.

This will improve cooling a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #27
eightball805
Rep
Drives: G30 540I, E46 330I

I read through this before getting the BMS intake for my G30 540I and after installing I can say without a doubt it makes much better engine sounds when accelerating (I did not expect to like the turbo sound as much as I do but it's nice), I had to go to the dealer to fix my seat sensor (you know the 1) and did not want them poking around and making a fuss about the intake so I put it back to stock for the visit (literally took me 10-20 mins after work), the sound difference is not incredibly drastic but it is enough to make it sound just right to me (I still have stock exhaust with the valve safetied open). For those concerned about hot air there is a simple fix that seems to work well for me, i made a heat shield out of sheet metal aluminum and covered it with stick on heat shield off amazon, added seals to the top edges to minimize air coming from the exhaust area, it takes a bit of trial fittings to get the contours right with the crossbar going over the intake area but it really seems to help because when I open my hood after driving home in 90F temps my intake area is much cooler the the rest of the engine bay.

I am now looking for ways to maximize air intake from the front grill to increase flow, there are scoops sold for 2,3,4 series that go behind the left top grill to increase airflow into the air box but i cant find one for a G30, if anyone knows of 1 please let me know.
Appreciate 0