BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Any B58 (540i) owners tried the BMS filter?

05-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Any B58 (540i) owners tried the BMS filter?

Has anyone upgraded/replaced their air filter? I was eyeing off the BMS billet filter

http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_340i...ce_intake.html
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
I was too. I actually bought one off eBay but it was the wrong size...still debating.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

I have it on my 340i and it works great. Still utilizes the lower air box and snorkel to draw in air from the front and sounds pretty decent.
      05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Following. Curious as well.
      05-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I've ordered one. I'll update the thread once it's installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #6
Max86
Rep
Drives: 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I have it on my 340i and it works great. Still utilizes the lower air box and snorkel to draw in air from the front and sounds pretty decent.
Could you elaborate on the sound? How does it change/improve? Always interested in ways to make it louder. Got the mppsk and looking at a sport cat, but i like the idea of getting more actual engine sound instead of exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Could you elaborate on the sound? How does it change/improve? Always interested in ways to make it louder. Got the mppsk and looking at a sport cat, but i like the idea of getting more actual engine sound instead of exhaust sound.
There is a nice sound increase, but the oem silencer is still on the intake pipe so it's not as loud as the Agency intake and such. It's a very simple intake and it works great.

If you want the loudest sounding intake on the market right now then Agency is the way to go.
      05-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive M Sport

I'm thinking about doing this but the comments on this video regarding bringing in hot air are giving me pause. Any truth to this?

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OK.. got my filter kit last night and went through the install. First thing I have to say - ignore the above video and any literature that comes from the website. Although we're still talking B58, the installation on the G30 540i is actually quite different.

The kit comes with the billet intake holder and the filter, plus an elbow and mounting block. I've included pictures for everything, so I hope that helps.

The filter box doesn't have clips on the G30. It's secured by 6 star head cap screws that are partly captured within the upper airbox lid. Undo those, unscrew and remove the air intake sensor, then remove the hose clamp. The top assembly then lifts clear. You need to retain one of the screws so you can mount the filter.

Be careful about how you mount the elbow and block. It is possible to incorrectly install it across the edge of the airbox (which will damage the box lip). All the holes will still line up however, so you need to make sure you have plenty of light - it's a cramped space down there.

Basically, put the small riser block onto the outer edge of the airbox and secure it using one of the cap screws from the box. I suggest you also loosely thread the elbow from the BMS filter onto the body of the intake. It's such a small space, it's easy to drop something. Put the filter onto the intake pipe, tighten the hose clamp, install the sensor into the BMS intake, then tighten. There is an elongated slot in the elbow which allows the filter to slide forward/back so you can correctly position it in the airbox.

Now - enjoy. The sound is definitely improved. You can hear the turbo spool and intake far more clearly and I think the better flow will certainly help. In combo with the MPPSK, this has definitely made the car far more enjoyable for me. It's still a quiet luxury cruiser in low revs, but stick the boot into it, and things really wake up in a hurry. It really pulls strongly now. I won't take it to the track, but the stats suggest a 12s 1/4 mile and 10.7s 0-100mph (RWD;sDrive 540i w. MPPSK). I was initially disappointed they didn't bring the xDrive out here, but the mid-pace acceleration on this thing is really impressive.
Attached Images

Last edited by DBO; 05-18-2019 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 4
clee1982797.50
Dobie Dog738.50
cna90176.00
      05-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Isn't this open air air filter sucking in hot air from the engine bay?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #11
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
+1
      05-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #12
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm by no means an expert and can't quantify any of this unless I take it over a dyno, but I've done enough engine building and modding in the past to know that better HP from free flowing filters are not a myth (especially at higher RPMs).

Although there's obviously some truth behind concerns of ingesting warmer air, you need to weigh up the benefits of a better flowing supply (i.e. more air) against the loss in air volume due to temp. So you'll want to quantify the difference in air temp between a plastic box with or without lid. That filter will no doubt make better power under ideal conditions (and BMS, as well as other dyno figures back that up). If the engine bay is cooking - that's not ideal. The ideal setup would be a ram or scoop that funnels nice clean air to the filter - no question about it.

So if we take other intake cooling out of the equation (i.e. intercooler), and we take a rough guess at that setup vs. stock, what do you think the temperature differential would be? Keep in mind that the intake on the G30 there still funnels some air into that same area, so we're not talking about blocking things up and taking hot air from directly above the exhaust manifold. The plastic box has little to no thermal benefits, so if the engine bay is cooking, that box will be nice and steamy as well. So let's say you're OEM box has an internal reading of 70deg.F. Now take the lid off, .. worse case .. let's, be generous and call it 100 deg.F (and I seriously doubt you'll see a 30 degree differential). At those estimates, you're looking at a thermal volume factor of just 0.06

Again, not sure about how much extra the filter will flow, but I'm willing to bet that the factor is more favourable than the volume loss incurred due to heat.

I'm not going to try and sell anyone on these - heck a good K&N filter that fits the OEM form factor will probably give you same kind of results (minus the sounds). I can only report on what I've experience with this setup and so far, I certainly haven't felt like the engine is making any less power (quite the opposite). The higher revs are noticeably more eager. The audio benefits are obviously a personal choice, but I love that extra bit of aggression in the engine note as well.
Appreciate 3
clee1982797.50
Dobie Dog738.50
r33_RGSport12963.50
      05-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Quote:
I'm by no means an expert and can't quantify any of this unless I take it over a dyno, but I've done enough engine building and modding in the past to know that better HP from free flowing filters are not a myth (especially at higher RPMs).

Although there's obviously some truth behind concerns of ingesting warmer air, you need to weigh up the benefits of a better flowing supply (i.e. more air) against the loss in air volume due to temp. So you'll want to quantify the difference in air temp between a plastic box with or without lid. That filter will no doubt make better power under ideal conditions (and BMS, as well as other dyno figures back that up). If the engine bay is cooking - that's not ideal. The ideal setup would be a ram or scoop that funnels nice clean air to the filter - no question about it.

So if we take other intake cooling out of the equation (i.e. intercooler), and we take a rough guess at that setup vs. stock, what do you think the temperature differential would be? Keep in mind that the intake on the G30 there still funnels some air into that same area, so we're not talking about blocking things up and taking hot air from directly above the exhaust manifold. The plastic box has little to no thermal benefits, so if the engine bay is cooking, that box will be nice and steamy as well. So let's say you're OEM box has an internal reading of 70deg.F. Now take the lid off, .. worse case .. let's, be generous and call it 100 deg.F (and I seriously doubt you'll see a 30 degree differential). At those estimates, you're looking at a thermal volume factor of just 0.06

Again, not sure about how much extra the filter will flow, but I'm willing to bet that the factor is more favourable than the volume loss incurred due to heat.

I'm not going to try and sell anyone on these - heck a good K&N filter that fits the OEM form factor will probably give you same kind of results (minus the sounds). I can only report on what I've experience with this setup and so far, I certainly haven't felt like the engine is making any less power (quite the opposite). The higher revs are noticeably more eager. The audio benefits are obviously a personal choice, but I love that extra bit of aggression in the engine note as well.
Wow, that was a full on essay answer.

Good that you have some knowledge about it.

It was a sarcastic post by me. My apology for that.

The simple answer is, it is a turbo car afterall.
No matter how much warm of air that got sucked in, it still have to pass the burning hot turbo then got cooled down by water to air intercooler system.

Have a great weekend now.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
DBO159.00
      05-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #14
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wish you hadn't posted that! Now I really want one...and my car is just a lease...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Is there any increased noise when cruising? Or is it purely under load/throttle?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Is there any increased noise when cruising? Or is it purely under load/throttle?
I'm not noticing any noise under normal cruise. It's a relatively subtle change, but still obvious, most notable under full throttle or low ambient noise (e.g. when you first take off from a standing start). Don't expect major shift in how the car performs or sounds due to this.

Last edited by DBO; 05-22-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
OK.. got my filter kit last night and went through the install.
Thank you for the write up on the install. Nice work. I ordered one today as well. I am not expecting much as far as power gain but the increased sound of the turbo spool is always a nice addition.
      05-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #18
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
Thank you for the write up on the install. Nice work. I ordered one today as well. I am not expecting much as far as power gain but the increased sound of the turbo spool is always a nice addition.
Let us know how the install goes and how it sounds. Mine is a lease so I really shouldn’t do this but I want to
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #19
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

Quote:
OK.. got my filter kit last night and went through the install. First thing I have to say - ignore the above video and any literature that comes from the website. Although we're still talking B58, the installation on the G30 540i is actually quite different.

The kit comes with the billet intake holder and the filter, plus an elbow and mounting block. I've included pictures for everything, so I hope that helps.

The filter box doesn't have clips on the G30. It's secured by 6 star head cap screws that are partly captured within the upper airbox lid. Undo those, unscrew and remove the air intake sensor, then remove the hose clamp. The top assembly then lifts clear. You need to retain one of the screws so you can mount the filter.

Be careful about how you mount the elbow and block. It is possible to incorrectly install it across the edge of the airbox (which will damage the box lip). All the holes will still line up however, so you need to make sure you have plenty of light - it's a cramped space down there.

Basically, put the small riser block onto the outer edge of the airbox and secure it using one of the cap screws from the box. I suggest you also loosely thread the elbow from the BMS filter onto the body of the intake. It's such a small space, it's easy to drop something. Put the filter onto the intake pipe, tighten the hose clamp, install the sensor into the BMS intake, then tighten. There is an elongated slot in the elbow which allows the filter to slide forward/back so you can correctly position it in the airbox.

Now - enjoy. The sound is definitely improved. You can hear the turbo spool and intake far more clearly and I think the better flow will certainly help. In combo with the MPPSK, this has definitely made the car far more enjoyable for me. It's still a quiet luxury cruiser in low revs, but stick the boot into it, and things really wake up in a hurry. It really pulls strongly now. I won't take it to the track, but the stats suggest a 12s 1/4 mile and 10.7s 0-100mph (RWD;sDrive 540i w. MPPSK). I was initially disappointed they didn't bring the xDrive out here, but the mid-pace acceleration on this thing is really impressive.
I have a "19" B58 and noticed I have a secondary filter box or silencer. If u have the same did u remove it? What about the plastic tube for it? Damn thing looks like a mini laptop
Attached Images

05-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #20
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
I have a "19" B58 and noticed I have a secondary filter box or silencer. If u have the same did u remove it? What about the plastic tube for it? Damn thing looks like a mini laptop
Yea mine is the same. No need to remove. I took that smaller pipe off for better access during the install, but then put things back where they belong.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #21
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive M Sport

Does anyone think dealerships will make a fuss over this mod? Not something you can quickly take on and off for service, so I'm curious if voiding the warranty is a concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #22
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy5 View Post
Not something you can quickly take on and off for service
Why not? I reckon about 10 minutes tops to put it all back to stock.
Appreciate 0