BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Got screwed?

09-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Got screwed?

Appropriate (I hope) for the pricing forum, I suggest that we share our stories of getting screwed buying a car. I think we've all done it once or twice, where we threw logic and restraint out the window, or maybe we were just a bit ignorant or just simply got played.

This isn't to rant and vent, but just to show our fellow enthusiasts that you are not alone. It happens to the best of us.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I'd say I got screwed purchasing my last car as I didn't know as much as I do now about the process end to end. Well screwed in some parts and not screwed in others.

I purchased my Mercedes C300 from the dealer CPO and ended up paying sticker price for it as they weren't willing to negotiate price and even ended up paying a few junk fees such as a detailing fee or something similar. But this was my "first" car purchase (well technically second, but I had an accident that totaled my first car within a few months of buying it).

I went CPO 1 year old as I had read a lot on how bad an idea it is to buy cars like Mercedes and BMW new due to the depreciation hit being so high and why eat that? Since then I've learned a lot and my BMW is on order right now and will be a new car purchase.

New can have its advantages, like knowing its history, and built is even better as you don't need to compromise on whatever options the car comes with. When I got my C300 there were options I wanted, like adaptive headlights, that weren't on the cars on sale used at the time. Of course, I could have waited for the golden car to pop up, but building allowed me to not have that issue. Especially since I had the same issue looking at new BMWs. They either didn't have the options I wanted or had options added in I didn't want which pushed things out of budget.

This time I've done a far better job negotiating and researching ahead of time so I've evaporated most of, or all, of the first 2 years of estimated depreciation making the new car built the way I like it no more expensive than a year old CPO I was considering.

The biggest problem ordering is the delay. I didn't do PCD or ED, sadly, but I'm still waiting on a car ordered in early August to be delivered.

All that being said, there really isn't any true screwing going on. The sales people want to get you as close to sticker price as they can and we want to pay as little as we can. Sometimes we'll win and sometimes we'll lose. I may not be able to get as good as deal on my next BMW or I may get a better one. Incentives and market realities change so every time you hit the pavement trying to buy will yield slightly different results. I was very happy with my Mercedes and I hope I'm equally happy with my BMW and pricing just fades away after a while. Especially since I don't lease I finance and pay my cars off in 3 years.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE922993.50
      10-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

In the U.K. at the moment the discounts off of list are really good. Anyone paying anything near to list is getting well screwed.
I have ordered a 530e optioned up - list is £ 63k paying £ 53k. Been offered (and considering switching) a 745e optioned up with a list of £ 87k but paying £ 61k so only £ 8k more than a similar spec’d 530e
As I have had 6 New Mercedes previously and they couldn’t deliver a E300e until next April, they offered me a S560e L for £ 66k which was £ 34k off list ! It was way too big so I didn’t take it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

at 21 years of age working FT in a call center full time and putting myself thru school with no other means of financial support... i decided to buy a new car Mazda 626 V6... paid around 23K over 3 years. I'm calling it a screw up as i soon regretted it as i had to work so much harder to make payments. It was so avoidable. I promised myself never ever to over extend myself... a promise I've kept to date.
Appreciate 0