BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis TPMS Failure (Green wheels but no pressure)

08-03-2023, 09:50 AM   #1
mrjlaunch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e (G30)

TPMS Failure (Green wheels but no pressure)

My G30 is displaying green wheels (i.e. all ok) in the infotainment system's tyre pressure status screen, but it displays no pressure readings on any of those 4 wheels.

Probing with ISTA it keeps reporting the TPMS sensor position locations are "unknown", despite having reset the TPMS multiple times through the infotainment system. Each time the reset completes successfully, but it still doesn't know the TPMS positions.

Yesterday I performed a manual coding of the TPMS sensors with ISTA to set the TPMS sensors locations manually and although the pressure readings and accompanying data were received promptly without issue, when I completed the coding the vehicle persisted with reporting the sensor locations were unknown!

Some background information, the system appeared to be working fine but I noticed a fault reported in ISTA for the front left TPMS sensor a few months ago. Proactively I replaced the suspect sensor but after doing that I've had problems with the pressure readings not displaying. It did take a very long time to reset/calibrate the TPMS after installing the new sensor but eventually the pressure readings on all wheels were displayed in the car. However eventually it stopped displaying the pressure readings and I haven't been able to get it working since.

The car is still reporting an issue with the front left TPMS sensor despite it being a brand new replacement of the old sensor and in ISTA it shows the sensor data being received, thus working.

I'll put pics below, but right now I suspect either the:
- New TPMS sensor isn't working correctly (which seems unlikely)
- The reported fault with the front left sensor is misleading and it's something like the right front sensor
- Or there is a problem with the DSC Remote Control Receiver unit as others have found on the F30 forum with their antennas failing (seems unlikely as there are no other reported faults in ISTA).

These are all guesses though, so I'm hoping someone here with more experience can share their thoughts.

IMAGE: Fault code (48071F) ISTA reported before I changed the front left TPMS sensor....last log seem strange
IMAGE: Sensor data/readings before I changed the front left TPMS sensor (wheel 1)....crazy high 1275 failures, on all sensors!
IMAGE: Fault logs before I changed the front left TPMS sensor....looks reasonable, always the front left wheel causing trouble. The front right log was a puncture.
IMAGE: Fault logs and sensor data/readings after I changed the front left TPMS sensor (wheel 1).... still faults the front left wheel despite the sensor reporting zero faults. Rear left and right positions actually correct in this image for some reason.

Last edited by mrjlaunch; 08-03-2023 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:26 AM   #2
mrjlaunch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e (G30)

## Update ##

After replacing the front right TPMS sensor a few days ago the problem seems to have cleared!
Though it didn't seem to resolve the issue initially (as no values were being reported after resetting the TPMS system through iDrive), but around a day later the pressure readings started reporting on the car with the new front right sensor

It seems even though the old front right sensor was reporting 30% battery and full 255 signal strength, the readings weren't stable and fooling the system into reporting issues with the new front left sensor.

IMAGE: Sensor data/readings before after changing the front right TPMS sensor (wheel 2)....interestingly the 1275 failures on the rear sensors hasn't cleared but the front left did.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:30 AM   #3
Mnik
Chile
Rep
Drives: BMW M550 LCI 2021

Hi. I have the same problem, green tire display but no readings. I had perform reset many times. I don’t have ISTA but I have Bimmercode and Bimmelink, do you know If I can diagnose the same as you with these?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:05 PM   #4
capese21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 5 series Msport G30 530e

Launch Bimmerlink and clear all the codes and the pressure readings will come back. If all wheels are green then the sensors are working.
Appreciate 0