BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Wheel stud conversion, what length for capped lug nuts?

11-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Wheel stud conversion, what length for capped lug nuts?

Hey, all. I'm about to put some new wheels on my 540ix and want to do a wheel stud conversion on it to make use of these Advance Wheel Locks. Problem is I don't know what length studs to get. The shortest I've found is 65mm, and even it says it can handle up to 12mm spacer. That makes me wonder if traditional, capped lug nuts (not the open kind used for racing) will work on them. or if they will bottom out on the cap. Likewise, I don't know how deep the threads are on these locking lug nuts. So, I don't really know what to get. Can anyone help?

(Please, no posts about "wheel locks don't work" or "a determined thief blah blah blah." I know this but if I'm going to run custom wheels, I at least want to make them think twice about the effort of getting them off. Near as I can tell, this conical style locking lug seems to be the most difficult to get off without a key.)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 03:39 PM   #2
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, I just measured the mounting flange and it's 16mm thick. I'm really thinking I need something much shorter.

Thinking in order to fit a 65mm stud, a capped lug nut internal depth would have to be in the neighborhood of 55-60mm.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
Hey, all. I'm about to put some new wheels on my 540ix and want to do a wheel stud conversion on it to make use of these Advance Wheel Locks. Problem is I don't know what length studs to get. The shortest I've found is 65mm, and even it says it can handle up to 12mm spacer. That makes me wonder if traditional, capped lug nuts (not the open kind used for racing) will work on them. or if they will bottom out on the cap. Likewise, I don't know how deep the threads are on these locking lug nuts. So, I don't really know what to get. Can anyone help?

(Please, no posts about "wheel locks don't work" or "a determined thief blah blah blah." I know this but if I'm going to run custom wheels, I at least want to make them think twice about the effort of getting them off. Near as I can tell, this conical style locking lug seems to be the most difficult to get off without a key.)
The studs that you are looking at, are they a M14x1.25 to M14x.15 conversion too?

Just thought I'd mention it as the wheel hubs on a G30 are M14X1.25 - The lockers in the link you shared are M14X1.5

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 03:34 PM   #4
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can get 1.25 to 1.5 studs. Apparently they use them for racing purposes because they are a little faster to get on and off. I don't about the speed, though. ...but then, I haven't decided if it's a good idea to switch to coarse thread for daily driving purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:53 PM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For those that are curious, I just had an extremely pleasant call with Liz, the Advance Wheel Locks owner's wife. Honestly, she seems to be basically 50/50 with the company now. They are about to release a BMW, et al specific locking bolt for vehicles with the 14x1.25 lug bolts, like we have. They are just waiting for a patent to finalize. (Apparently, they had a previous product intellectual product that was stolen, and they aren't taking any chances, this time.)

Anyway, she was very happy to speak to me and answer any questions. I literally spoke to her for over 20 minutes because every time she would say something about their product, it raised another question. Good questions, though. Not questions about feasibility, reliability, or quality but more like questions around their future products and manufacturing expectations moving forward.

They are literally a mom and pop shop and were nearly put out of business when Donut Media ran a questionable at best video that depicted their locks being defeated. Watch the video, and you can see that they have a convenient cutaway just before the lock was "defeated." You can tell that Job (Jobe? I don't know how he spells his name.) wasn't putting a whole lot of effort at all into that ratchet he was using. She reached out to them to ask why they basically bought and installed the wrong lock set for the vehicle the tested, amongst other things. They never replied. You can see what she wrote them, here. Ironically and somewhat poetically, this Project Farm video saved their business. It's worth noting that they didn't even know the Project Farm guy bought their locks until after he tested them.

She said they had a veteran "forcible entry" lock smith and a reformed thief that now works as a security tester try to defeat them, and they both gave raving reviews. Take that for what it's worth, of course but based on what I've seen in my research, I'm leaning toward believing her.

I have to say that I am thus far very impressed, and am excited for the new locking bolts that she says should be out very soon. She said they have it ready to be made, R&D done, prototype tested, etc. They just need the patent.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 11-27-2023 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:58 PM   #6
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update on the locks. They are still awaiting patent review. Patent office is backed up because clerks apparently just kinda work on things when they want to (paraphrasing.) Anyway, no bolt style locks, yet.
Appreciate 0