BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Eagle F1 SUCKS

04-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Eagle F1 SUCKS

When I bought my car a year ago as a certified preowned vehicle these tires have been recently installed. I had read some reviews that were negative about them but since they were on the car and appeared to be practically brand new I drove on them for the last year

I've already had one sidewall bubble on me which I had to replace because it was making so much vibration.

I recently noticed I'm getting vibration again and my front left tire appears to have a slow leak check the tire and wouldn't you know it's another defect in the sidewall and it's bubbling out.

Maybe I hit a pothole which caused the damage but there's nothing wrong with the wheels no curb damage no dents

I'm 50 years old I have driven many other cars with low profile wheels and tires in the same areas and I've never had a set of tires have this kind of problem back to back.

I was hoping I could run these tires until they needed to be replaced but at this point I'd rather not keep replacing tires one at a time and I'd like to dump them I'm looking at the Michelin pilot sport threes. I know many guys get rid of the run flats but I would prefer to keep them as I don't have a spare

I've read good reviews on the pilot sport three run flat
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

You're looking at the best runflat tire option for this car. The Michelin Pilot Sport 3ZP.

The Goodyear is a total disaster.
      04-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post

I've already had one sidewall bubble on me which I had to replace because it was making so much vibration.
They do suck! I'm getting 4 new Michelin PS4S installed Friday. They can burn the F1's for all I care. One is bubbled, the other 3 are in great shape but the ride quality blows. The run flats are extremely hard for tire. Which they need to be.

I have towing from BMW for another 1.5 years, so I could care less about getting a flat. I'd rather have performance, comfort and less road noise.

Michelin just released the new PS5 tire. If you're looking for a non run flat, check them out. Getting great reviews.
      04-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

My 2019 CPO came with Continentals. I've only put about 1K miles on them in the last 2 1/2 months, but I do like them. When the time comes, I'll probably get another set.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...unflat%20Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #5
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My 2019 CPO came with Continentals. I've only put about 1K miles on them in the last 2 1/2 months, but I do like them. When the time comes, I'll probably get another set.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...unflat%20Tires
I have been tempted to replace my tires with non-run flats as I'm sure the options are better and you can get a better tire for cheaper but if you get a flat that's it you got a flat and you're stranded I don't like the idea of being trapped and having a wait for tow truck…

I wonder how much actual subjective difference I could tell between the run-flat pilot sport three versus the latest greatest nonrun flat
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I have been tempted to replace my tires with non-run flats as I'm sure the options are better and you can get a better tire for cheaper but if you get a flat that's it you got a flat and you're stranded I don't like the idea of being trapped and having a wait for tow truck…

I wonder how much actual subjective difference I could tell between the run-flat pilot sport three versus the latest greatest nonrun flat
I put Pilot Super Sports on our 2014 535 after the Michelin Primacy ROFs wore out. I hated them; they felt squishy, like the pressure was too low, which it wasn't. I went back to the factory Michelins and am happy. All ROFs are not created equal. The Bridgestone Driveguards were also a pretty good ROF, IMHO (had them on our 2012 535).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #7
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

The conti all seasons are great, I’m on my second set. Reminder to those thinking of changing, if you lease the car they will ding you for $1800 if you don’t have original BMW approved run flats on the car at turn-in, so hang onto the old tires and swap them back before turn-in. Unless of course you got the car with the high performance non-RF’s.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 07:43 PM   #8
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
The conti all seasons are great, I’m on my second set. Reminder to those thinking of changing, if you lease the car they will ding you for $1800 if you don’t have original BMW approved run flats on the car at turn-in, so hang onto the old tires and swap them back before turn-in. Unless of course you got the car with the high performance non-RF’s.
Good gawd......another reason NEVER to lease a car during this madness. The people who did are skrewed. If your lease is MORE than you can finance the car.....DONT DO IT !!
      04-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #9
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

I have the 19" Continental run-flats on my '22 M550 because they were the only all-seasons available when I ordered the car. While waiting for the car to arrive, I was really expecting to hate the tires and was planning on replacing them with non-run flats. However, now after about 4000 miles, I am very pleased with them. They are very quiet and while the ride is firm, it is never harsh. In fact, the 550 with these tires has the lowest road noise of any car I have ever driven....Lincoln, Cadillac or Lexus.

I would love to drive another 550 with all-season non-run flats for comparison but I have no reason to get rid of the Continentals at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #10
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

@OP make sure the wheels aren't bent out of shape. I had my car two weeks before getting a buckle. These run flats are made out of rock!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #11
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Run Flats do offer the option of driving a few miles without air and not leaving you stranded on a roadside. However, unless you happen to make it to Tirerack or Discount Tire warehouse, one's problems are not over. I am living in a small city and I doubt there is a single run flat locally available matching the GY's on my car. I recall a thread from one of the BMW forums where a member spent days waiting for the arrival of a matching replacement RF.

Aside from the advantage mentioned above, just about everything said of run flats is negative. In my case, I acquired a CPO car with new GY RFs. If only I could dream up a reason to replace these tires, I'd go with a Conti replacement soonest.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Run Flats do offer the option of driving a few miles without air and not leaving you stranded on a roadside. However, unless you happen to make it to Tirerack or Discount Tire warehouse, one's problems are not over. I am living in a small city and I doubt there is a single run flat locally available matching the GY's on my car. I recall a thread from one of the BMW forums where a member spent days waiting for the arrival of a matching replacement RF.

Aside from the advantage mentioned above, just about everything said of run flats is negative. In my case, I acquired a CPO car with new GY RFs. If only I could dream up a reason to replace these tires, I'd go with a Conti replacement soonest.
I live in a small town by no means and I still have to wait a couple of days for a tire to be delivered. Things would be different if I drive a Honda or any number of econobox. It's the size, not ROF or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #13
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Yes, but if one is traveling and has a RF punctured beyond repair, one can add a couple of days lodging to the price of a replacement. And the cost of these tires can be at least 30% more to purchase.

As you might tell, I am not a fan of RFs and have removed them from two (of three) BMWs about as quickly as I could justify the cost of conventional tires. These tires are little more than a way for BMW to cut production costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:28 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Yes, but if one is traveling and has a RF punctured beyond repair, one can add a couple of days lodging to the price of a replacement. And the cost of these tires can be at least 30% more to purchase.

As you might tell, I am not a fan of RFs and have removed them from two (of three) BMWs about as quickly as I could justify the cost of conventional tires. These tires are little more than a way for BMW to cut production costs.
Actually, it's a weight saving endeavor.
Appreciate 0