BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions "Open Workshop Order" Status

11-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
"Open Workshop Order" Status

Anyone knows what the above status mean when a car lands in the UK?

My car arrived in the UK last Friday and the status has been "Open Workshop Order" since then with delivery being end of next week. I sold my car on Monday, so looking to get this as soon as possible. Dealer hasn't been helpful saying there is nothing they can do. Frustrating knowing that it's taking more to get the car from Southampton to the dealer than Dingolfing to the ship
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Sounds like they are having to do some work at the port.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Sounds like they are having to do some work at the port.
That's what surprises me. I thought once a car lands in the country it's all down to the dealer to prep. :
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
BMW geniuses are telling me that's the final checks on the car before handing over to the dealer. I still don't know what the hell that means as dealers do PDIs and all testing on new cars usually done in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

BMW prioritizes "sold" cars at the port. So normally a sold car is in and out the same day. I repeat...I expect they are making some repairs.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW prioritizes "sold" cars at the port. So normally a sold car is in and out the same day. I repeat...I expect they are making some repairs.
That doesn't sound good. :

I'll then need to properly check out the car when it eventually comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 02:18 AM   #7
cerbera
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i xdrive M Sport

The car is inspected before it's loaded onto the transporter. If any damage is found at that stage it's diverted for remediation before dispatch to the dealer, and that is the stage your car is now...so, yes, go through it with a fine tooth comb when it arrives at the dealer.
ADS-UK498.50
      11-23-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerbera View Post
The car is inspected before it's loaded onto the transporter. If any damage is found at that stage it's diverted for remediation before dispatch to the dealer, and that is the stage your car is now...so, yes, go through it with a fine tooth comb when it arrives at the dealer.
Thanks. Wonder what would have gone wrong for the car to be sitting on that status since last Friday. :
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:24 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Did I read somewhere that if you ask the dealer what was done they are obliged to tell you but would not otherwise volunteer that info?
Hopefully nothing serious perhaps a ding or similar?
As others have said give it a good look over and you always have the right to reject if you are not happy for any reason although that’s a big decision to take.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #10
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Did I read somewhere that if you ask the dealer what was done they are obliged to tell you but would not otherwise volunteer that info?
Hopefully nothing serious perhaps a ding or similar?
As others have said give it a good look over and you always have the right to reject if you are not happy for any reason although that’s a big decision to take.
Thanks AP. I asked them what's going on as it arrived on Friday. Got the usual BS that it's out of their control when the car gets to them and they don't know anything further. I found out the Open Order Status via Genius who was totally unaware what it meant. Proceeded to tell me that the next stage is port of exit. When I said the car is already passed port of entry, then came back and said it's doing some final checks. So, clearly it's not a normal status.

As expected dealer has been unavailable last couple of days. Going to make a call again this morning.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

While I suspect that your car is undergoing some repairs at the port, I wouldn't worry about it. They do repairs at the factory if the QC finds a problem and you can't even tell and it is my understanding that the repairs at the port are similar.

Also...your dealership may not know. It is my understanding that they don't tell the dealership about repairs, at least not about minor ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
It's not necessarily repairs. There have been numerous people on various forums asking the same question, in each case I found there was no repairs. That status is used for cars being PDI'd at Southampton, which a lot of dealers are now opting for. Depending on backlogs, they can take a few days.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Thanks AP. I asked them what's going on as it arrived on Friday. Got the usual BS that it's out of their control when the car gets to them and they don't know anything further. I found out the Open Order Status via Genius who was totally unaware what it meant. Proceeded to tell me that the next stage is port of exit. When I said the car is already passed port of entry, then came back and said it's doing some final checks. So, clearly it's not a normal status.

As expected dealer has been unavailable last couple of days. Going to make a call again this morning.
Its a lot more common than you would think. When mine arrive last month, the dealership said all of their October cars were PDI'd at Southampton and all had that status at one point.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #14
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
It's not necessarily repairs. There have been numerous people on various forums asking the same question, in each case I found there was no repairs. That status is used for cars being PDI'd at Southampton, which a lot of dealers are now opting for. Depending on backlogs, they can take a few days.
I think you are right. I finally managed to get hold of the dealer today who said 5 days on that status isn't uncommon although the actual work takes only few hours. Maybe it's my impatience finally catching up
Appreciate 0