BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2015 M4 sold, M550i ordered !!!!!

07-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #67
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freitaucher View Post
This was a lot of fun to read. I live over in the west Michigan area, but grew up in TC. M22 is such a wonderful road. In fact, there are so many phenomenal roads in the Traverse and Leelanau peninsula area, I don't know why I ever agreed to move away from there! Anyhow, congrats on the car. I actually placed an order for an M550xi back in May and will be doing the performance center delivery next month. It's been a tedious wait, but having never done a PCD, I figure it's worth it. . .besides, just builds the anticipation. Funny enough, I actually drove all the way to Lansing just to test drive the M550 since they were the only delearship within 3 hours that had one on the lot at the time. Spoke with the sales manager there who was quite nice and we had a fun chat about BMW and cars over the years. Unfortunately, he didn't think he'd be able to find an allocation in the short time frame I had to do the PCD which turned out to be a good thing as I was able to get a heck of a deal on my car shopping around.

Congrats again! (I drive to Lansing nearly every week so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the M550xi. Surprisingly, I have only seen 1 M5 and no M550s at all on the entire west side of Michigan (few weekends in TC, Holland area, and weekly drives to Lansing).

Have fun!
Freitaucher
Small world Freitaucher! I grew up in TC too!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #68
Freitaucher
Rep
Drives: M3

That's really fun encountering a vintage "TC"-ier down here. When I moved down state, I still had my old driver's license with my TC address for a while. When I would give various places my new address explaining why it didn't match my license they'd all say the same thing: "You moved here from Traverse City? Why?!?"
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #69
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

LOL !!! Can't tell you how many people over the years have asked me the same when I tell them that my home town was TC!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #70
TomD01
Rep
Drives: M550

just took delivery
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      07-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #71
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

About time Tom! Sweet looking ride. I'd like to hear your thoughts after you've put some miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #72
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Is there any turbo hesitation at all with the twin turbo V-8? Aside from a little more power, how does the engine compare with your M4?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #73
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

Not sure if you know or not, but the M4 was also a twin turbo. Can't say there was ever much lag with the M4 and I'd have to say the same about the M550, at least in my first 3000 miles. Frankly, I LOVE the V8 in the car! Both the pulling power, smoothness and acceleration factor. Add in that V8 sound, which is sweet to hear, both inside the car and outside. And the AWD factor that the M4 didn't have is just icing on the cake for me.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #74
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think the M4 was actually a twin-power turbo, meaning one turbocharger with two sets of vanes split between the 6 cylinders for a smoother, synchronized boost. The M550i is a true twin turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:22 AM   #75
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier View Post
I think the M4 was actually a twin-power turbo, meaning one turbocharger with two sets of vanes split between the 6 cylinders for a smoother, synchronized boost. The M550i is a true twin turbo.
It is twin power, but from this it looks like it is twin turbo as well.

Got this from BMW's website.

Quote:
M TWIN POWER TURBO INLINE 6-CYLINDER PETROL ENGINE.
The 3.0-litre M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder petrol engine blends the best of two worlds: a high-revving character capable of up to 7,600 rpm, and superior power culminating in peak torque of 550 Nm. Twin-turbo direct injection and typical M fine tuning make sure the engine responds directly to even the slightest touch of the accelerator with vigorous thrust and confident traction. Numerous innovations such as sleeveless construction or a lighter, forged crankshaft build on the intelligent lightweight construction concept, improve dynamics and acceleration, reduce consumption and enable an optimum axle load distribution of almost 50:50. The reward is unprecedentedly agile handling that’s impressively underscored by the unmistakable sound of the M engine.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #76
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post
It is twin power, but from this it looks like it is twin turbo as well.

Got this from BMW's website.
I think you are right. From a review of the M4 I read:
"BMW has fitted two relatively small turbos – each working on three cylinders – to ensure they spool up quickly."

To avoid confusion, I tell anyone who is listening (a surprisingly tiny minority of my family and acquaintancies) that my M550i has two turbo-chargers, not one but two!

And don't forget that both my two turbo-chargers are "Twin-Power".
      08-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #77
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

Like I said in my post above, the car has TWO turbos! Read the second paragraph in the link below for additional insight, if needed. Sometimes the word twin turbo can mean two scrolls in one turbo, but not in the case of the 2015 M4 that I owned for three years. Below is the second paragraph in the link.

"The new-generation M car—which gets its own chassis code for the first time, F82—sheds its predecessor’s naturally aspirated 4.0-liter V-8 in favor of a quintessentially BMW straight-six. BMW has affixed the "TwinPower" moniker to the all-new, M-developed engine; the badging is applied to BMW’s gas and diesel turbocharged engines, and can refer to single, twin, or triple turbos, single or multiple dual-scroll turbos, or a turbo with variable inlet geometry. The M4 is fitted with a pair of Mitsubishi-sourced turbochargers."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-and-info-news
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #78
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for clarifying...

My B58 engine has a single twin-scroll turbo and I have a very slight hesitation as power comes in from low RPM, plus I just want more power. I miss the low-end torque of my Firebird (but not the two-wheel drive). The M550i sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #79
TomD01
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
About time Tom! Sweet looking ride. I'd like to hear your thoughts after you've put some miles on it.
After 7 weeks and 1,800 miles here are my feeble thoughts on the ‘18 M550.

My previous car was a ‘14 335GT and my wife has been driving a ‘16 M235 for a couple of years. While both of these cars have the same drivetrain, her car is funner to drive as it is stable, confident, powerful and quick. I was hoping the M550 would have similar traits and it does, except it is of course larger, heavier and not as nimble. The M550 is full of confidence, stability and has more than enough power for daily driving. Exactly what I was looking for! It has smooth, confidant power that is a pleasure to drive. The car doesn’t “sweat” as it climbs a hill and it quickly responds to a little push on the accelerator. I am not an aggressive driver, but I can’t stand an underpowered car that seems to always be working hard just to keep up with varying terrain and my requests. The brakes also inspire confidence and stop the car confidently. The ride is amazingly smooth and comfortable while at the same time feeling stable and confident.

I was concerned about the low profile 20” tires, but so far, I am highly impressed with the go flat Michelin Pilot tires. The ride and handling is surprisingly comfortable, quiet and secure. It corners beautifully! I also purchased a set of 19” winter wheels and tires, so we will see how those work out in the coming season.

Seats can be adjusted to fit me, which is rare, as I have an unusually long upper body and relatively short legs and arms. Headroom is frequently a problem, but not in this car. My eyes sit high in the car and the top of the windshield, like other BMW’s, is adequately high so as not to block visibility of street lights when I am first in line at the light. This is frequently a problem for me, even in pickup trucks where I have to lower my head to see the traffic light.

The driving assistance features of traffic jam assistant, lane keeping and adaptive cruise control are not perfect, but they do work well. They are correctly described as assistants and not replacements. They can’t see beyond their sensors and they don’t drive like I do, but they are helpful, especially while participating in heavy traffic. The car frequently wants to go where I don’t want to go and it tends to bounce around in the lane if you let it. But when used as an aid, or assistant, it is helpful. The adaptive cruise control waits too long to brake and brakes harder than I prefer and it will brake too long when the vehicle you are following moves to a decel lane to turn off the road while I plan to stay on the road. It does however, understand when a car merges in front of me that it doesn’t necessarily need to slow down just because that car merged in front of me closer than it likes. However, if that car doesn’t continue to accelerate it will slow to proper distance. In heavier traffic you have to reduce the gap to the car in front of you or others will merge in front of you.

I frequently drive with just a couple of fingers lightly on the steering wheel and I often get the warning to put my hands on the steering wheel as it doesn’t detect my light two finger touch.

I like the ability to set the wipers to be on auto as a default, but you do have to remember to turn that off when entering a car wash.

The engine comes up to operating temperature amazingly fast, typically within about a mile of driving, much faster than my previous car.

I typically enter the destination in the route planning system and use adaptive drive. I am not yet sure how this differs from comfort, but I do think it is better than comfort as the car does seem more responsive. I do have to say the route suggestions are still pretty dumb. It will make some of the dumbest decisions on the route, often directing you on a less than ideal route. Google Maps is smarter.

This is my first car with a heads up display. At first it was distracting, but after a few days you get used to it and now I really like it. I did have to turn off the feature that turned the current speed red when it is greater than the speed limit. I am color blind and when it turned red it almost disappeared for me. I am frequently travelling just a little above the posted speed limit.

Night vision is “cool”, but I haven't yet experienced it warning me of impending issues. I suspect I will as fall arrives as we live in a semi-rural area with abundant deer and critters on the road.

Auto hold is a blessing while sitting at a stop light. This is the first car I have had with this feature and I really like this as I don’t have keep the brake pedal depressed while waiting for the light to change and I don’t find it a distraction when maneuvering in and out of parking spots.

So far this has been a daily driver and I have not yet spent more than hour in the car on a single trip, but that will change when we plan to drive it to Georgia next month. After a 1,400+ mile round trip I will be able to better comment on longer times in the car and how it feels after driving 500+ miles at a time.

One minor annoyance is the display when playing back audio from my phone. I typically listen to the WSJ on Audible during my morning commute from my Android phone. In the last car the progress bar showed the elapsed and remaining time. In this car I just see the progress bar and it doesn’t show elapsed or remaining time in the current “chapter”.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #80
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Thanks for the complete review. I also find the M550iX an amazing car that belies its size. Having also come from previous M cars, this M "lite" version of the G30 is one of the best cars I have owned overall. While it will not win any slaloms, the smooth power of the car is addictive regardless of your driving style. It begs to be raced and with a recent install of the Dinan Stage 1 tune, it is even more of a beast in dress clothes.
      09-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #81
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Thanks for the complete review. I also find the M550iX an amazing car that belies its size. Having also come from previous M cars, this M "lite" version of the G30 is one of the best cars I have owned overall. While it will not win any slaloms, the smooth power of the car is addictive regardless of your driving style. It begs to be raced and with a recent install of the Dinan Stage 1 tune, it is even more of a beast in dress clothes.
Tom, Ksoze,

Second that. My M550i never stops impressing: fast, stops well, agile for a big car. Upmarket feel inside.

I'm particularly impressed - and I've had some impressive cars before.

Impressed....
      09-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #82
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD01 View Post
After 7 weeks and 1,800 miles here are my feeble thoughts on the ‘18 M550.

My previous car ....
Nice write-up, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #83
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

Thanks for the great write-up Tom! I have 4800 miles on mine now and a bunch of those miles are in curves ......couldn't be happier with my decision!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #84
drivah
Rep
Drives: m550

Quote:
Hi All:

Obviously been doing most of my hanging out over on the M 3/4 forum for the past three years. I'll be hanging my hat over here from now on. Loved my M4 the last three years, but wanted four doors, more room and still have a ton of performance. M5 too rich for my blood. A demo drive through some curves, etc. in the M550i and I was hooked. My dealer got an allocation for me last Monday and I ordered the car on Tuesday. I attached a pic of an identical color, both int/ext and wheels. Bluestone metallic/Dakota cognac. Only thing missing in the pic are the M Performance black rocker decals. Besides the wheels I added the winter package and driver assist. Moderately equipped except for performance............it's loaded with that! Now the waiting begins. Hopefully it will be in my garage by mid July.
Cerium Gray can be easily switched to black, on all accents, looks great
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #85
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

I am aware of that, but I happen to love the cerium gray.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #86
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
I am aware of that, but I happen to love the cerium gray.
I agree, black accents make it look cheap to me.
Appreciate 0