BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications G30 Active Grille problem

11-15-2023, 07:10 PM   #1
Spice
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

G30 Active Grille problem

Greetings Bimmerpost!

I observed some weird behavior with my Active Grille ever since I bought the car --> After I parked the car, both shutters would stay opened and would not close. Even if the car was parked for a couple of days and after the cold start, everything stayed wide open.

This only happens during the winter time while in summer everything works correctly (after I park the car, upper shutters closed and lower opened).

This also doesn't happen every time I park the car, sometimes shutters behave like in summer. So it's intermittent behavior. I also made sure to completely turn off HVAC to avoid AC kicking in and opening shutters.

I bought my BMW 540i two years ago at the BMW dealership in Munich in Premium Selection program. Naturally, almost two years have passed since and it was a time for a service.

I asked for a consultation with the mechanic and explained him the problem. He told me that if there's an error in the ECU, they will change the part for free under Premium Selection warranty, but in my case, since there's no error, I need to pay for it myself.

During the service, they found the error in the ECU (visible in the attachment), but for whatever reason, car showed me nothing on the dashboard in form of check engine light or some kind of warning.

Some time later, mechanic called to inform me that the service is finished and that I can pick up my car. He also explained that this is not covered under premium selection warranty and they billed me additional 200€ for diagnosing and reprogramming the ECU on top of the service cost.

He explained that after this "reprogram", shutters will work as expected.

So where did the statement about the free replacement in case of ECU error disappeared now?

I drove my car today and after I parked, shutters again wide open and they don't close by themselves. It was an normal drive, nothing hard or fast.

What do you think about this, did you have similar experiences? Was this 200€ ECU "reprogram" just a rip off?

The service was performed at the BMW dealership where I bought the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spice; 11-15-2023 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:42 AM   #2
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

If your car is stock then shutter issues should be covered under a special warranty, even if your car is no longer within the warranty period. Bring to a new dealer and tell them you have a shutter problem and want it covered.
Appreciate 0