BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing M550iX oil change details and specifications (comprehensive)

03-31-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

M550iX oil change details and specifications (comprehensive)

This thread is not for the "first timer", this car is probably not ideal to learn on. Having performed a couple oil changes on my car, I found it difficult to find all the necessary information needed in one place or post, here I will try to post all I have learned.

The basics of the procedure can be found on any number of YouTube videos online. But lacked the important details.

Materials:
10 quarts of BMW LL-01FE oil. Or alternately, BMW does approve the use of superior protection BMW LL-01 and LL-04 oil. (I don't get too worried about viscosity, if you chose the appropriate BMW oil approval, it will have the correct High Temperature High Sheer rating, which is more critical than viscosity for protection) I know people have stated various capacities, but in both my oil changes I filled with 9 quarts and this put the level exactly in the middle between min and max, and took one additional quart to reach max. BTW, that means the difference between min and max is two quarts, which surprised me, as commonly we see that as a 1 quart difference.

To avoid overfilling, I would only add 9 quarts, check and top off as needed.

If you are trying to save some money, there are two excellent BMW spec oils on walmart.com and they deliver to your door for free.

Quaker State Euro 5w-40 has BMW LL-01 approval and costs $23 for the 5 quart jug

Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 has BMW LL-04 approval and costs $26.50 for the 5 quart jug.

1 each BMW oil filter kit 11427583220 or Mahle OX3537DECO (the BMW filter kit is made by Mahle for BMW, so they are the same) Factory BMW filter is available on Amazon from a BMW dealer for $17 with free shipping. Surprisingly, I have found the factory BMW kit to be less expensive than the typical aftermarket BMW alternatives from Mahle, Hengst or Mann.
https://www.amazon.com/BMW-11-42-7-5...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

Oil filter cap removal tool: BMW factory tool 83302455965 or any number of aftermarket alternatives with a specification of "86mm 16 flutes oil filter wrench". They will be described as compatible with BMW and Volvo.

Oil filler funnel. I do recommend a BMW specific oil filler funnel that securely attaches to the valve cover and reduces the chances of a spill.
I'm using this one, but not really satisfied with the two piece design, but it works adequately: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/eur...euronospillkit

A few tips:
When removing and installing the o-ring on the oil filter cap, note the location of the o-ring, it fits in the second from the bottom groove. It is easy to mix this up.

Note the following torque values:
Drain plug bolt is 20 NM or 14.75 lb ft

Oil filter cap tightening procedure: Initial torque is 30 NM or 22.13 lb ft, then release torque through 180 degree counter clockwise/final torque is 40 NM or 29.5 lb ft. I think this is important to prevent leaks. I did not do this on my first oil change and noticed a drip forming on the oil filter cap a few weeks later. I loosened and retorqued and it remained dry. I had a worse oil drip after an oil change at the dealer a few years ago, and believe he did the same omission, and I had to take it back a few days later. So take note.

*Also, these cap tools tend to bind up a bit when you tighten the cap, so to remove the tool, you may have to reverse direction slightly to unseat the tool from the cap...just make sure you don't accidently loosen the cap itself.

Oil Change Light Reset BMW G30 5 Series Procedure:

1. Make sure the hood is closed and the ignition is off.

2. With your foot off the brake pedal, press the START button three times quickly.

3. Wait for Diagnostic Mode Active to be displayed in the cluster.

4. Hold down the BC or RESET button on the left side of the steering column or cluster until the service menu is displayed.

5. Press the same button to scroll through the menu until ENGINE OIL is displayed.

6. Press and hold the same button until the reset is completed.

7. Follow the screen prompts, you may need to press and release the button several times.
Attached Images

Last edited by 430Scud; 04-01-2024 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 3