BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions X Drive in the snow

12-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

X Drive in the snow

I was under the impression that X drive was going to act like a 4wd vehicle. Through the snow, to me all it does is make me feel that my car performs like a front wheel drive car. I'm a little under whelmed here.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1571587
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

I have all seasons, not summers.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post
When you have summers, especially if you're sliding back even when you're breaking, the car itself has absolutely nothing to do with the traction.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
My only experience with xdrive in snow is from many mountain trips in our X5, with mud/ snow tires. Car was planted, had no slippage in blizzards. Much better than other 4wd i’ve owned.

My M550 with summer tires will never get to play in the snow, so cant say how g30 performs
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
I was under the impression that X drive was going to act like a 4wd vehicle. Through the snow, to me all it does is make me feel that my car performs like a front wheel drive car. I'm a little under whelmed here.
Regardless of AWD...without the proper tires mounted for the conditions...you will not get the best that it can offer. Tires are like shoes for your car...the tires are what has contact with the surface you're driving on. If the tires suck because they can't handle what they're being driven in (snow, cold temps that harden the rubber, ice, etc)...then AWD isn't going to help that much.

A 2WD vehicle mounted with winter tires on the driving wheels will perform better than an AWD/4WD vehicle mounted with summer or all season tires.

Again, the rubber compound on summer & all season tires begin to harden at aroun 45° F...so the colder it gets, the less traction they have. Stopping, turning and acceleration will all suffer (even with an AWD/4WD vehicle).

Winter tire's rubber compound stays soft in ambient temps below 45° F...and their tread design with all the sipes and other design characteristics will enhance a cars ability to stop/turn/accelerate...and if it is AWD or 4WD...it will makes things even better.

The images below were captured from a TireRack video on YouTube that compared summer/all seasons/winter tires on an ice skating ring...you can see the differences in performance. If you have AWD, winter tires will compliment the AWD capabilities by providing better traction. If the tires don't have traction...AWD or 4WD will suffer and not be much better than FWD or RWD. In fact, again, 2WD, FWD/RWD mounted with dedicated winter tires will perform better than AWD/4WD mounted with summer or all season tires.

The image below shows the stopping distance on ice compafing summer/all season/winter tires:

Turning @ 10 MPH...the winter tires were able to make the turn and stay within the cones that were set-up...the other two tires busted through the cones...thus would also slide into oncoming traffic or other lane:

Pics below show acceleration times on ice comparing summer/all seasons/winter tires:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-21-2019 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Regardless of AWD...without the proper tires mounted for the conditions...you will not get the best that it can offer. Tires are like shoes for your car...the tires are what has contact with the surface you're driving on. If the tires suck because they can't handle what they're being driven in (snow, cold temps that harden the rubber, ice, etc)...then AWD isn't going to help that much.

A 2WD vehicle mounted with winter tires on the driving wheels will perform better than an AWD/4WD vehicle mounted with summer or all season tires.

Again, the rubber compound on summer & all season tires begin to harden at aroun 45° F...so the colder it gets, the less traction they have. Stopping, turning and acceleration will all suffer (even with an AWD/4WD vehicle).

Winter tire's rubber compound stays soft in ambient temps below 45° F...and their tread design with all the sipes and other design characteristics will enhance a cars ability to stop/turn/accelerate...and if it is AWD or 4WD...it will makes things even better.

The images below were captured from a TireRack video on YouTube that compared summer/all seasons/winter tires on an ice skating ring...you can see the differences in performance:

Turning @ 10 MPH...the winter tires were able to make the turn and stay within the cones that were set-up...the other two tires busted through the cones...thus would also slide into oncoming traffic or other lane:

I'm comparing my maxima fwd vehicle to this vehicle. Both with comparable mileage and wear on all weather tires. I just feel that x drive compensates the vehicle. It makes it feel like a fwd car instead of rwd. I was expecting a better experience of sticking to the road. It is not the case.
Appreciate 1
NHM55021.00
      12-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Again, if you have dedicated winter tires...your AWD experience will be transformmative.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Again, if you have dedicated winter tires...your AWD experience will be transformmative.

I don't do dedicated. It doesn't snow enough for me in CT to do that. Regardless the x drive is weak.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was under the impression that X drive was going to act like a 4wd vehicle. ...
Nope...AWD isn't going to act like a 4WD vehicle which has a locking differential.

Quote:
... I was expecting a better experience of sticking to the road. It is not the case.
Nope...you're not going to "stick" to the road using all season tires when the temps drop below 45° F...regardless if there's snow on the ground or not.

Quote:
I don't do dedicated. It doesn't snow enough for me in CT to do that. Regardless the x drive is weak.
Again, dedicated winter tires performance is superior to all season tires not only in snow...but when temps drop below 45°F...and I assume that ambient temps in Connecticut fall consistently below 45°F for many days during winter.

I will agree to disagree with you that xDrive is "weak"...it performs excellent for me in the Great Lakes region especially when equipped with the proper tires for the season.

Sorry that you're not getting the performance you expected.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was under the impression that X drive was going to act like a 4wd vehicle. ...
Nope...AWD isn't going to act like a 4WD vehicle which has a locking differential.

Quote:
... I was expecting a better experience of sticking to the road. It is not the case.
Nope...you're not going to "stick" to the road using all season tires when the temps drop below 45° F...regardless if there's snow on the ground or not.

Quote:
Again, dedicated winter tires performance is superior to all season tires not only in snow...but when temps drop below 45°F...and I assume that ambient temps in Connecticut fall consistently below 45°F for many days during winter.

I will agree to disagree with you that xDrive is "weak"...it performs excellent for me in the Great Lakes region especially when equipped with the proper tires for the season.

Worst performing feature of the car. Really disappointed compared to other manufacturers. Audi, Mercedes, very surprised to be this disappointed
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Worst performing feature of the car. Really disappointed compared to other manufacturers. Audi, Mercedes, very surprised to be this disappointed
What do you find disappointing about? Understeer too much to the point you constantly undershoot? Or you're not getting the tail out a bit so you're not happy about that?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #13
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

E46 330xi, permanant AWD on snow tires performed much better than G30 x-drive on snow tires.

Being permanent all wheel drive, having hill descent system makes E46 a better performer on snow.

G30 does not have HDC (Hill Descent Control), which is useful on steep downhills...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What do you find disappointing about? Understeer too much to the point you constantly undershoot? Or you're not getting the tail out a bit so you're not happy about that?
I was just u see the impression x drive would compensate better in snow. For a rear wheel drive car it helps for sure. I just wanted more I guess. I just wasn't as educated on the topic from the dealer as well as I would of liked.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was just u see the impression x drive would compensate better in snow. For a rear wheel drive car it helps for sure. I just wanted more I guess. I just wasn't as educated on the topic from the dealer as well as I would of liked.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have driven my 540xi in snow over 20 inches. I never had a problem. I have all season michelin non runflats on mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #16
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

I lived right off the banks of the Mississippi in Davenport, IA and drove an E60 xDrive with dedicated snows (it's very hilly right off the river). I could stop in the ice going downhill, I could get moving in deep snow going uphill. Piece of cake.

To compare the BMW against the Audi - watch the whole video:
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      12-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
xDrive is okay. I haven't had any problems and we have much steeper hills in WA than I did when living in CT or VA. However, winter tires are a must and most all modern AWD vehicles rely too much on wheel spin to get traction aids (ETC or LSD's) to kick in. I also suspect that the newer G30 M550i with the M Sport Rear Differential will perform slightly better than G30's with full open differential.

The biggest problem with our G30's is weight. It's your worst enemy in snow despite common thinking. Inertia is a bitch to overcome when you're trying to change direction (or velocity) in the slippery stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
xDrive is okay. I haven't had any problems and we have much steeper hills in WA than I did when living in CT or VA. However, winter tires are a must and most all modern AWD vehicles rely too much on wheel spin to get traction aids (ETC or LSD's) to kick in. I also suspect that the newer G30 M550i with the M Sport Rear Differential will perform slightly better than G30's with full open differential.

The biggest problem with our G30's is weight. It's your worst enemy in snow despite common thinking. Inertia is a bitch to overcome when you're trying to change direction (or velocity) in the slippery stuff.
The only rear wheel drive cars I've ever had where camaros and mustangs. Those were sleds. I would just say this on par with a fwd vehicle. I still need to drive around when it snows more.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
I lived right off the banks of the Mississippi in Davenport, IA and drove an E60 xDrive with dedicated snows (it's very hilly right off the river). I could stop in the ice going downhill, I could get moving in deep snow going uphill. Piece of cake.

To compare the BMW against the Audi - watch the whole video:
I wish these roller were able to secure to the ground otherwise these test feels like you just eventually over power and kick the roller out anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #20
quackbury
Monkeyazz Duck
Rep
Drives: 540 M Sport; 330; 135

Having had 10 BMW's with xDrive ... following 2 Audi's with quattro ... 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees with different versions of Jeep's multiple awd / 4 wd options ... and two XC 90's ... I can say with some confidence that there are only two things wrong with xDrive:
  1. Knuckleheads who drink the marketing Kool Aid think xDrive / quattro controls winter traction. It does not. As others have correctly noted, your tires are the only part of the vehicle which contact the road. And so-called "All-Season" tires are by definition compromises. They excel at nothing, and suck at pretty much everthing. Fact: Any of my 4 prior RWD BMW's would outperform your xDrive, (or your neighbor's quattro), because they were always mounted with dedicated winter tires. The exact thing is true regardless of whether we're discussion xDrive, quattro, or Volvo's lousy awd system.
  2. No one reads the owner's manual. And folks who don't read the ower's manual don't realize there is a setting you can select in your xDrive vehicle which will significantly improve traction in snow. And no, I won't tell you what it is. You should RTFM yourself, as you may find some other goodies in there.
2008 135i
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #21
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Glad I moved to FL.

RWD and summer tires are all I will ever need.
      01-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #22
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Guys I just want to post an update. Yesterday was my first ride on major snow. Roads were not plowed and I live where there is a lot of hills. I am blown away the difference between a snow that's a light dust vs full on 5-6 inches. The dusting as I posted kind of sucked for me. The unplowed snow though was a totally different experience. It was pretty close to my old 4x4. I barreled through the snow with no problems. my tires have about 20k highway miles on them. None the less great in fresh snow for me so far, not as good on dusting snow prob on ice. I'm just blown away how amazing she is on powder.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00