BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How can PPF self heal if it’s ceramic coated?

03-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

How can PPF self heal if it’s ceramic coated?

Some people do ceramic coating on top of their XPEL ppf wrap. Is ppf still capable to self heal, despite the ceramic coating on top? And don’t the scratches remain visible on the ceramic coating itself? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Well there are self-healing ceramic coatings now as well as coatings specifically made to bond with PPF. If you have a coating on top of ppf and the coating gets scratched I doubt the self healing properties of the PPF film would come into play.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      04-07-2020, 03:17 AM   #3
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

go do some more reading.

Ceramics will resist scratches to a degree. It will help prevent normal washing swirls, but not a key running across your paint. They will not protect you from a rock chip like a PPF will. They usually do not last more than 2-3 years.

PPF is by far the superior protection. But it also costs 3-4k to have it done right. It will still self heal with a ceramic coating on top. The ppf heals by heat.

you can do ceramic on top of ppf with no issues. it will help protect against UV damage with can yellow ppf over time. and make the car easier to clean.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
go do some more reading.

Ceramics will resist scratches to a degree. It will help prevent normal washing swirls, but not a key running across your paint. They will not protect you from a rock chip like a PPF will. They usually do not last more than 2-3 years.

PPF is by far the superior protection. But it also costs 3-4k to have it done right. It will still self heal with a ceramic coating on top. The ppf heals by heat.

you can do ceramic on top of ppf with no issues. it will help protect against UV damage with can yellow ppf over time. and make the car easier to clean.
Try to read my question slowly and maybe you will then understand the question. I am NOT asking to compare ceramic coating with PPF. I am merely asking whether putting ceramic coating ON TOP of PPF will essentially delete the self healing properties of PPF. Thank you very much in advance.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Marketing BS.
      04-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Ceramic coating is so thin (microns) when layered on top of the PPF (millimeters). It's not going to change the bulk properties of the PPF. If it's scratched or dented it'll still self heal. It's not like the ceramic coating creates some hard "egg shell" on top of the PPF. The biggest advantage, IMO, is the hydrophobic properties on top of the PPF for cleaning.
Humdizzle6024.00
      04-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

I think @JamesNoBrakes is right. No one here really knows anything, aside from maybe a materials expert. The rest are just talking marketing nonsense out of their arse.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      04-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
I think @JamesNoBrakes is right. No one here really knows anything, aside from maybe a materials expert. The rest are just talking marketing nonsense out of their arse.
What do you mean? I have self healing ppf and can confirm it works. I had to use a heat gun (it doesn't get warm enough in the winter hear for sunlight healing) to remove a few light scratches and they did disappear. I do think a consumer needs to have realistic expectations as deep scratches into the film will not heal but the swirls and light scratches indeed heal with the application of heat. I don't have any experience with the latest self healing ceramics but I intend to try them soon.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Yes, PPF will still heal even with a ceramic coating placed on top of it. In fact, doing this isn't out of the ordinary, and is in fact common practice. PPF's don't seem to repel water as well as ceramic coatings do. You put the ceramic coating on to get an enhanced look, and ease of cleaning.

Technically, yeah, if your car gets scratched from some debris it'll be visible in the ceramic coating if you're actively looking for it, but that's typically an easy fix.
Appreciate 0