BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding What are few must items to code with Bimmercode

12-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelzein View Post
Personally, I purchased bimmercode and was 'meh' with the results...especially considering the US $34 cost. Sure it's convenient and easy, but I felt the G30 options were extremely limited vs. what I've seen others do.

I get that the G30 is more restrictive, but the onus is on bimmercode to find a solution and deliver the goods for that price...or provide a LITE version for neutered cars.

I'm hoping future updates will add more capability, but not holding my breath. Anyone know how often they've been updating? Is there a known roadmap for G30?
Which interface did you use? I used a wired Ethernet connection to my iPhone and got most of the common options. Disclaimers, don't stop the windows going up, tailgate functionality, express/convenience open/close settings, brake light warning display, warning bongs, horn honk when you leave the engine running and step out with the key, video in motion, ASS, etc. etc.

I had originally tried my old Veepak (sp?), and got VERY limited options. Then I read the bimmercode web site and noted that Veepak wasn't usable for G30's.

Wired Ethernet makes for a faster/better connection than wireless, IMHO.

Last edited by runbuh; 12-23-2019 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #24
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
That may seem expensive for just coding one thing like ASS, but I feel it is useful to have an OBD2 ink that you can use on your iPhone for a number of things, like trouble codes, etc.
True, but when you have multiple cars (as we both do) and buy another car later (as we likely will) and can help out friends and code their car (gets me a lunch or beer) then it's not so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
I had originally tried my old Veepak (sp?), and got VERY limited options. Then I read the bimmercode web site and noted that Veepak wasn't usable for G30's.
No problems here using my Veepak on the G30.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #25
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

I got the bimmercode app paid for and installed on my phone and a bluetooth adapter for the OBD II port. I am going to start small and recode the ASS to remember the last setting. What module is that setting in the Bimmer code program? I also want to turn off the disclaimer on start up. What module do I need to mess with for that. Also does bimmer code retain the factory settings in case I want to go back? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:04 AM   #26
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b74heavy View Post
I got the bimmercode app paid for and installed on my phone and a bluetooth adapter for the OBD II port. I am going to start small and recode the ASS to remember the last setting. What module is that setting in the Bimmer code program? I also want to turn off the disclaimer on start up. What module do I need to mess with for that. Also does bimmer code retain the factory settings in case I want to go back? Thanks in advance.
I bought the Vgate iCar ver 4 OBD II adapter. It worked well for the things I wanted to do. I was able to set the Auto Stop-Start (ASS) to remember the last setting instead of defaulting on the initial engine start to ASS on. Since I was used to hitting the ASS off button after the start button now I am turning the ASS system on.. I will get the hang of the G30 yet. I was also able to get the system to not show the NAV warning on startup. I also set it up so it would show tire temperature in addition to tire pressure. I have not figured out how to program to turn off the caution warning that comes on when you use the backup camera yet. There is a list of functions that we are able to change with the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth on the Bimmercode website (see below). With the cheaper iCar pro adapter, I bought there are many functions that the iCar pro will not change. Don't mess around with cheaper OBD II adapters just get one of the three suggested by Bimmercode. I now have bought the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth adapter since it is recommended by Bimmercode so now I have two OBD II adapters. I bought a $68000 car and I tried to save a little money ($58.00) and now I have two OBD II adapters.
So don't be like me, get the $79.00 OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth adapter. That way you can code all the stuff that can be coded. Another piece of advice, write down what you changed so if you change a lot of things you might want to go back to the factory settings at some point you will have a list of what you have changed. Advice number two, Bimmercode has directions built into the software. When you install and pay for Bimmercode there is a gear symbol in the lower right-hand corner tap on it and a screen comes up with a few choices. Before you do anything else tap on the third choice under "support", "Quick Start Guide". This will tell you all the things to consider before you start. I also have included a link for G30 owners to see what can be coded without connecting the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth adapter to your car with the battery on. Last piece of advice code one thing at a time. Lucky for me everything I wanted to change actually changed the way I wanted. I found the right place to change the items in the program. Check the link below to see the things you can program with the OBD link and what you will need any of the first three recommended adapters to change. It is still a lot of things and worth the price of the adapter if you get a check engine light. You can impress the foolish service writer at the dealership. Most of the time they don't have a clue. You can look up the codes easily on google.

Here is the page on Bimmercode's web site for the recommended OBD II adapters.
https://www.bimmercode.app/adapters/

Here is the web page on Bimmercode's web site for G30 BMW items you can change using the Bimmercode app.

https://www.bimmercode.app/cars/g30/
Appreciate 1
MauiSteve279.50
      12-30-2019, 01:23 AM   #27
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep

It's 01:12 AM CST Monday 12/30/19 in Alabama in the United States. I had emailed support at Bimmercode last Saturday night about some questions I had concerning the app and they just got back to me. It is 08:12 AM CET on Monday 12/30/19 in Germany. Very good support from them I think. Answered the emails first thing on the first Monday morning after my weekend email.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:49 AM   #28
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

I had CarPlay fsc installed via usb. I then found I wasn't able to code nbt stuff using the bimmercode app as the CarPlay fsc install messes with the usb signature.

Not really sure what I'm missing out on on not being able to code some functions on the nbt headunit or whether there's a way of uninstalling CarPlay. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #29
CharlieBravo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 M60  [5.00]
MY20 M550 here. I got the OBDLink MX+ and Bimmercode. I changed the ASS to last setting, de-activated the seat belt warnings and iDrive start up warning. I also coded VIM but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I didn't notice the ambient lighting option, but I'm going to go look at it tomorrow.

I liked that the OBDLink can be left plugged in. I'm going to see how well it works with an old phone using the OBDLink app for boost gauges. I thought it was strange that there isn't any capability within the iDrive displays/instrument cluster for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #30
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Just coded my G30 540xi today and I have to say I'm very impressed although I believe 31.99 is a little steep for the the options offered. I did the
- M start up animation
- Alpina Layout
- Magenta and Blue Contour Ambient Lighting
I tried to do the Rolls Royce chime but could not find it. Anyone successful in doing that? I also want to do turn off ASD in the future. Are there any other essentials for the G30 on Bimmercode?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #31
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

I apologize in advance for such a basic question, but I've always had my BMWs coded by others (must recently using remote coding services). I know virtually nothing about computer programming. Is the Bimmercode app the best to use for a novice like me? Can i plug in my phone to the computerport adapter that I have that was used for remote coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #32
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
I apologize in advance for such a basic question, but I've always had my BMWs coded by others (must recently using remote coding services). I know virtually nothing about computer programming. Is the Bimmercode app the best to use for a novice like me? Can i plug in my phone to the computerport adapter that I have that was used for remote coding?
Not that the other ones are difficult to learn, but from a basic use standpoint, yes, it would be the easiest option if you are looking to only do the "preset" options that Bimmercode gives you, i.e. Video in Motion, changing the displays, etc.

I am not familiar with the computerport adapter. I personally have an OBDLink MX+ that I use when I use Bimmercode, and have not had any issues with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #33
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
I totally agree with @roxxor I've started coding with BimmerCode in easy mode, then moved onto expert mode of the app by innocent trial and errors. Now I've moved to Esys and coding pretty much everything All in a few months

BimmerCode is a good place to start. I also use OBDLink MX+ adapter. But after last update I have 1 ECU can't be coded in the app (Audio Module?) on my G30. Maybe adapter related but I didn't checked it yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #34
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

A follow-up to my prior post. I purchased the full version of BimmerCode and have the adapter w/ ethernet cable to connect to my phone. Attached are pics of the adapter I have. BimmerCode's software is asking me to identify what adapter type I have (see screenshot). I have no clue what adapter I have; it was sent to me by the guy who remote-coded my car. Anyone know what adapter I should select from the option list in the BimmerCode software?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #35
jcnyct
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30

screen mirroring feature with Android phones is amazing with video in motion enabled (coded) - now I can enjoy YouTube videos, movies and Waze App on screen while driving

Last edited by jcnyct; 03-04-2020 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #36
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Got rid of the legal warning that pops up from time to time on the screen
Which option is this one? Where you able to remove the startup screen warning as well? I can't seem to figure out where that is.

Quote:
I also set the car driving mode default to Sport rather than comfort.
I dont know which option this is as well. Mind walking me through how to do this? Much appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #37
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
Which option is this one? Where you able to remove the startup screen warning as well? I can't seem to figure out where that is.

I dont know which option this is as well. Mind walking me through how to do this? Much appreciated. Thank you.
The first is the legal warning on the iDrive screen when the car first starts up. In Bimmercode it is under the Headunit section near the bottom under "Warnings". It is the "Warning at Startup". Make it Not Active.

On the second, unfortunately I forget which section Driving Mode at Startup is under. Not in my car now. I was looking through my Bimmercode Demo mode on my phone but couldn't l find it. I know you can do it on a G30 so just look through everything and I am sure you will find it. Before you code, remember to put the car in diagnostic mode by pressing the Start button three times quickly with your foot off the brake. Sorry I can't remember that--maybe someone else will chime in. --Bob