BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2021 M550xi DHP driving experience and 20" wheels

02-26-2024, 11:51 AM   #23
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcc88 View Post
One suggestion I have, try putting your car in the “dynamic traction” mode. You press the traction control button a single time, as opposed to holding it down which truly turns traction control “off”.

I believe that dynamic traction mode makes my car feel better in corners, so I’m curious if you notice any difference.
haven't used traction mode to corner either.

i drive the 340 spirited but not the 550 as i feels less capable in tighter stuf.

interestingly my dash shows both "MDM" and "Traction+" when i press the button
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:54 PM   #24
Jovonni41
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

do you have 20in wheels now?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:46 AM   #25
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
It's not an issue with power delivery. I'd describe it like this, it can enter a hairpin with enthusiasm, but is unforgiving about exiting it. You have to be really deliberate about taking sharp turns at high speeds. It definitely doesn't have that "on rails" feeling. I've never driven an M340i, but the F8x is much more forgiving in such scenarios.
Lower your tire pressure. Particularly if you are using the ridiculous full-load pressures.

My car wanted to step out on Autobahn off-ramps (even at half load pressures of 34 psi) until I bumped pressures down to something that gave me full use of the tread face. Your wear should extend to the TPI indicator; if not, you are overinflated the car will lack grip and stability in the rear.

The latter is good for gas mileage and that is about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:20 AM   #26
GSMCCASH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
ah i see.

i was looking at these https://www.goodyear.com/en_US/tires...percar/58.html

but couldn't find any useful reviews and then i realised they are track tires and not for me anyhow
The Supercar F1’s are a mediocre tire at best. However, Supercar F1 3 is much better and improved. I had the Supercar F1 3R on a Shelby GT500, which is a DOT track tire. Wonderful with grip, but both tires are very loud.

My 20” OEM NRF tires that came with 23 M550i are Potenza S007. These tires seem to be very quiet, smooth and grips the road well. First time with these tires, I’m impressed with this tire and is for a summer only.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:19 PM   #27
CMK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Lower your tire pressure. Particularly if you are using the ridiculous full-load pressures.
It was a relatively recent phenomenon for me when I learned some people inflate their tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall rather than the manufacturer pressures on the door frame...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:28 PM   #28
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK View Post
It was a relatively recent phenomenon for me when I learned some people inflate their tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall rather than the manufacturer pressures on the door frame...
I always check with the tire manufacturer and verify by checking wear across the tread face.

BMW will list a pressure that has to meet criteria that may or may not be important to you (saftey understeer, fuel efficiency criteria based on government regs for fleet emissions, etc.).
Appreciate 0