BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i xDrive - UK Tuning

10-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

540i xDrive - UK Tuning

I know there are many threads out there and on here regarding tuning for the G30 but they didn't answer what I'm about to ask advise on. (Maybe I should be writing this for the Engine/Tuning section). Car is a 2018 pre OPF/PPF

Very happy with the car but there are more gains to be had from such an amazing engine.

I've been looking into getting the car tuned and have narrowed it down to 2 companies. DMS and NV Motorsport.

DMS:

450bhp and nearly 440lb.ft of torque. This will include the updates to the gearbox, and recalibrating your sports dials.

This price includes fine-tuning on one of our 4WD dynos and our full aftersales software support package, this is three years of unlimited callouts to either reinstall the software if it is overwritten during a software update from the main dealer, also if it is going in for any warranty work where the car will be test driven we will revert the car to standard to ensure the obvious power increases do not provoke any questioning from the warranty manager. These callouts are unlimited, free of charge, and we will come to any location required.

NVM:

Original BHP 340
Tuned BHP 440
Original Torque (Nm) 450
Tuned Torque (Nm) 600

NVM Package includes:
Custom tuning on the dyno
Charge pipe fitted
Panel filter fitted
Decat downpipe fitted

I'm leaning more towards the DMS option as the 3 year aftersales support package sounds decent. But the NVM option sounds good too, replacing standard parts (Charge Pipe) with upgraded ones. I've heard very good things about both companies and they give you confidence that they know what they are talking about and on what they doing.

Just wanted to get a few opinions and thoughts from you guys to what you think would be better. Thanks in advance.

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 04:14 AM   #2
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I pick up my 540i next week and also been looking at tuning packages for it. Ive used DMS before on my 335i, they are one of the best around and really know their stuff, they are expensive however, but i managed to get a last min cancelation for like £600

The NMV option looks good too, £1400 for stage 2 and i think they quote 450-460bhp

DMS will get a decent figure but i always hear that their dyno figures are slightly inflated

im planning on Stage 2, but ill get a downpipe off ebay and get it fitted locally then get it remapped, should be cheaper that way, but im not sure who to get it mapped yet

NMV are quite far from me, like 2 hours where DMS is 1 hour

i think DMS charge over a grand though for a stage 1 remap which i think is over priced, im tempted to go with Evolve automotive or Wrench motors, they both do some of the fastest bmws around at the mo, if you watch any of the youtubers you will see their builds, they charge £600 for stage 1
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty81 View Post
I pick up my 540i next week and also been looking at tuning packages for it. Ive used DMS before on my 335i, they are one of the best around and really know their stuff, they are expensive however, but i managed to get a last min cancelation for like £600

The NMV option looks good too, £1400 for stage 2 and i think they quote 450-460bhp

DMS will get a decent figure but i always hear that their dyno figures are slightly inflated

im planning on Stage 2, but ill get a downpipe off ebay and get it fitted locally then get it remapped, should be cheaper that way, but im not sure who to get it mapped yet

NMV are quite far from me, like 2 hours where DMS is 1 hour

i think DMS charge over a grand though for a stage 1 remap which i think is over priced, im tempted to go with Evolve automotive or Wrench motors, they both do some of the fastest bmws around at the mo, if you watch any of the youtubers you will see their builds, they charge £600 for stage 1
The thing that I like about DMS is the 3 year aftercare package they offer. That in itself, in my opinion is worth paying a little extra for. They quote 450bhp from their tune.

The NVM package does also interest me especially being stage 2 and they quote the same power as the DMS tune.

I don't get how the DMS Stage 1 vs NVM Stage 2 offer the same bhp...?

Will the Stage 2 cause any issues when it comes to MOT etc?

I'm going to Evolve end of this month to have a set of MSS adjustable springs fitted on the car. While I'm there, I will ask them what they offer and let you know.

What colour/spec is the 540i bud? Congrats on the new purchase!
Looking forward to seeing pics and your mod list

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think each tuning place has slightly different figures, I always hear dms numbers are inflated a bit.

Ive been doing a lot of research on bootmod3 and MG flasher. Gains are basically the same. Plus I can do stage 1 for now. Then later on add a downpipe and stage 2 flash it myself. Works out around £809 to go straight to stage 2 when buying a downpipe off eBay. It’s gonna be way cheaper that way I reckon.

It’s a black 540i xdrive. Custom
Exhaust, m5 carbon rear diffuser, m5 wheels, front splitter it looks amazing. Never considered a 5 series until I saw this one
Appreciate 1
Junebug851589.00
      11-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Spec wise Msport plus pack, tech pack and visibility pack. Cars done 54k miles
Appreciate 1
Junebug851589.00
      11-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I've recently been looking at BM3 for the B58 engine and it seems that a lot of people have taken a liking to it and it is being used a lot out there.

I've been in touch with Pro Tuning Freaks and they have said that Stage 1 Octane 93 would be best suited to my car as everything else is standard/OEM currently.

If I went down the route of DPs then obviously Stage 2 would be the choice. I have also looked at xHP trans flash and think it will work well with the BM3.

Weighing up the cost of the licences for both and the question of do I trust myself to p*ss about with the car - I'm just tempted to take it to DMS and let them do it.

With just over 4000 miles to go till I get the car serviced then tuned, I have a little time to make up my mind/change my mind

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep

So the guy cancelled the sale of the car the day before I was going to collect it!! I was fuming. However I’ve put a deposit in a nice white one.

I’m def going bootmod3 or my flasher as I like the idea of doing it Myself and it does look easy. Plus If you go stage 1 for now and want stage 2 later it only costs £50 for another remap license
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty81 View Post
So the guy cancelled the sale of the car the day before I was going to collect it!! I was fuming. However I’ve put a deposit in a nice white one.

I’m def going bootmod3 or my flasher as I like the idea of doing it Myself and it does look easy. Plus If you go stage 1 for now and want stage 2 later it only costs £50 for another remap license
BM3 ia definetley the way to go. If you need any help with BM3 feel free to pm me.
Appreciate 0