BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Prototype First Drive Reviews Compilation

09-07-2016, 01:12 AM   #23
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Running list of reviews updated in first post.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #24
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I really do hope the steering is better than what is currently in the F10. (Matching the E39 would be perfect in my opinion.)
Although most of the dash is covered up, my guess (and it is just a guess) is that they probably won't offer a button or option to specify a sport setting for the steering independently.
At least if it switchable, it would suit us enthusiasts and the remaining majority who seem to favour lighter more numb steering.

Anyway these are just prototypes and we'll know for sure once they get in to the showrooms.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #25
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

AutoBild:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_8PcpN8ERw[/u2b]

I like the steering wheel, nice, full of metal...

Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #26
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

Auto Express said the complete opposite:
- The steering is lovely, with real precision to it, but not too much weight.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
AutoExpress sent Sutcliffe, who is very very experienced. I would say he is on par with Harris.
Thus, I tend to believe what he says regardless of C&D article.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
Did you just start reading car and driver last week?

For about a decade or more from the 90s into the 2000s and longer They were accused by readers for years of being fans of BMW ! : BMWs would win the comparison tests because they love the way BMWs drive and steer and feel. While the love affair may have died down, I would say that if they have cooled on BMWs it's been as the cars have gotten number.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #28
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Did you just start reading car and driver last week?

For about a decade or more from the 90s into the 2000s and longer They were accused by readers for years of being fans of BMW ! : BMWs would win the comparison tests because they love the way BMWs drive and steer and feel. While the love affair may have died down, I would say that if they have cooled on BMWs it's been as the cars have gotten number.
Nope. Been reading C and D for years ;-). Obviously their love of BMW's has died down.
      09-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #29
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:

I wish they would make cars like they did 10 years ago.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #30
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Sounds like some typical generic garbage. They try too hard to sound overly sophisticated. I could pay someone on fiverr to write a better review

Least they coulda done was mention how it feels compared to the f10.

I wanna hear all about the weight !
More than the dog F10 I want to know how it drives vs. the wonderful E60.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #31
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes they did.
Car and Driver in the US had something posted this morning, so it looks like the gates are open.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #32
bimmer254
Mvua
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92)

hmm the dependability comment is relative. Id only overlook that on a Toyota. Cant wait to see this and what the new M5 will bring....BMW is already on the G code chassis..and the Z is still on the great E's. This should be interesting.
      09-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #33
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
AutoBild:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_8PcpN8ERw[/u2b]

I like the steering wheel, nice, full of metal...

Has anyone else noticed that in the interior pic, BMW is not using the metal looking buttons on the headlight control buttons, steering wheel buttons, and on the window switches like they do on the 7-series?

Hope this isn't final production buttons as a base C-class has the same switches from the S-class.

Come on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #34
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes
Quote:

I wish they would make cars like they did 10 years ago.
that's why I'm driving one of their older cars: speed is overrated in the current road environment, and driving sensations underrated.
      09-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #35
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

I wonder if the 4 wheel steer will make its way into the m5? Hmm

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #36
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
Has anyone else noticed that in the interior pic, BMW is not using the metal looking buttons on the headlight control buttons, steering wheel buttons, and on the window switches like they do on the 7-series?

Hope this isn't final production buttons as a base C-class has the same switches from the S-class.

Come on BMW.
Pre-prototype.
FYI if you sit in an S-Klasse and then a C-Klasse you will notice the metal buttons in the C are actually just coated plastic unlike the metal S-Klasse.
      09-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #37
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Hmm, not sure, I did not notice that, felt pretty real and solid in C400 AMG I drove.
Especially I liked the pedal shifters, solid peaces of cold steel, great feel under the fingers.
Also solid metal for window buttons etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #38
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post

As well as Autocar:

Keep in my there was 3 different version with different options and powertrains. I think its safe to say the fully kitted version drives well.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #39
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Wondering if we can have the diesel in RWD form?
      09-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #40
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

from the Telegraph (UK)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/bmw/...-mercedes-e-c/

Also Teaser video...

[u2b]
[/u2b]
      09-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #41
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
I'm confident about the steering feeling. If it'll be much better thank what we find today in almos every standard BMW, is a great news. I don't like my current F10 steering feel, I want more precise and havier steering in this next G30.
There is some bad news for you in Car and Driver's article:

''Our one gripe was that the steering effort was much lighter than we believe is most appropriate for a BMW''

09-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #42
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Light and disconnected is not necessarily the same thing.
For example, Porsche now has a very light steering, but no one is complaining about that.
On the other hand, current M5 has incredibly heavy steering in sport + mode (it's really, really too much), but still the feedback is very limited.

Audi on the other hand is worst than playing on the Sony PS4
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #43
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
Looks like Autocar might have broken an embargo, cause the article is dead now. Great catch!
Yes they did.
Tisk tisk...!
      09-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #44
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post

Come on BMW.
Funny, I dreaded the overuse of shiny metallic surfaces from the 7-series spreading to the 5-series. I prefer secondary controls, and especially speakers, to blend into the design rather than compete for attention. Leave the business of excessive "jewelry" to Mercedes.
Appreciate 0