BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Technology Pack

11-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #23
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dummy Salapa deux View Post
Gesture control is gimmicky, stupid & encourages dangerous distracting behavior compared to keeping your hands on the wheel & using the buttons there. Also, the transmitter still emits a signal even if it is turned off. So if you choose to use a radar detector, it causes nonstop interference. At a minimum you have to tape over the optical emitter. You should be able to shut the whole system down but you cannot.
Really? I use gesture control daily to skip tracks and swipe away calls and notifications. It's brilliant.

I miss it when I drive other cars and find myself trying to gesture control them!! 🤣
      11-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #24
faz999
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530I 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
That list isn´t valid for the G30.

With "Basic Bluetooth" you can stream music, it shows album art, you can play music from an iPhone through a cable. So from that list, the only thing "Enhanced Bluetooth" brings you is the ability to connect two phones and then the "Office things".

Some says, that there´s an additional microphone with "Enhanced Bluetooth" too, but I can´t confirm that.
Does CarPlay work wirelessly or wired on the G30?
Quote:
Quote:

With "Basic Bluetooth" you can stream music, it shows album art, you can play music from an iPhone through a cable. So from that list, the only thing "Enhanced Bluetooth" brings you is the ability to connect two phones and then the "Office things".

Some says, that there´s an additional microphone with "Enhanced Bluetooth" too, but I can´t confirm that.

Carplay works wirelessly love that feature no more phone holder for me

Apps maps and text all there on screen
With mod full screen carplay best feature to have
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:24 AM   #25
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Quote:
All wireless mate.
      11-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #26
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Quote:

So, when you say you can play music via a cable, is that actually CarPlay? Or the car setup?

I presume the streaming is music and album art to the BMW basic system, not the CarPlay option?
      11-11-2020, 12:36 AM   #27
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, when you say you can play music via a cable, is that actually CarPlay? Or the car setup?

I presume the streaming is music and album art to the BMW basic system, not the CarPlay option?
If you connect a phone via cable it just acts as a USB flash drive. It shows album art etc. when doing this.

Streaming music via Bluetooth is the same. These two options applies to all versions.

Carplay runs via WIFI and adds the options the other guys are mentioning. I.e. Apple Maps, messages, you can control some apps directly on the iDrive screen etc.
AidenL67.50
      11-11-2020, 01:15 AM   #28
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Quote:
If you connect a phone via cable it just acts as a USB flash drive. It shows album art etc. when doing this.

Streaming music via Bluetooth is the same. These two options applies to all versions.

Carplay runs via WIFI and adds the options the other guys are mentioning. I.e. Apple Maps, messages, you can control some apps directly on the iDrive screen etc.
And CarPlay is standard across the range now, even without enhances Bluetooth, is that correct?

I’m wondering is it possible to charge the phone via cable and still run CarPlay wirelessly, on a car without enhanced Bluetooth?
      11-11-2020, 02:31 AM   #29
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And CarPlay is standard across the range now, even without enhances Bluetooth, is that correct?

I’m wondering is it possible to charge the phone via cable and still run CarPlay wirelessly, on a car without enhanced Bluetooth?
I don´t know. My car is a "pre-LCI" and back then Carplay was an option. I haven´t tried to charge the phone via cable while using Carplay, since my car has wireless charging - but I would assume it´s possible.
AidenL67.50
      11-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #30
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz999 View Post
Can you post pictures of radar please

I have passport I want to mount it but can't seem to figure out how

I need to connect to power adapter
Radar detector and Dashcam combo set-up using the Blendmount mirror mount.

I have the power cable tucked between the roof and windshield, then behind the passenger A pillar rubber strip, under the glove compartment, then along the bottom of the center console, and finally up into the armrest storage USB port. (There is a hole under the rubber mat of the storage compartment to pass the cable through).

You can also just tap into the mirror wiring or the fusebox.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #31
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:

Yes Apple CarPlay is standard now across range now. Mine is an Msport without enhanced Bluetooth and car play works flawlessly and yes I can charge phone while CarPlay is working. Android auto also works fine.
Appreciate 1
AidenL67.50
      11-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #32
faz999
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530I 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Radar detector and Dashcam combo set-up using the Blendmount mirror mount.

I have the power cable tucked between the roof and windshield, then behind the passenger A pillar rubber strip, under the glove compartment, then along the bottom of the center console, and finally up into the armrest storage USB port. (There is a hole under the rubber mat of the storage compartment to pass the cable through).

You can also just tap into the mirror wiring or the fusebox.
Thank you - my problem is i have my garage opener program to the car mirror buttons, if i install my Radar detector i will have trouble getting between the radar and the buttons

Thank you for the pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #33
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz999 View Post
Thank you - my problem is i have my garage opener program to the car mirror buttons, if i install my Radar detector i will have trouble getting between the radar and the buttons

Thank you for the pictures

You're welcome.
With my set up, I can access the two outer garage door buttons. The right one very easily. That's the only one I use since I have only 1 door. The center button doesn't have much space at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #34
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
What are the thoughts on this?
get it
Quote:
Is it worth it? I think the Hud and Enhanced Bluetooth are the main appealing elements.
YES
Quote:
What does enhanced Bluetooth give you over the basic bluetooth in the car?
the most obvious is the album art when streaming, but you should be looking at the road anyway, so to me that’s ‘meh’
Quote:
Also, if using Google Maps, does the HUD provide any benefit?
nope
Quote:
Does anyone find the Hud distracting?
it’s the best option I cant live without it now, I’m dropping a couple hundred bucks on a pair of sunglass that are not polarized (Prescription) so I can see the HUD, I feel that I rarely look down at the gauge cluster
you should first test drive a car with a HUD, it might not be for everyone, that’s why you get such a varied opinions
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #35
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just to clarify, album art is not a ‘Enhanced Bluetooth’ thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #36
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify, album art is not a ‘Enhanced Bluetooth’ thing.
I think it is. Or at least, on the older generations you needed enhanced bluetooth to get album art. Maybe not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:20 AM   #37
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I think it is. Or at least, on the older generations you needed enhanced bluetooth to get album art. Maybe not anymore.
Before my current G31 I had a very, very basic G30 (no satnav, basic BT etc.) and it showed album art when streaming. So, it might be that Extended BT was needed on the older generations for album art, but not on G30.