BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Updating iDrive Version

03-19-2024, 11:34 AM   #1
clejoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Updating iDrive Version

After a bunch of calls the BMW Genius and my local BMW dealer, I finally was able to determine what version of iDrive my 2020 530i currently has. Dealer kept telling me it was "the latest version" which didn't seem to be the case because some options weren't visible to me.

I was trying to confirm I had v 7.0 (July 2020 or newer) at least so I could enable Android Auto. Remote Software Upgrade isn't an available option and I couldn't find any mention of the current version anywhere.

Finally, the 4th BMW Genius I talked to was able to tell me I was on version 06.4.9.9. So... now back to the dealer to try and figure out how I can get updated to v 07 which I'm sure will take a few calls. I just went out of warranty a few weeks ago so I'm pretty disappointed they didn't verify my correct version 2 months ago when I had it in for service and an update would have been covered.

So, given I'm pessimistic the dealer will be overly helpful wanted to see if there was any method to update the software outside of the dealer??? Will be very disappointed if they want to charge me but even more concerned they will even know how to do it correctly given all the mis-information I've received so far.

Any suggestions or ideas I should consider?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:38 PM   #2
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
You have iDrive 7 Lite. To find the version, in your car select Car, then Owner's Manual, Keyword search, enter IMPRINT and look for Version. Right under is the date, for example 11/21. November 2021 (my car). Search for my posts. I attached a matrix PDF that specifies what else you need to get AA and even Amazon Alexa. Since you are out of warranty you will have to pay to get the update. I got mine update under warranty when I showed them that AA is supported.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:14 PM   #3
clejoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Thanks taskrov
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:44 AM   #4
Bjames93*
Private First Class
Rep