BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Odds BMW will replace glass

05-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit M850

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Odds BMW will replace glass

So was in the middle of getting my windows tinted and when they went to put on the tint for the passenger side quarter panel you see this fingers width scratch. Dunno how I missed this with all the detailing I've done on it since ownership last week. But stupidly never sat in the back and checked out the windows from the inside, only the outside. Anyway, what are the odds that BMW will cover this? More likely what cost am I looking at if they don't cover this?

Yes, there's a chance tint guys are lying but when you see the car from the outside, you see absolutely nothing. Wasn't until they pointed it out from the inside with low light that actually see it. Pic attached is from the inside because still couldn't capture the scratch from the outside.
Attached Images

05-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBimmer View Post
So was in the middle of getting my windows tinted and when they went to put on the tint for the passenger side quarter panel you see this fingers width scratch. Dunno how I missed this with all the detailing I've done on it since ownership last week. But stupidly never sat in the back and checked out the windows from the inside, only the outside. Anyway, what are the odds that BMW will cover this? More likely what cost am I looking at if they don't cover this?

Yes, there's a chance tint guys are lying but when you see the car from the outside, you see absolutely nothing. Wasn't until they pointed it out from the inside with low light that actually see it. Pic attached is from the inside because still couldn't capture the scratch from the outside.
When did you take delivery?

Did this window have a window sticker from BMW or selling dealer that they had to remove?

Are other windows currently tinted? If they are dealer may blame tinter as some shops clean window with a blade. A practice I'm not a fan of.

Does this shop cut tint with a plotter or by hand? Plotter better so blades don't touch your car, usually.

Set yourself up the best way and ask nicely. Go back to salesman is need be.

Good luck.
      05-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
When did you take delivery?

Did this window have a window sticker from BMW or selling dealer that they had to remove?

Are other windows currently tinted? If they are dealer may blame tinter as some shops clean window with a blade. A practice I'm not a fan of.

Does this shop cut tint with a plotter or by hand? Plotter better so blades don't touch your car, usually.

Set yourself up the best way and ask nicely. Go back to salesman is need be.

Good luck.
Took delivery last Saturday and shop uses plotter. Had the shop tint all windows but the one with the scratch. Hoping dealership will correct it, but honestly don't think they will. Started looking at quotes and Safelite seems to be the best option. Honestly if dealer won't fix going to let it go for awhile since its on the passenger side quarter panel it's not affecting anything but still a PITA.
      05-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

That's likely to be a scratch from a blade. Ask them if they had to redo the tint on that window. I had something similar happen on a previous car. The guy stuffed up the tint first time around and scraped it off with a blade, inadvertently scratching the glass in the process.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:09 AM   #5
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
That's likely to be a scratch from a blade. Ask them if they had to redo the tint on that window. I had something similar happen on a previous car. The guy stuffed up the tint first time around and scraped it off with a blade, inadvertently scratching the glass in the process.
This. I’d agree it looks like a scratch caused by a blade, nice straight line on the inside, unlike the scratches caused from window use, up and down.

These can be polished out but can cause optical issues, but as it’s a passenger window wouldn’t make much difference.

I’d be looking at the tint guys, proving it may be an issue.

Check any photos you have of the car interior shots from when you got it, you may get lucky. Good luck with this, would seriously P$$ me right off to be fair!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Had you not gotten the car tinted, saw the scratch after delivery, and brought it to the attention of the dealer, they might have bent over to fix it. But given that the evidence suggests the tinter, I believe the chances of the dealer picking this up is pretty close to zero. Put yourself in their position. They see the car was tinted after delivery and the scratch is consistent with a tinter error. Why should they fix somebody else's mistake? Get the tinter to pay for the repair. If they say no, and it bothers you, get it fixed and make sure to review the tinter services as sloppy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

If you were in the UK or Germany, they would argue you or one of your kids did it since you picked up the car. Thus the probability they'll pay for it is a firm zero. However, I guess you're in the USA, and as a frequent visitor having spent time in over 30 of your fine states over the years and experienced customer service which doesn't reside in the 18th century, i reckon you might have a chance. Try it. Good luck...
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      05-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Thanks for all the replies. Took it in and even they couldn't see the thing. Because it's a quarter panel glass no go on fixing it. Only thing I'm happy about is that it's not noticeable to the naked eye and it's not on a bigger piece of glass so wasn't going to sit there and argue with them about it. Could be worse but still irking to know that flaw is there.