BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i fuel consumption impressive

10-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Mine has passed 1300miles now so will be starting to use more of its performance now.
I am certainly no racing driver so never driving anywhere near the limit but do enjoy accelerating out of roundabouts on dual carriage roads and out accelerating other cars!
Out of country at present so will press that accelerator pedal more midweek!

In terms of good mpg just down to anticipation and maintains a constant speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #24
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Be interested to know since you’ve now run this in and have some miles on the clock where your mpg figures have settled, plus if you’ve learnt any new driving styles since ownership. Just about to pick mine up next week. Exciting stuff
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #25
AP
Major General
Rep

Well as I'm enjoying it more the average is now around 32mpg(imperial)
I used it more within London which has dragged the figure down from previously which was more motorway orientated.

Superb car and you will absolutely love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #26
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Well as I'm enjoying it more the average is now around 32mpg(imperial)
I used it more within London which has dragged the figure down from previously which was more motorway orientated.

Superb car and you will absolutely love it.
That’s fantastic in all fairness, I’m currently running a G30 520d Xdrive MSport and my average is 38.9, mixed driving, but I do drive it, bit of cruising, and some squirts here and there (to be fair I gave up booting this one hard as it just made noise ) for what it is and as I’ve got used to it more and more, this little 20d isn’t a bad little engine, it’s just missing 2 cylinders that’s all. Oh and maybe another turbo.

The 435d GC I had before the 520d averaged around the 32mpg mark, but this was running quite a lot more power over standard. So on balance the 540i average mpg is totally acceptable. I have a feeling my average will be somewhat lower.

I did notice on the test drive, the 540i, in the lower revs felt similar to the 520d, obviously quieter but not a huge difference. The main difference came when floored. To be fair I only had a short test drive as I’d already decided I wanted the I6 engine regardless.

Looking forward to getting it next week and enjoying the many many toys .
Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #27
AP
Major General
Rep

Welcome

These are great forums with lots people happy to chip in with help and opinions.

I bet you won't be able to walk into the dealership when you pick up your car and not have a big grin on your face! I failed miserably!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #28
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaakti View Post
Mine 540ix after 2700km shows 14,3l/100km. City/local roads/higway but maybe in Poland we drive little bit different
for me it is 13.1l at the moment... 18000km on the clock...i remember my 520d was consuming up to 15l until 25000km and few highway trips with full throttle.
      05-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #29
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Welcome

These are great forums with lots people happy to chip in with help and opinions.

I bet you won't be able to walk into the dealership when you pick up your car and not have a big grin on your face! I failed miserably!
I would if the dealership were any good, salesman is the most non proactive person I’ve ever met. Everything at the minute is being led and pushed by me which is quite frustrating, but I know if I don’t stay on top of the deal, it will turn too Carp on collection day, because I’ll simply walk away if things that were promised to be done aren’t done or finished to an acceptable standard.

Eg. Salesman. “Would you like Protect X on the car for a discounted price of £399 sir?”
Me. “Let me discuss that when I see the car and take it for a test drive etc..”
Salesman “no problem sir”
Arrived at dealership to view and test drive this ex demo vehicle and noticed on the rear window of the car it already had a sticker stating “this vehicle has be prepared with Protect X” guess he forgot to peak it off before I got there?

One thing I cannot abide is blatant lying, and it’s gone on right through the whole sale. Some call it sales patter, I call it BS for the unaware. Most would never notice it and compete the sale without even knowing that 80% of the conversation was complete BS.
It one of the reasons why I try and find a gem of a car up for sale privately as opposed to a random main dealer I’ve never had contact with.

Already run this guy in circles, you gotta be up early to catch me out

I think my grin will start the moment I drive of the forecourt with Spotify playing “thunderstruck” lol
Appreciate 0