BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Active shutters

05-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Active shutters

I know grill has shutters, does lower portion of front bumper have active shutters. Check engine light came on, noticed shutters down there, open position. I have 540, might have been open since i have had car.

I filled car up with gas and light went off. Still raises question if that shutter down below is broken. Car says all controls ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Can't say I've noticed but as it's under warranty, straight to the dealer who should know exactly what it is
I thought the shutters only remain open if the car feels it needs to cool down after shutting down.
( mine have always closed but that may simply be down to not driving in a hot climate or driving the car hard before shutting down)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Can't say I've noticed but as it's under warranty, straight to the dealer who should know exactly what it is
I thought the shutters only remain open if the car feels it needs to cool down after shutting down.
( mine have always closed but that may simply be down to not driving in a hot climate or driving the car hard before shutting down)
They open up whenever the engine needs cooling, not necessarily when you stop after a drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
TreyWaters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
Until there is some sort of confirmation, the thinking from this thread on bimmerfest is that the lower shutters only close when driving and cooling isn't needed.

I never did pay attention before mine were replaced last year, but since then I've never seen my lower shutters closed. One of these days I'm going to strap a camera to the lower grill and drive a highway for a few minutes and see if I can catch the lower shutters closing. I'm thinking that should provide the most likely scenario the lower shutters should close - low load and plenty of airflow where closing the shutters makes the most sense for added efficiency.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - Silver / Red (2006-2009)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyWaters View Post
Until there is some sort of confirmation, the thinking from this thread on bimmerfest is that the lower shutters only close when driving and cooling isn't needed.

I never did pay attention before mine were replaced last year, but since then I've never seen my lower shutters closed. One of these days I'm going to strap a camera to the lower grill and drive a highway for a few minutes and see if I can catch the lower shutters closing. I'm thinking that should provide the most likely scenario the lower shutters should close - low load and plenty of airflow where closing the shutters makes the most sense for added efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyWaters View Post

I just walked by some else's 530 today. I took a look, lower shutters were open. Check engine must have been gas sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Had to take my G01 X3 for same reason. SA said it's becoming a very common problem among the active shutter equipped models. They install a new part and change some software.
Quote:
Had to take my G01 X3 for same reason. SA said it's becoming a very common problem among the active shutter equipped models. They install a new part and change some software.
I don't think shutters are broken. I happened to pass 2 5 series on walk from work to car. I checked out 2nd car also which was a 540, lower shutters were open.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think shutters are broken. I happened to pass 2 5 series on walk from work to car. I checked out 2nd car also which was a 540, lower shutters were open.
His CEL is on too probably lol.
They're not totally broken just opening/closing at wrong times which triggers the CEL. Likely the car will be fine but you'll just have to put up with seeing the CEL occasionally.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They're not totally broken just opening/closing at wrong times which triggers the CEL. Likely the car will be fine but you'll just have to put up with seeing the CEL occasionally.
Engine light back on. Just made an appointment for next Wednesday. I will let you all know if it's the shutters. I am 100% sure it is not gas cap.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Engine light back on. Just made an appointment for next Wednesday. I will let you all know if it's the shutters. I am 100% sure it is not gas cap.
I'm 99% sure it's your shutters
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm 99% sure it's your shutters
I hope they can fix in 1 day. I hate driving their loaners. I was just in last week to have rotors resurfaced and oil change. Gave me X1, i was so happy to get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
So, after they get replaced, do they actually close?? Sounds like the lower shutters are always open for everyone :
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertόrigen Fahrzeugs

Hi All -

1) I've never seen the lower shutters closed, but makes sense if it only occurs during driving.

2) My kidney shutters were fine at first. One day noticed they were no longer closing. No CEL, but they had a fault. Dealer replaced, they close now shortly after turning the car off.

3) BMW sent a notice that the shutters now have an extended warranty (120k miles or whatever the typical extension for a specific part is).
      05-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
I know grill has shutters, does lower portion of front bumper have active shutters. Check engine light came on, noticed shutters down there, open position. I have 540, might have been open since i have had car.

I filled car up with gas and light went off. Still raises question if that shutter down below is broken. Car says all controls ok.
My M550i lit the MIL the other day. Ran the code and it said P05AF -- lower shutters. I've been keeping an eye ever since and the lower shutters are always open. Upper shutters open/close as normal. I've got an appointment for next week (wanted to time it with service). Seems like a common issue on the G30's and other models.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
Brad4fun
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05/G30

mine is exactly the same. took to the dealership, they changed the shutter and voila. no more check engine light
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4fun View Post
mine is exactly the same. took to the dealership, they changed the shutter and voila. no more check engine light
Any word on extended warranty on this part to 120,000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
Brad4fun
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05/G30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4fun View Post
unfortunately no
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #15
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertόrigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
.. see above. I received a letter in the mail notifying me of the warranty extension.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:24 AM   #16
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

This might help
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ind/1VnZE4QuR6
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:41 AM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
.. see above. I received a letter in the mail notifying me of the warranty extension.
Yeap, me too. I just ripped it apart yesterday.
I never got CEL since I removed the active grills.

Even my X7 customer asked me to remove it within a week of delivery.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:49 AM   #18
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They can be removed permanently???
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

[QUOTE=steve090619;24769470]
Quote:

Where have you been?

Yea, I removed mine 2 years ago.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #20
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=r33_RGSport;24769832]
Quote:
Quote: