BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions An interesting interaction

05-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

An interesting interaction

I was at a stop light the other day and happened to be next to a gentleman who also enjoys spirited acceleration! This gentleman was piloting a Porsche Panamera GTS. Based on this chance meeting I would say the M550 was, in terms of real world acceleration, indistinguishable from the GTS -- The GTS started off about a half a car length ahead and got a slight jump. I stayed on its rear quarter until the speedometer showed a number that, in this specific context, could have been difficult to defend to any law enforcement officials. The pilot of the GTS was, apparently, perfectly comfortable as he continued accelerating.

Some notes:

(1) Car was in Sport Plus with DSC On.
(2) AC was on.
(3) I had just finished running errands. Specifically, the car had a full tank of gas and about 100 lbs. of "supplies" (Home Depot and booze store run)

Obviously, with DSC on, I did not use launch control.

Anyhoo...it was an interesting interaction. Good to know the M550 can keep pace with a car that runs twice the price!
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
      05-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Interesting match-up! The Porsche is about 200 pounds heavier and 3 HP lighter. I'd bet on the M550i based on these numbers. Glad to hear no one had a run-in with the law.
Appreciate 0