BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Did I screw up my car by towing it?

05-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
kwal24
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i xdrive

Did I screw up my car by towing it?

Last night I had to have my car (2018 530i xdrive) towed home. I was unaware that this car should only be towed on a flatbed and made the huge mistake of towing it with the rear wheels on the ground. I had to keep the car engine running during the tow as it was the only way to keep it in Neutral. However, after reaching home I tried to park the car but noticed a lot of error messages on the iDrive screen and the steering wheel was extremely stiff (can barely turn it). I am now really concerned that the car is messed up because of the improper towing. I cannot consult with the dealership until Tuesday as it's a long weekend here so I thought I would get some advice here in the meantime in case anyone experienced the same issue. (Pictures of the errors attached below)

I would really like to know what level of damage is possible with improper towing?

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

How long was it towed for like that?

EDIT: And what towing company towed it? Nearly all towing companies should know that an AWD BMW should be on a flatbed or on dollies..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
kwal24
Rep

It was towed for approximately 20 mins (9.5 km).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Ouch.. time to visit the dealer and get it checked out before things get worse. I'm surprised the tow operator didn't raise it as an issue. He must not have known your car was a permanent AWD. The problem with doing that is the front to rear differential split. Immobilizing the front wheels from turning and then spinning the back will force huge loads through the transfer mechanism. They're not built to slip like an LSD for example. I'm not sure what kind of coupling BMW uses in the XDrive, but since it's permanent all wheel drive, it probably doesn't have a disconnect (i.e. neutral in the transfer), and that means it will really suffer with that kind of action.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Ouch.. time to visit the dealer and get it checked out before things get worse. I'm surprised the tow operator didn't raise it as an issue. He must not have known your car was a permanent AWD. The problem with doing that is the front to rear differential split. Immobilizing the front wheels from turning and then spinning the back will force huge loads through the transfer mechanism. They're not built to slip like an LSD for example. I'm not sure what kind of coupling BMW uses in the XDrive, but since it's permanent all wheel drive, it probably doesn't have a disconnect (i.e. neutral in the transfer), and that means it will really suffer with that kind of action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Why did it need to be towed home?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
kwal24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Why did it need to be towed home?
Roadside 3-day license suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #7
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Wink

And this vehicle is an xdrive right?
Problem is you can wind up the transfer box which isn’t good.
As the Vehicle is still under warranty..... saying nothing
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      05-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
And this vehicle is an xdrive right?
Problem is you can wind up the transfer box which isn’t good.
As the Vehicle is still under warranty..... saying nothing
He left the engine running so most likely the car's computer logged that the rear wheels were spinning only while the fronts were not. Most likely they'll download the logs (yes, even battery usage is logged in these G30's) which show the drivetrain abuse and will deny warranty. You're probably going to have it repaired via a car insurance claim
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
To be honest, you're most likely fine. Yeah, ideally, you want to use a flatbed if it's AWD especially if planning on having it towed more than 5-10+ miles. However, it was only 6 miles, right? You should be fine.

When it comes to this subject from a towing company, you'll get many different responses. Some companies will only tow BMW AWD via flatbed (less risk obviously as that is how it should be done, but isn't the easiest/cheapest way), some will say it's fine to put it in neutral with wheels up as long as it's under 25-50 miles, etc.

The documented correct way from BMW is a flat bed and should be the preferred way, but again, I think your situation is okay because it was such a short distance.

There is a serious risk of damage that can occur especially when done over long distances so the risk is real. Hope everything turns out to be okay.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Crysis21
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540xi

Put a diagnosis on it and clear it's fault memory. most likely there will be no permanent error stored so you don't have to take it to the dealer and let them see the errors. Either way, I don't see this a reason to void the warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
kwal24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
To be honest, you're most likely fine. Yeah, ideally, you want to use a flatbed if it's AWD especially if planning on having it towed more than 5-10+ miles. However, it was only 6 miles, right? You should be fine.

When it comes to this subject from a towing company, you'll get many different responses. Some companies will only tow BMW AWD via flatbed (less risk obviously as that is how it should be done, but isn't the easiest/cheapest way), some will say it's fine to put it in neutral with wheels up as long as it's under 25-50 miles, etc.

The documented correct way from BMW is a flat bed and should be the preferred way, but again, I think your situation is okay because it was such a short distance.

There is a serious risk of damage that can occur especially when done over long distances so the risk is real. Hope everything turns out to be okay.

I hope so but I can feel the vibrations when I tried to drive and I lost power to the power steering. I sent the car to the dealership with the help of BMW roadside assistance today and will get an update tomorrow when the dealership opens. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I've always found that giving your service advisor free tickets to one of the local sports teams or an upcoming concert that his daughter wants to go to is very helpful in situations like this. I am still friends with some of the service advisors from years ago because of this.

A small gesture can go a long way. Just sayin'.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      05-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Your transfer case is probably screwed.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwal24 View Post
I hope so but I can feel the vibrations when I tried to drive and I lost power to the power steering. I sent the car to the dealership with the help of BMW roadside assistance today and will get an update tomorrow when the dealership opens. Fingers crossed.
Any update Kwal24? I am curious to know what the dealer said.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
kwal24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
Any update Kwal24? I am curious to know what the dealer said.
Got it fixed within a day. The dealer said that they just had to reprogram the DSC module and nothing else was wrong. They didn't charge me anything for that (I guess because of warranty). They never asked me how it happened so I didn't bother telling them.

The car seems to work fine at the moment.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      05-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Quote:
Got it fixed within a day. The dealer said that they just had to reprogram the DSC module and nothing else was wrong. They didn't charge me anything for that (I guess because of warranty). They never asked me how it happened so I didn't bother telling them.

good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

On the subject, what happens to these cars if there towed for illegal parking or something. The car is in park and no engine running.
      05-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:

Wow that's awesome!
Appreciate 0