BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540 deserving of praise

04-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #23
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

^ lovely colour Symo. When they eventually give it back to you, all that's left to do is turn off the stripclub lighting
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #24
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belvedere View Post
Quote:
I've had mine for 323 km. 6hours old and the main instrument cluster failed. Also 7 iDrive failures such as active Cruise failure, night Vision failure, active steering fail etc but I guess they are all related.

Took it back to the stealer and there it sits for just on 2 weeks now.

Ordered in early sept 2018. Picked up April 13. Returned to dealer April 15.

But. For the few hours I had the car I loved it.
Hi Symo. Sorry to hear about your problems. I was actually wondering if you'd got your car yet and here's the answer. It's probably just a bug in the CPU or some electronic component that needs replacing. I'm sure you'll be back on the road soon. Mine hasn't given me any cause for complaint in 1.5 years except for a low coolant warning. The dealer fixed it under warranty. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the car. It was a blockage due to the system not having been prepped correctly in pre-delivery. Keep us posted and hope to see some photos soon.
I did want to get it home and polish it and have it tinted before posting pics. But given that's some time off I'll put a few up here now.

More to follow
There's your problem, they put the steering wheel on the wrong side. No wonder things are working funny. Hope they can fix that because it's a beautiful car. Nice color.

I am a little jealous you have a rear fog light button. Don't know why BMW wouldn't put that in US cars as it's totally legal in the states. My last two cars had it. Although the Volvo had it in both rear lights and the Benz only the drivers rear light. Don't know how BMW implements it in EU. Is it not legal in Canada?
      04-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #25
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
540i is my favorite car ever, among the ones I've owned. Perfect balance of driving fun, comfort, luxury, tech. Butter smooth, super fast, well built, comfortable, planted... It's amazing...
Hi praise given the previous cars you are comparing it to (We've had a few of the same cars!)
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #26
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
^ lovely colour Symo. When they eventually give it back to you, all that's left to do is turn off the stripclub lighting
Ha ha yeah That's the way it was out of the box. Much better colour options available. when I get the car back I will give it to my daughter to pick the best colour scheme
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:39 PM   #27
Symo
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
There's your problem, they put the steering wheel on the wrong side. No wonder things are working funny. Hope they can fix that because it's a beautiful car. Nice color.

I am a little jealous you have a rear fog light button. Don't know why BMW wouldn't put that in US cars as it's totally legal in the states. My last two cars had it. Although the Volvo had it in both rear lights and the Benz only the drivers rear light. Don't know how BMW implements it in EU. Is it not legal in Canada?
Yeah - its strange why BMW do some things in some markets but not other markets. For example, In Australia the sunroof will automatically close if it starts to rain when left open. I don't believe the USA cars do that and I presume rain sensors are standard for the wipers there as well. Maybe the lawyers got too involved???
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #28
Symo
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post

Yeah we do things strange down here. Rear fogs can be coded I think and the switch assembly I don't think are too expensive. Ill let you know what its like when I get to drive the car in the dark
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:31 AM   #29
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
I’ve had mine a year and a half and 20,000 miles. Best vehicle I’ve owned (and I’ve had a lot) by far and zero problems.

Usually by now I’m antsy for a new car. Not with this one. And my next will be another 5.
Same here. I have had it for 8 months now and have done 14000km. There is nothing about the car I would change or don't like. Plenty fast and extremely comfortable.

When my lease is up in 2.5 years, I will 95% get another 5, as there is nothing else currently that is of interest to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:32 AM   #30
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah - its strange why BMW do some things in some markets but not other markets. For example, In Australia the sunroof will automatically close if it starts to rain when left open. I don't believe the USA cars do that and I presume rain sensors are standard for the wipers there as well. Maybe the lawyers got too involved???
I thought that was standard all over, as it is the same here in South Africa. I still want to test it one day.........
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #31
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
13 months and 12,000+ miles in here on my 540i xDrive M Sport and have loved every day I've driven it. No problems with the car and it's a dream to drive. Feels like the perfect combination of power and heft.

I have zero regrets about buying this car. It's been such an upgrade from my 2008 535xi. (However, the i4 has my eye too, if I want to move over to electric, when it comes out...)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:11 AM   #32
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

What were the issues you had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
22,000 miles on mine. A lot of problems 1st 3 months (3000 miles) but after all kinks fixed, car has been excellent. I have one of first models made so this was expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #33
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

My honeymoon is still not over & it's been 9months. I enjoy this G30 B58 sooooo much. 100% better vs my old F10 N55.