BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Turbo E36 M3 -- It's under the knife!!.....I EXCITE!

09-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #111
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by startover View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but how will this thing go up against a 135i with JB3? Is it going to completely leave the 1'er in the dust?

What's the estimated 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
it wont be pretty for the 135...at all

0-60 will depend on traction, i'm not worried about 0-60. On drag radials its not impossible to see 1.7-1.8 60 ft times and sub 4 second 0-60 sprints w/ this setup.

Trap speeds should be well over 120mph and i'm more concerned about those numbers. I will be swapping in a taller final gear (rear diff) which will help me take advantage of the power. As of right now its commical how quickly 1st and 2nd gear go by. Think.......woooooooop, shift.....wooooooooop, shift. As long as it took you to read that is how long it takes to pull the 1st 2 gears and that was on the old turbo.

Previous owner of my turbo trapped 136mph on a built motor if that tells you anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Think, dry anal rape.
I LOL's literally outloud on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
that's probably pretty accurate. the e36 M3 weighs 200-300 lbs less than a 135i, and will make significantly more power to the wheels than a JB3 135i.
yes it will far outrun at 135 and once a few more tweaks are done probably kill the 135 hard on teh track too.

my car weight in at 3210lbs at the track with a half tank of full, full size spare, cooler and all my camera equipment in it. I think in track setup it would be around 3100lbs by just removing the junk in the trunk.

The car should be 500whp+ on pump and meth once NickG gets his hands on it this fall. That will be at conservative boost levels too. Once I build the motor down the line (if it even becomes necessary) then boost will go up along with power

Nick is also tuning the sick Estorial Mcoupe that is profiled here as well. He stands alone when it comes to OBDII BMW F/I tuning. He's the man.
      09-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #112
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
yes it will far outrun at 135 and once a few more tweaks are done probably kill the 135 hard on teh track too.
yeah, even if that power hurts you in the twisties, you'll more than make up for it on the straights. to be perfectly honest with you, i think a ~stock 135i would have trouble shaking a ~stock e36 M3 on the track despite the power advantage. the e36 M3 grips and handles so damn well...the 135i not so much...

Quote:
Nick is also tuning the sick Estorial Mcoupe that is profiled here as well. He stands alone when it comes to OBDII BMW F/I tuning. He's the man.
i know...i drove it the other night (perks of being the owner's brother)...and let me tell you its ! right now its running on a slightly modified stage 3 tune and only 13psi - it pulled the Supra pretty good last night too . hard to imagine how fast its going to be once it goes back to Nick to the true custom tune.

anyways, back on topic, i'm getting excited about your car . its pretty cool to have a 35R build and a PT6262 build going on the same forums at the same time.
      09-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #113
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
yeah, even if that power hurts you in the twisties, you'll more than make up for it on the straights. to be perfectly honest with you, i think a ~stock 135i would have trouble shaking a ~stock e36 M3 on the track despite the power advantage. the e36 M3 grips and handles so damn well...the 135i not so much...

i know...i drove it the other night (perks of being the owner's brother)...and let me tell you its ! right now its running on a slightly modified stage 3 tune and only 13psi - it pulled the Supra pretty good last night too . hard to imagine how fast its going to be once it goes back to Nick to the true custom tune.

anyways, back on topic, i'm getting excited about your car . its pretty cool to have a 35R build and a PT6262 build going on the same forums at the same time.
yeah I hear ya, power in the twisties is certainly not necessary, there you need grip and brakes (which are next). Once you can stretch the cars legs I imagine its going to scream.

hit another problem today. The car is ALIVE, but there is a leak on the wastegate pipe and the vband off the turbo. They stopped working on it at 9pm tonight, couldnt ask for more out of them.

tomorrow they will pull the downpipe and wastegate setup again and shave down the wastegate flange a bit to make a better seal. Not sure what we're going to do about the vband leak.......

EDIT: ok apparently Ray at the shop couldnt stop working because he's obsessed with getting it done. He just called me at 10pm and really wants to build a new wastegate pipe. I agree, the current one looks like ass warmed over. The flange on the current wastegate pipe is warped causing a pre-turbo exhaust leak which is basically a boost leak.

he'll build a new one tomorrow and he needs some new material.

another day to wait.

Last edited by Sniz; 09-24-2009 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #114
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

yay for progress, but boo for more delays
      09-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #115
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
everytime i see that this thread is update i get all jumpy then when I open the thread up I see that you(sniz) wasnt the one who updated haha.. BOO shop taking too long TEASE!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #116
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

I got it back

actually got it back about 10:30pm Friday night, drove it straight home and got to work. Had our BMW CCA Chapterfest the next morning starting at 9am!!! Down to the wire!

Had to put the interior back together. Pulled the rear seats and rear deck so I could re-dye the faded fabric on the rear deck. What a pain in the ass. Up at 6am to get back to work and detail the car..........dedication or insanity?

Now to the good stuff. The gt35r is in and its alive....and I love it. Hits HARD and then pulls and pulls. Barely really had a chance to drive it but I'm really liking where this is going. Car is smoother too. I will have to install a MaximumPSI oil scavenge kit. The car is smoking like crazy when it comes to an idle once the oil is at full temp. I shut it down at every stoplight if I have to drive it. I'm not going to drive it unless necessary until that is done. Ordering tomorrow. As long as I rev it or the car is moving....0 smoke. Just not draining quickly enough at idle. Oh well, wasnt sure if that was going to happen or not.

Will report back after that is done and the m50 mani goes on. I'm heading out to Austin, TX for Austin City Limits and then to Montana for a week starting next Friday....so not much time but I would like to get it running 100% before I leave. Can't wait for vacation!!!

back home

09-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #117
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Looks good. Enjoy your trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #118
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

jealous.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #119
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Hooray. Need new vids nao for viewing pleasure.
      09-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #120
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Awesome!!! I'd say dedication because of your passion.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #121
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Sniz yo man , i have alot to do on my 328 to have it look like your OMG STUNNING m3 turbo

m3 turbo e36 is my dream car , after i finish studying ill try to find a E36 m3 in 100% condition (it's almost impossible) .

Soo i hope to see some vids and wish you and your car the best .

- Joseph
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #122
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

hey guys!!!

the car is running and running like a top when its at speed. The car just PULLS.

problem is, I think I have the CHRA clocked wrong (center section of the turbo) and its causing the oil to not drain fast enough at idle. Oil is pooling and then being pushed through the seals causing massive smoke clouds. it can also hurt the seals if it goes on too long. so basically I need to redo the clocking of the turbo but the bolts on the exhaust housing are very well.......stuck. Kinda fused in from the heat. I'm working on getting them loose and really dont want to remove the turbo but i might have to.

also have a bad exhaust leak off of the vband flange that was already on the turbo. We fear it may be warped.

just more pieces to the puzzle.

I'm leaving for vacation at 6am Friday for austin, TX and then Montana.

Austin City Limits then duck hunting and trout fishing......god this is going to be a great and very needed vacation.

short story is I wont have time to get the car back on the road until the week after next.

be patient.....I promise video's as soon as its back on the road!!

and its FAST.

From my last Montana trip

09-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #123
kartracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe, 2017 M240ix

Hey Matt, your car is coming along great. Happy belated birthday and have a great trip!

MikeB
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #124
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
problem is, I think I have the CHRA clocked wrong (center section of the turbo) and its causing the oil to not drain fast enough at idle. Oil is pooling and then being pushed through the seals causing massive smoke clouds. it can also hurt the seals if it goes on too long. so basically I need to redo the clocking of the turbo but the bolts on the exhaust housing are very well.......stuck. Kinda fused in from the heat. I'm working on getting them loose and really dont want to remove the turbo but i might have to.
by "clocked wrong," i'm assuming you mean the CHRA is off by a few degrees (kinda like timing belt/chain can be off by a tooth or more)? if so, i didn't even know that CHRA's had to be aligned like that. i just figured that if you can't detect any play in the CHRA indicating that the rotational axis is off-center, you're good to go (correct me if i'm wrong). are you confident that its not just some bad or mis-seated turbo seals?

Quote:
also have a bad exhaust leak off of the vband flange that was already on the turbo. We fear it may be warped.
yeah, that would be my guess too, seeing as how a V-band doesn't use a gasket of any kind to rely on for a perfect seal.

anyways, can't wait to see this thing running 100%...don't forget to make some videos.
      10-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #125
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
by "clocked wrong," i'm assuming you mean the CHRA is off by a few degrees (kinda like timing belt/chain can be off by a tooth or more)? if so, i didn't even know that CHRA's had to be aligned like that. i just figured that if you can't detect any play in the CHRA indicating that the rotational axis is off-center, you're good to go (correct me if i'm wrong). are you confident that its not just some bad or mis-seated turbo seals?

yeah, that would be my guess too, seeing as how a V-band doesn't use a gasket of any kind to rely on for a perfect seal.

anyways, can't wait to see this thing running 100%...don't forget to make some videos.
I was referring to the CHRA not being in the right position. It needs to be rotated counter clockwise a bit if your looking at it from the exhaust housing.
      10-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #126
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Sniz you def want that pointing as straight down as possible, when exactly is it smoking though? Idle all the time? Do you know the exact model of your old turbo? Was it journal bearing?
      10-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #127
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Sniz you def want that pointing as straight down as possible, when exactly is it smoking though? Idle all the time? Do you know the exact model of your old turbo? Was it journal bearing?
yeah I know, its a dual BB gt35r. The problem is it was pointing straight down on the previous owners AA log manifold, on my Technique Tuning manifold its cocked as you can see the photos to about 7 to 7:30 if your looking from the rear of the car. Reclocking the turbo would be easy IF the bolts weren't seized due to the heat these turbo's run at on the exhaust side.......I snapped the head off one tonight trying to free it. So thats a no go.

I am ordering a MaximumPSI oil sump kit tomorrow that will solve any issues, it will pull the oil out and send it right into the oil pain. It should solve all issues. I have no choice at this point.

I also pressure tested the exhaust tonight and it looks like the V-band is NOT leaking thank god......its actually the old gasket that was re-used on the new wastegate pipe off that same TT manifold. It seems that manifold does not have a well machined flange for the new wastegate pipe to seal to. Its a brand new flange that has been customed fitted to the manifold and it wont seal w/ the typical metal gasket, so i'm going to try a thicket style in hopes of eliminating this large pre-turbo exhaust leak.

w/ those 2 things out of the way this car should feel great and only get better. I drove it today again and it simply did not smoke at all until I let it sit at idle for roughly 5 minutes once the oil temp was at 200 degrees.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

here are the pics of new custom SS piping work. I'm pleased with this new shop.

you can see all the new pipes here.....in total all 4 pipes in and out of the turbo were re-worked and cleaned up. Much better welds than the previous kit had.

New 3" intake pipe

Here is the best pic I have of the new custom charge pipe going to the intercooler. Its been coated in black. Its an oval shape right off the turbo, under the frame rail and sway bar then opens up into the typical circle shape.

its picked me up well over 1.5" in ground clearance. I'm running full down on ground control coilovers to test the clearance and so far i've been good.

10-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #128
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Damn you for making me consider getting a car to tinker with..... probably won't happen any time soon...we'll see
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #129
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
yeah I know, its a dual BB gt35r. The problem is it was pointing straight down on the previous owners AA log manifold, on my Technique Tuning manifold its cocked as you can see the photos to about 7 to 7:30 if your looking from the rear of the car. Reclocking the turbo would be easy IF the bolts weren't seized due to the heat these turbo's run at on the exhaust side.......I snapped the head off one tonight trying to free it. So thats a no go.

I am ordering a MaximumPSI oil sump kit tomorrow that will solve any issues, it will pull the oil out and send it right into the oil pain. It should solve all issues. I have no choice at this point.
Do it right and take the turbo back out replace the bolts and clock it, a sump is only a bandaid and not perfect, though you should run one anyway since you look to be pretty close to the oil level.

Not as much of a problem for a ball bearing, but keep in mind the pump may actually pose a restriction, how much boost will you be running?

Also I thought your new turbo was a gt35, what is your OLD turbo.

Last edited by O-cha; 10-01-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #130
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Do it right and take the turbo back out replace the bolts and clock it, a sump is only a bandaid and not perfect, though you should run one anyway since you look to be pretty close to the oil level.

Not as much of a problem for a ball bearing, but keep in mind the pump may actually pose a restriction, how much boost will you be running?

Also I thought your new turbo was a gt35, what is your OLD turbo.
i was assured that my drain position and the sump will be fine, but I agree, I would like to redo all those bolts and reclock as well, just worried about a possible outcome. I can only imagine how much a pain in the ass it will be though, i'm not even sure its doable really....those bolts are not in a position you could get a drill to them to drill them out. If they all snap off and I cant get them out i'm screwed and will need to buy a new turbo.

the old turbo was a sc60-1 HiFi journal bearing
      10-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #131
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i was assured that my drain position and the sump will be fine, but I agree, I would like to redo all those bolts and reclock as well, just worried about a possible outcome. I can only imagine how much a pain in the ass it will be though, i'm not even sure its doable really....those bolts are not in a position you could get a drill to them to drill them out. If they all snap off and I cant get them out i'm screwed and will need to buy a new turbo.

the old turbo was a sc60-1 HiFi journal bearing
You can take the coverings off for access.

Also if your old turbo was journal have you incorporated a pressure reducer? Also what does your feed line look like?

Certain things to do with these can cause smoking.
      10-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #132
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You can take the coverings off for access.

Also if your old turbo was journal have you incorporated a pressure reducer? Also what does your feed line look like?

Certain things to do with these can cause smoking.
yes it does have a pin hole sized oil pressure reducer, feed line is SS line, not sure the ID of it though.

I wish I had the specifics on the size of the reducer but it is many times smaller than the one on the journal bearing. It was running on a built s52 w no smoking issues. I'm strongly beleiving the differences in the 2 cast log manifolds are causing the smoking at idling. The sump kit should cure that, if not, i'll do what is necessary to remedy.

I do appreciate the input

next step.....Aquamist HFS6 and custom retune.....cant wait

this car is gonna be scary fast.