BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2020 530e battery issues

04-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
Tm_rome
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 35

2020 530e battery issues

I have had my 2020 530e for 1.5 years. For the majority of the time, I was able to get a charge to 18-20 miles. Over the past 4-6 weeks, I cannot get anything over 14 miles on a full charge. I have asked my local service advisor, but he was clueless and said he really didn’t understand the battery life on the car and said it was unpredictable. Can anyone offer any advice? I feel like some batteries may have failed, but I don’t get any service notifications. It is frustrating, as this is a pretty huge drop.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I used to get a reading of 16 but lately I have been getting 13 or 14. I think they may have changed the algorithm. But the real test if whether you are getting less actual mileage or is it just a display issue.

I think it is mostly a display issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #3
Slo G30
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

I have a 2018 530e that I bought used from the original owner in Feb of 2022. That owner put only 17k miles on the car, but when I got it it was only giving me between 6 and 8 miles per charge.

I went to my local BMW dealer and they went ahead and tested all 6 cells for me.

After 2 hours of waiting they confirmed that 3 of my cells had failed the test. They let me take the car home and set up a day where they would replace those cells completely under warranty (I think for our plug-in hybrids we get a 6 year 60,000 mile warranty on all hybrid parts (Its 8 years and either 80k or 100k for fully electric BMWs))

It took a month for the cells to come in, but after they installed those cells, they found that the other three cells had also failed. So then my car had to wait in the shop for another month, which means I was without my vehicle for 2 months which was annoying, but they gave me a service loaner so I wasn't complaining.

So yeah, 17k miles of running over 5 years and all 6 cells had already failed....kinda wierd...

Now I am getting 18 miles in the summer.

The 2020+ 530e's have a bigger battery than mine....I think yall have an extra three battery cells.

But theoretically, the service center should be willing to help especially for your cars considering yours is a 2020.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tm_rome View Post
I have had my 2020 530e for 1.5 years. For the majority of the time, I was able to get a charge to 18-20 miles. Over the past 4-6 weeks, I cannot get anything over 14 miles on a full charge. I have asked my local service advisor, but he was clueless and said he really didn’t understand the battery life on the car and said it was unpredictable. Can anyone offer any advice? I feel like some batteries may have failed, but I don’t get any service notifications. It is frustrating, as this is a pretty huge drop.
Thanks.
Speak to another service advisor, no dealer should be telling you "hurr durr electrons scare me go away". Get them to perform a battery health check to confirm that there aren't any dead cells. Insist on a formal test with equipment and a proper test report and not some generic "we charged the battery and went for a drive, and everything is fine!". They should be able to confirm the health of your pack, if it is below a specific threshold (>80% total charge I believe) the pack should be covered by warranty. Unless you put on an ungodly amount of distance on your 2020 you should still have a HV battery warranty. Good luck.
Appreciate 0