BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Black M Style kidney grills for my 540

01-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #23
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin30x View Post
I disconnected motor from grills in open position does the job. (Removed plug) 5 min job.
Hmmm...

Any further details for the noobs?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #24
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Or perhaps get a grill that won’t interfere with the opening and closing of the active grill? Any recommendations, i’m leaning towards the single (iperformance) blades.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #25
Martin30x
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i xdrive

Remove 1x cable (1x plug) if you look thru grill, you will see it. Cable that goes to grill.

Just disconnect (remove) plug. Dont matther in which position if you disconnect it, you can push with fingers blades to open. Grill will open. You need to apply a bit of force to open them.

I keep mine open all the time as with double blades grill looks crap when closed.

** just take a look on realoem active grill. There is nice picture of connector where it is exactly. You cant miss it.. for better acces you can remove top cover (2min job) the one above grill.

** dosent give any errors on dashboard, but when you scan car thru obd there will be stored error. Car itself in oboard computer in dtc cannot see that error.

Enjoy
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      01-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Remove 1x cable (1x plug) if you look thru grill, you will see it. Cable that goes to grill.

Just disconnect (remove) plug. Dont matther in which position if you disconnect it, you can push with fingers blades to open. Grill will open. You need to apply a bit of force to open them.

I keep mine open all the time as with double blades grill looks crap when closed.

** just take a look on realoem active grill. There is nice picture of connector where it is exactly. You cant miss it.. for better acces you can remove top cover (2min job) the one above grill.

** dosent give any errors on dashboard, but when you scan car thru obd there will be stored error. Car itself in oboard computer in dtc cannot see that error.

Enjoy
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #27
bretpfair
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:

Enjoy
I Removed the plug when the vents were in the open position and now have a check engine light on. Checked the fault error and it is Reading a "motor" error. I wonder why yours isnt reading any faults?
      01-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post

Yup!

I wanted the M5 look on my M550i, but saw this, and decided it was not a good look.

It's been suggested that the active grills can be removed, but I am not going to bother on a 3-year lease.

IMHO, be careful what you wish for...

Seems like you are halfway there.

Quote:
I disconnected motor from grills in open position does the job. (Removed plug) 5 min job.

Grills stay all the time open. No warning on dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretpfair View Post
Quote:

Enjoy
I Removed the plug when the vents were in the open position and now have a check engine light on. Checked the fault error and it is Reading a "motor" error. I wonder why yours isnt reading any faults?
With new software update, you'll get a CEL.
My CEL came on after dealer did software update when they are doing the fuel temperature recall fix.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #29
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Seems like you are halfway there.
Nope...

That was a pic sent to me by another supplier when I wanted to make sure that their grilles would fit my car. The assured me they would, and were willing to take them back if they didn't.

However, they were not willing to take them back if I didn't like what they would look like installed. Thus, they sent me the pic, first.

Good thing they did...

Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
540iSUP703.00
      10-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #30
hart07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUDAV333 View Post
Was looking at getting black kidney grilles fitted from new but glad I didn't pay the £120 parts and £60 fitting. Got my grille on Ebay for around £50. I took a before and after photo and the time difference between the two is 3 minutes! Wasn't racing to do it quick either
No problem with the active grille?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #31
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

How hard is it to remove the standard grilles and replace with black?

Any special,tools or technique needed?
      12-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #32
ppham5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
How hard is it to remove the standard grilles and replace with black?

Any special,tools or technique needed?
No special tool maybe the flat screwdriver. Take like 5 minutes
Appreciate 1
AidenL67.50
      12-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #33
ppham5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart07 View Post
No problem with the active grille?