BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Extended paddles mod and battery disconnect

11-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Extended paddles mod and battery disconnect

I bought a set of extended paddles that replace the original OEM ones but it requires access to a couple of torx screws inside the steering wheel which necessitates moving the steering wheel mounted airbag out of the way (its only mounted with a spring)

If I don't disconnect the airbag electrical connection, do I really need to disconnect the battery (as most tutorials suggest)?

Mainly I want to avoid any annoying errors and issues that sometimes occur with disconnecting of the battery. I've never experienced any of these so called issues before but to be fair I've only ever worked on older cars that don't have all these new fangled monitors and sensors and adaptive alternator bullshit so I really don't know if these are issues are that significant or common.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #2
F30MGM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
I bought a set of extended paddles that replace the original OEM ones but it requires access to a couple of torx screws inside the steering wheel which necessitates moving the steering wheel mounted airbag out of the way (its only mounted with a spring)

If I don't disconnect the airbag electrical connection, do I really need to disconnect the battery (as most tutorials suggest)?

Mainly I want to avoid any annoying errors and issues that sometimes occur with disconnecting of the battery. I've never experienced any of these so called issues before but to be fair I've only ever worked on older cars that don't have all these new fangled monitors and sensors and adaptive alternator bullshit so I really don't know if these are issues are that significant or common.
If you disconnect battery you don't have to reset airbag light
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MGM View Post
If you disconnect battery you don't have to reset airbag light
ah yeah

I managed to do this a while ago.

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting a set of replacement aluminum/CF paddles instead of the "stick-on" types
Appreciate 0