BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Is this a good deal?

11-18-2020, 02:15 AM   #1
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M Sport / '21 M550i

Is this a good deal?

Hi guys, I've been a long time user of Bimmerpost, coming on almost everyday for the past three years to check on what's new and for any advice.
However, I never had an account until finally today because I need help on if this would be a good deal. My order will go in next month for January allocation because the December allocation is already closed.
So still have a couple of weeks left to haggle and I wouldn't like to down pay at all but this is the current situation.
Looking for advice and any help would be very much appreciated.

2021 BMW M550i

MSRP: $97,125

$5,000 Down Payment

$7,000 off the MSRP (Looks like 7.2% off)

12,000 miles / 36 months

Monthly Payment with tax is $1,069
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
2008E92335XI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

What types of options did you add in that brought the price up to $97k?

Money down a lease is not typically a good idea. Most have been able to snag around 10% off. Check out some of the brokers as well. They can get you some good deals
Appreciate 1
Alcenos143.00
      11-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

There’s several factors which make up a good deal, not only the MSRP. Is your discount pre-incentives and are you being offered the base money factor (interest)?

The current base money factor being offered from BMWFS is .00082. Dealers have the ability to mark up this rate, up to an additional .0004. It might not sound like a lot, but this amount on a 97K lease is the equivalent of roughly $2,000+ or $64/month!

I think you’d be able too to snag roughly 10-10.5% off pre-incentive right now with base money factor through a broker.

Keep in mind that with a broker, you’ll be paying a broker’s fee ($200-800) and typically shipping costs to get your car from wherever this dealer is to you (up to $1000). Factor that into the deal if you’re currently working with a local dealer.

For me, I was able to get a dealer 10mins away from me to do 9% off MSRP pre-incentives with base money factor. Calculating the savings of not having to deal with a broker’s fee or shipping, this was a solid deal for me versus the 10-10.5% I would have gotten via broker.

Finally, figure out how much in various fees the dealer is charging. This adds to your total out of pocket and can impact the quality Of one deal versus another.

Edit: one last point. Consider using some or all of your down payment toward Multiple security deposits (MSD) instead. These are fully refundable up front cash deposits that effectively buy down your interest rate. The max you can use is 7 MSDs and each is the equivalent to one monthly payment. Doing this saved me an additional couple thousand dollars over the total cost of my lease.

FWIW, here's a link to the leasehackr calculator I used to solidify my own deal. I was able to get my 87K 3yr/30k lease down to under 750/mo including taxes with a combination of 9% discount, incentives, MSDs, and down payment. Yes, down payment is discouraged, but I have outside motivations driving a lower payment (convincing the wife).
http://leasehackr.com/calculator?mak...Tax_radio=true

Play around with the calculator, or even send it to your dealer once you have a deal in mind. They can then mess around on their part to see how to get you at the final payment and out the door cash you're looking for.

Last edited by Beerflakes; 11-18-2020 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerflakes View Post
There’s several factors which make up a good deal, not only the MSRP. Is your discount pre-incentives and are you being offered the base money factor (interest)?

The current base money factor being offered from BMWFS is .00082. Dealers have the ability to mark up this rate, up to an additional .0004. It might not sound like a lot, but this amount on a 97K lease is the equivalent of roughly $2,000+ or $64/month!

I think you’d be able too to snag roughly 10-10.5% off pre-incentive right now with base money factor through a broker.

Keep in mind that with a broker, you’ll be paying a broker’s fee ($200-800) and typically shipping costs to get your car from wherever this dealer is to you (up to $1000). Factor that into the deal if you’re currently working with a local dealer.

For me, I was able to get a dealer 10mins away from me to do 9% off MSRP pre-incentives with base money factor. Calculating the savings of not having to deal with a broker’s fee or shipping, this was a solid deal for me versus the 10-10.5% I would have gotten via broker.

Finally, figure out how much in various fees the dealer is charging. This adds to your total out of pocket and can impact the quality Of one deal versus another.

Edit: one last point. Consider using some or all of your down payment toward Multiple security deposits (MSD) instead. These are fully refundable up front cash deposits that effectively buy down your interest rate. The max you can use is 7 MSDs and each is the equivalent to one monthly payment. Doing this saved me an additional couple thousand dollars over the total cost of my lease.

FWIW, here's a link to the leasehackr calculator I used to solidify my own deal. I was able to get my 87K 3yr/30k lease down to under 750/mo including taxes with a combination of 9% discount, incentives, MSDs, and down payment. Yes, down payment is discouraged, but I have outside motivations driving a lower payment (convincing the wife).
http://leasehackr.com/calculator?mak...Tax_radio=true

Play around with the calculator, or even send it to your dealer once you have a deal in mind. They can then mess around on their part to see how to get you at the final payment and out the door cash you're looking for.
Came in to say all of this. I personally paid $400 broker fee and am driving to pick up my car (2 hours away) and got base MF and 10.5% off plus all incentives on a November Build M550i through a broker.

Happy to connect you via PM to him if desired. I would completely echo Beerflakes' point of factor in the $1,200-$2,000 for broker fee and shipping.

If you're paying more than $2k on top of 10% off and base MF from any local dealers, you're going to save money using a broker and you're leaving money on the table.

If you're at/less than a $2k difference with your own negotiation, congrats that's a killer deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M Sport / '21 M550i

You guys are amazing!
Thank you guys so much for the help, I now have the knowledge on what I need to do, as well as a tool for the battle to come.
It definitely seems the guy I'm dealing with isn't the best so I'll be going to a different dealer tomorrow.
Hopefully I can overcome this adversary and get that killer deal.

Be safe and take care!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerflakes View Post
This thread is gold for lease n00bs like me.

1) thanks
2) what are the conditions surrounding the MSD? do you only get that money back if you return, what if you decide to buy-out at the end?
Appreciate 0