E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 3M Headlight Kit Cloudy/Hazy Problem

03-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

3M Headlight Kit Cloudy/Hazy Problem

I bought this kit to remove some scratches from my headlights. I started on the first one but it's looking cloudy/hazy still after hitting it with the 3000 Trizact. Am I not using it hard/long enough? Should it be looking clear after the 3000? I have Meguiars polishing compound I was going to use after but I feel like the headlight should be somewhat clear by now...What should it be looking like after the 3000? My batteries for the drill are charging now in the meantime since I ran out of battery power.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
I bought this kit to remove some scratches from my headlights. I started on the first one but it's looking cloudy/hazy still after hitting it with the 3000 Trizact. Am I not using it hard/long enough? Should it be looking clear after the 3000? I have Meguiars polishing compound I was going to use after but I feel like the headlight should be somewhat clear by now...What should it be looking like after the 3000? My batteries for the drill are charging now in the meantime since I ran out of battery power.
Check out the video below about performing a headlight repair due to haze. It's from Larry of AmmoNYC who has his own Youtube channel with a lot of helpful videos. Good luck

03-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Taruno
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d 2007

I've polished mine on the E61 and the 3000 grit should levae them completely hazy and very evenly hazy mind you. After that hit it with an abrasive pad and polishing compound, and then a swirl remover polish and you will get a crystal clear finish. I WILL strongly advise you to get some headlight clearcoat by Duplicolor (it has UV protection) in a spray can and do 2 passes, after that go for a quick polish and you will get brand new headlights for at least 4-5 years, without the clearcoat in about 1.5 years you will see yellowing again.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Donlin
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The UV protection is a very big step that is skipped after working on headlights. They will yellow again quicker than before if not done.
Appreciate 0