BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery M550i build

03-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #89
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmh23 View Post
Looks great! Congrats. It that black nappa or mocha nappa leather you went with? Hard to tell in the direct sunlight.
It's Mocha. I'll have some post-delivery picture next week.
      03-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #90
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Jagu, don't cheap out on us...give us some first impressions...particularly of the power.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #91
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, I got my car last night and I am still in awe of what BMW has done with the M550I.
The car is perfect for me because I wanted a true executive sports sedan that I can drive every day without being bored and I think this car will do it for me.

I like Immediate power with near zero acceleration lag in sports mode.
The DHP Package is almost a must for this car because It truly makes the car feel smaller at any turn and the minimal body roll control really works well.
My favorite mode so far is actually the adaptive mode because it seems to select the right gear at the right time but the sports mode is more entertaining.
The electronics are more advanced than any car that I've recently driven. The display screen is very clear and the voice recognition system works all the time, unlike my F10's system.

The fuel consumption is very good because I got 22mpg on the same route that I invariably got 17mpg with my F10 550i.

My only regret is that I did not get the Alcantara headliner.

I have no cons to state about this car, so forget every con that anyone has told you and get it. It's that good.

I apologize for the awful cell phone pictures but I won't have time to take glamor shots for a while.

Spare tire with reduced trunk space:

Last edited by Jagu; 03-09-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Carnook132.00
      03-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #92
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Wooo hoo!! Looks great! Looking forward to more pictures. We should continue the discussion on the DHP. I am starting to use adaptive mode more. My S6 did this and it worked well. I am hopeful for the same in the M550i. I agree the car feels so much smaller than it is. The rotation is great. Parking is simple. I have a rather twisty road with back to back to back quick curves that is a 30/40 mph road that you can do 60/70 on in this car. It responds quickly, but there was a little bit of a wierd feeling that felt artificial. I need to push that section again, to really understand what the car is doing. I have no settled in on the body roll yet. I get some but not much. I would love to be able to answer the question if this is less than previous generation. It does not seem uncomfortable to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #93
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Spyfish, the body roll in this car is considerably less than the F10 550 with the DHP, which I also owned.
This car is also more sure footed and stable than the 550. My wife remarked that she doesn’t feel sea sick in the M550 when we went out last night.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #94
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are some better pictures and thanks to everyone in this thread.

mqmh2319.50
Carnook132.00
      03-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #95
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Very nice! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #96
mqmh23
X5 40e -> M550i -> Tesla MYP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Here are some better pictures and thanks to everyone in this thread.

Congrats on a beautiful spec. I went the exact opposite and went for alpine white with the same Mocha Nappa leather. Seeing your delivery pictures gets me ever more excited for mine to arrive. It just finished production "155" status this week and should be on a vessel soonish.
Carnook132.00
      03-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #97
spyfish007
Rep

What happened to cartaozinho?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #98
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Spyfish, the body roll in this car is considerably less than the F10 550 with the DHP, which I also owned.
This car is also more sure footed and stable than the 550. My wife remarked that she doesn’t feel sea sick in the M550 when we went out last night.
Glad to hear your perspective. The car feels pretty planted. Just need some more top end power..... You know at silly speeds. Loads of power down low. The car is so smooth and civil that you don't realize the speed till you look in the rear view mirror!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #99
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
What happened to cartaozinho?
Not dead. Yet. Just been crazy busy. Anyway, here's my thoughts:

I took delivery of a 2018 M550i a few weeks ago. Since that time I’ve been doing the commute thing during the week and been on one shorter road trip (120 miles, each way). I’ve got about 800 miles so far and I wanted to share some thoughts.

First, the specs of my ride. My car is Alpine White, with Black Nappa Interior, and Burl Walnut trim. It has the standard 19” wheels (664M) with performance run flats. The car has all of the packages expect Dynamic Handling. That is, my car has Cold Weather, Driving Assistance, Driving Assistance Plus, Executive, Luxury Seating, and Parking Assistance. For options I have the power rear sunshade, dynamic digital instrument cluster, Apple CarPlay, and the Bowers & Wilkins surround sound system.

Pics will follow once the crud weather around here clears up (I didn’t move to California for this!) and I get a chance to give the car a bath.

Engine

I’m still in the 1200 mile break-in window. So I’m keeping the tach below 4500 rpm. Even so, this twin turbo 4.4L V8 has loads of torque. And those loads of torque are available everywhere on the tach. I just love the way it will pin you to the back of the seat and hold you there. And this is true whether the car is starting from a standstill or on the freeway going 65. Incredible.

Transmission

It has the hallmark of a great gearbox — I don’t even notice it. And this is true whether I’m in Sport or Comfort mode. I know the car has paddle shifters. But the Sport and Comfort modes do such a good job of keeping the transmission in the “right” place I cannot imagine ever using those paddles…maybe on a long, steep decline?

Handling

The car is glued to the road. During a test drive I tried to break the car loose by going down a clover leaf at ~60 mph. The car just ate the pavement, politely said “thank you,” and asked for seconds. My specific vehicle feels the same way.

Brakes

If you are driving on public roads, it will stop as quickly as you should ever need it to. It is the only car I have ever owned that feels adequately braked.

Overall driving

I’ve mentioned to several people that this is the safest car I have ever owned. And that is true despite all of the whiz-bang safety features. The car is glued to the road, can be put wherever you need it to be (and quickly), and will stop as quickly as you should ever need it to. I believe that much of car safety depends on driver awareness and keeping the vehicle comfortably inside of its operating envelope. On public roads, it would be a bad idea to find the boundaries of this cars operating envelope.

I’m still learning many of the ins and outs of the car’s various systems. Here are some thoughts so far.

Heads-Up Display (HUD): I bought an iPhone when they first came out in 2007. I remember thinking, at the time, that the world had changed. This was a product in which there would be a clear before and after. Put another way: I had a feeling that this product was going to be yuge! Well, I got the same feeling with HUDs. They are a no-brainer safety improvement. I’d be willing to bet the NTSB will start requiring them in new vehicles within the next five years. Meantime, the BMW’s HUD works great in every condition I’ve used it. The music info and navigation instructions integrated makes it even better.

Self driving: My commute is 20ish miles. The first 10 miles (or so) are on surface streets and the remainder is on freeway. After negotiating the surface streets, and once I have safely merged onto the freeway, I set the cruise control, click the “little steering wheel” button for lane keeping, and turn on the massage seat. The car does almost all of the driving until it is time to exit. That includes any congested/stop-and-go traffic situations. Obviously, I still keep alert. But the car makes the least enjoyable part of my commute take much less cognitive overhead.

My only real complaint about the self driving is how it negotiates freeway turns. Like most people, I tend to take an inside line. The lane-keeping/self-driving, in contrast, tends to take an outside line (at least relative to the line I would take). Also, as the car exits a turn it will keep its line a bit too long and “bounce” off the opposite lane marker before settling back in to a straight-line. I have started to gently correct the car as it exits the turn. Interestingly, the steering has some extra heft to it while lane keeping assist is engaged. And I could almost swear that the car is getting better at driving itself. But it’s probably just me adapting to the cars driving style.

Parking system: My car gets parked in a single-car garage. The 3D overhead view and mirror folding are fantastic for such a tight squeeze. In parking lots, when possible, I tend to keep my sweet baby well away from other cars. At work, owing to too many people chasing too few parking spots, this is not possible. Again, the 3D overhead view is a big help in such situations. Last week, on a lark, I used the automatic parallel parking feature. It works great. The system is probably faster and better at parallel parking than I am. I will continue to use this feature when the situation calls for it. Put another way: For me, manually parallel parking is a frustrating, potentially embarrassing, and definitely time-consuming exercise. It is now a machine’s job.

Stereo: The B&W is good. It has the hallmark of B&W speakers: neutrality. Some might even call it emotionless or cold. For lossless source material I have a USB thumb drive plugged into the center console jack. This works great with one exception: I have yet to figure out how to get playlists recognized, let alone functioning. I talked to the BMW Genius at my dealership and he said I’m SOL on the playlist front. Also worth noting -- I read several forum posts that iDrive only recognized FLAC. Well, I keep my library as Apple Lossless and it works just fine.

BMW Connected Drive App for iPhone: This has a couple of great features. The most valuable is being able to search for destinations in the app’s map. These can then be sent immediately to the iDrive navigation system, which I find to be quite good (especially the HUD integration). I hate entering addresses into the GPS by hand. So this feature is a big winner for me. The next most valuable features are being able to remotely check/verify the lock status of the car/windows/etc. And as the weather warms up I’m sure I’ll start using the pre-conditioning feature too. The 3D view is a cool trick to show your friends but, ultimately, pretty gimmicky.

That’s all I’ve got so far. Hope everybody else is enjoying their M550i as much as I’m enjoying mine. And for those who are still waiting on a boat, hold fast. The good times are on their way!

Last edited by cartaozinho; 03-15-2018 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Fixed bad grammar.
Appreciate 2
mqmh2319.50
Carnook132.00
      03-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #100
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
Glad to hear your perspective. The car feels pretty planted. Just need some more top end power..... You know at silly speeds. Loads of power down low. The car is so smooth and civil that you don't realize the speed till you look in the rear view mirror!
I know the feeling. I've found myself stopping at yellow lights I might have tried to get through previously just so I can sit at the front of the line and enjoy the seat-pinning acceleration. That and seeing a gap open up between me and the rest of the traffic!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #101
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine is finally here. My SA called me as soon as the truck arrived and coincidentally I was driving on the highway near them and was able to detour and see it get off the truck. I was able to sit in it and confirm that it was correctly optioned. I’ll update tomorrow night after picking it up.

Here are some pictures at its most virgin state.
That's a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #102
Pimpf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M-Sport, Soph Grey

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaozinho View Post
Not dead. Yet. Just been crazy busy. Anyway, here's my thoughts...
Brilliant review, thanks, no 540 for me but a 530e that hopefully is being offloaded from the ship as I type this.

Chomping at the bit...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #103
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaozinho View Post
I know the feeling. I've found myself stopping at yellow lights I might have tried to get through previously just so I can sit at the front of the line and enjoy the seat-pinning acceleration. That and seeing a gap open up between me and the rest of the traffic!
Lol, I do the same just to feel the stopping power of the brakes and then listen to that “brap” sound when it changes gears under hard acceleration. This car is perfect. I feel like I own a BWM again. A feeling that I never had in any of my three F10s in the past 6 years.
mqmh2319.50
      03-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #104
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

My car just arrived at dealer today! Alpine white with mocha nappa. On spring break currently in New Orleans so will pick up when I get back.
Appreciate 1
mqmh2319.50
      03-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #105
mqmh23
X5 40e -> M550i -> Tesla MYP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownsoccer22 View Post
My car just arrived at dealer today! Alpine white with mocha nappa. On spring break currently in New Orleans so will pick up when I get back.

I got the same ext/interior specs. Throw up some pictures when you get it delivered. Mine should be getting on a ship this week! The anticipation is killing me
      03-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #106
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmh23 View Post
I got the same ext/interior specs. Throw up some pictures when you get it delivered. Mine should be getting on a ship this week! The anticipation is killing me
You will love the mocha interior. I’ve always played it safe with black but the mocha is so good looking, luxurious and easy to clean.

I love the car a lot and the only two complaints that I have are the shiny plastic trims in the center console requires constant cleaning, so keep a micro fiber cloth with you. I also hate the excessive brake dust but it makes it look as if I have black wheels.
      03-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #107
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
You will love the mocha interior. I’ve always played it safe with black but the mocha is so good looking, luxurious and easy to clean.

I love the car a lot and the only two complaints that I have are the shiny plastic trims in the center console requires constant cleaning, so keep a micro fiber cloth with you. I also hate the excessive brake dust but it makes it look as if I have black wheels.
Ivory is a better color choice than mocha!!

On a serious note, the wheels have a black inside which helps hide the brake dust. Anyone switching brake pads to reduce the dust? I did this on my Audi S6 and it helped tremendously and with minimal loss in stopping power.
Appreciate 0