BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bimmercode vs OBD11

03-19-2023, 08:32 PM   #1
Ralph
Rep
Drives: m550

Garage List
2020 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Bimmercode vs OBD11

I am coming from the Audi world and have an OBD11 Bluetooth dongle and a bunch of leftover credits. I’ve got the BMW OBD11 app and plan to try some of the apps.

Does bimmercode have additional functionality over OBD11? If it’s only a few apps then I don’t mind missing out. If there’s some decent functionality I’d like to pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 01:29 AM   #2
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Never heard of obd11 but just checked it out, and realized what you meant when you mentioned credits….. 😂

Ditch that trash, buy a ENET adapter for your phone and ENET obd cable, or buy one of the dongles recommended by BimmerCode.

It’s $80 for BimmerCode(Coding) & BimmerLink (Diag) and you get access to the whole kitchen, including sink !

BimmerCode offers access to modules that allow you to tinker and mess around with code that’s beyond coding basic options.
Appreciate 1
MRDILLONS138.00
      03-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #3
Carmody
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I am coming from the Audi world and have an OBD11 Bluetooth dongle and a bunch of leftover credits. I’ve got the BMW OBD11 app and plan to try some of the apps.

Does bimmercode have additional functionality over OBD11? If it’s only a few apps then I don’t mind missing out. If there’s some decent functionality I’d like to pick it up.
I have used both OBD11 and BimmerCode. They work in a very similar manner: you buy an adapter and install an app to you smartphone. At a basic level (which I am only familiar with), they allow one to make similar adjustments, but BimmerCode is more straightforward and user friendly (for OBD11 to be user friendly, one has to use credits that you mention; otherwise, one has to search Audi forums for algorithms to make specific adjustments). I would not call OBD11 trash, as it allows one to make some adjustments that BimmerCode cannot do: for example, displaying the current gear number when the transmission is in 'D' mode. Also, OBD11 does car systems diagnostics.

Here is the list of OBD adapters that work with BimmerCode: https://www.bimmercode.app/adapters/. I bought OBDLink CX Bluetooth adapter and am very happy with it. You can check what you can do with BimmerCode here: https://www.bimmercode.app/cars/g30/. I made the following adjustments in my car: disabled the auto start function, made "Sport Individual" the default driving mode, eliminated annoying beeping when the trunk is being closed, reduced the temperature of seat heating and steering wheel heating, maybe a few other adjustments that I cannot recall now.

I highly recommend BimmerCode: it makes your car more enjoyable and does not cost anything beyond the price of the adapter (I paid $80).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 11:36 AM   #4
Ralph
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmody View Post
I have used both OBD11 and BimmerCode. They work in a very similar manner: you buy an adapter and install an app to you smartphone. At a basic level (which I am only familiar with), they allow one to make similar adjustments, but BimmerCode is more straightforward and user friendly (for OBD11 to be user friendly, one has to use credits that you mention; otherwise, one has to search Audi forums for algorithms to make specific adjustments). I would not call OBD11 trash, as it allows one to make some adjustments that BimmerCode cannot do: for example, displaying the current gear number when the transmission is in 'D' mode. Also, OBD11 does car systems diagnostics.

Here is the list of OBD adapters that work with BimmerCode: https://www.bimmercode.app/adapters/. I bought OBDLink CX Bluetooth adapter and am very happy with it. You can check what you can do with BimmerCode here: https://www.bimmercode.app/cars/g30/. I made the following adjustments in my car: disabled the auto start function, made "Sport Individual" the default driving mode, eliminated annoying beeping when the trunk is being closed, reduced the temperature of seat heating and steering wheel heating, maybe a few other adjustments that I cannot recall now.

I highly recommend BimmerCode: it makes your car more enjoyable and does not cost anything beyond the price of the adapter (I paid $80).
Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned I have over 100 credits with obd11. Maybe I’ll just use those up and then move on to Bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #5
Ralph
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
Never heard of obd11 but just checked it out, and realized what you meant when you mentioned credits….. 😂

Ditch that trash, buy a ENET adapter for your phone and ENET obd cable, or buy one of the dongles recommended by BimmerCode.

It’s $80 for BimmerCode(Coding) & BimmerLink (Diag) and you get access to the whole kitchen, including sink !

BimmerCode offers access to modules that allow you to tinker and mess around with code that’s beyond coding basic options.
I wouldn’t exactly call it trash considering it has 90% of the functionality of Bimmercode. Yes, the credits are less than desirable but as I said I already have a number of them from my Audi.

It does diag and all that as well.
Appreciate 0