BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit?

12-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #23
dooh
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Hi there,

My car does have Driving Assistant/Parking Assistant Plus and I am trying to upgrade from Sport Steering Wheel to MSport Steering Wheel with heating. I will need to wires or cabling is already present?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #24
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooh View Post
Hi there,

My car does have Driving Assistant/Parking Assistant Plus and I am trying to upgrade from Sport Steering Wheel to MSport Steering Wheel with heating. I will need to wires or cabling is already present?

Hi what year is your car ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:50 PM   #25
dooh
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmer View Post
Hi what year is your car ?
Hi, 2017. I managed today to retrofit MSport Steering Wheel with heating. Needed just VO editing and coding the modules, no cables or any modification.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #26
Zeroheight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport

Garage List
2018 540i  [0.00]
Hey bro,

Thank you for this great write up as I’m planning on doing this retro soon. One request, I have tried to click on the photo links but they didn’t work. Could you please up the photo links?

~Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKK74 View Post
I just finalize my heated steering wheel retrofit for my G31. Finally I got it work

What you need:

- Steering wheel with heating button including "electronic steering wheel module", which is little box inside steering wheel (see TIS: ControlUnit A69). This little box controls heating and (optional) vibration function.

- New steering column switch cluster (TIS: ControlUnit A83) (Suitable part numbers: 61317944073 or 61317944074) which have heating power pins on connector "A83_4B".
If your switch cluster is "61317944072" from factory, it wont work with heating....
Check this picture and part number table (part number 1).

I picked my second hand steering switch cluster from eBay with 60€.
Note: In case of G30/G31 switch cluster is not any kind of control unit. It`s only BCM slave... some kind of "routing matrix" without brain... Very easy to swap with new one.

- Behind steering wheel/switch cluster wiring is 100% "retrofit ready". Already from factory. But important note! There is one missing fuse+missing wire behind fuse box (TIS: Fuse Box "Z44")

If steering wheel heating option 248 is fitted from factory, there is Red/Grey- coloured power-wire between Fusebox (from Fuse 57) to connector "X434*1B_pin_1".

But without heating option this wireline above is non-wired. This is propably main reason for problems for all who had tried to get this retrofit working... I think so. For me it took couple of hours to find this damned missing line / X424*1B -connector before get this working. So you have to wire that missing line behind fuse box from F57 to "X434*1B" (pin1) and then your steering wheel electronic module (TIS: A69) will be powered!

For some nice reason power wire from "X434*1B" to steering switch cluster is pre-wired from factory (Wire is Green/Blue-coloured). Which is nice of course.

Here is few needed pictures. I hope this will help somebody.
G30/G31 Steering wheel heating retrofit pictures

And after all.... then coding. Update option 248 to VO and recode BCM, HU-UNIT and KOMBI.

btw. If you are installing shift paddle version of steering wheel, remember to route one missing shift paddle signal cable from steering column cluster to BCM. Otherwise shift paddles wont work after coding. Check this picture
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:36 AM   #27
Wookster78
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

For anyone looking to do this connector X434*1B is located on the passanger side, inside the end dash cover. As this is the other side from the fuse box a quicker and easier way to run the missing power cable is to come directly out of fuse box Z44 Fuse 57 and run the wire directly up the steering column to connector A83*1B pin 9. This pin is already taken with the green/blue wire which in effect does nothing, take this connector out and replace it with the new wire from the fuse box and you will have power for the heated wheel.

Last edited by Wookster78; 08-05-2022 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Solution found to previous post
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #28
Wookster78
Rep

Pic of connector A83*1B attached showing blue/green wire in pin 9
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:54 PM   #29
rocinante
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 G31 530dX

Hi Wookster78

If possible can you share the part number for the wire to buy to connect from F57 to the pin on SZL? I want to do the same for heated and paddle shifter as well

Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #30
Wookster78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post
Hi Wookster78

If possible can you share the part number for the wire to buy to connect from F57 to the pin on SZL? I want to do the same for heated and paddle shifter as well

Best Regards
The wire is just a standard car audio wire 0.75mm can get anywhere, I bought mine in a 2m length on ebay for a couple of pounds. If you didn't have paddle shift before and you are adding then you must route one additional wire from the steering column cluster to the BCM module otherwise it won't work after coding. Mine already had paddle shift so I didn't need to do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 04:37 AM   #31
rocinante
Rep

Quote:
I just finalize my heated steering wheel retrofit for my G31. Finally I got it work

What you need:

- Steering wheel with heating button including "electronic steering wheel module", which is little box inside steering wheel (see TIS: ControlUnit A69). This little box controls heating and (optional) vibration function.

- New steering column switch cluster (TIS: ControlUnit A83) (Suitable part numbers: 61317944073 or 61317944074) which have heating power pins on connector "A83_4B".
If your switch cluster is "61317944072" from factory, it wont work with heating....
Check this picture and part number table (part number 1).

I picked my second hand steering switch cluster from eBay with 60€.
Note: In case of G30/G31 switch cluster is not any kind of control unit. It`s only BCM slave... some kind of "routing matrix" without brain... Very easy to swap with new one.

- Behind steering wheel/switch cluster wiring is 100% "retrofit ready". Already from factory. But important note! There is one missing fuse+missing wire behind fuse box (TIS: Fuse Box "Z44")

If steering wheel heating option 248 is fitted from factory, there is Red/Grey- coloured power-wire between Fusebox (from Fuse 57) to connector "X434*1B_pin_1".

But without heating option this wireline above is non-wired. This is propably main reason for problems for all who had tried to get this retrofit working... I think so. For me it took couple of hours to find this damned missing line / X424*1B -connector before get this working. So you have to wire that missing line behind fuse box from F57 to "X434*1B" (pin1) and then your steering wheel electronic module (TIS: A69) will be powered!

For some nice reason power wire from "X434*1B" to steering switch cluster is pre-wired from factory (Wire is Green/Blue-coloured). Which is nice of course.

Here is few needed pictures. I hope this will help somebody.
G30/G31 Steering wheel heating retrofit pictures

And after all.... then coding. Update option 248 to VO and recode BCM, HU-UNIT and KOMBI.

btw. If you are installing shift paddle version of steering wheel, remember to route one missing shift paddle signal cable from steering column cluster to BCM. Otherwise shift paddles wont work after coding. Check this picture
Any idea or plans to provide some proper links or uploading pictures for this connector? I cannot find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 12:49 AM   #32
rocinante
Rep

So for those who want to do, this is how I did it.

The part number for the fuse pin is 61138377730. I got a 10m 0.75mm2 cable and crimped the fuse pin on one end. Put the pin in the z44 fusebox (the one under the passenger side in LHD) in fuse number 57. It will be a little tricky to get the pin in. There is a blue color thing which will be in the way. You have to play a little bit to get it in. I routed the wire Behind the front ac vents and reached the steering wheel. To remove the pin9 on the A83*1B connector was really hard. I couldn’t find a way. So I cut the blue green wire entering the connector and joined with the wire I routed from the fuse. Then a 10A fuse at fuse 57 and boom, heating working like a charm.

Of course, I did the 248 VO coding before, that’s why it worked. I don’t have photos or videos. I hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 05:48 PM   #33
JKK74
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post
Any idea or plans to provide some proper links or uploading pictures for this connector? I cannot find it.
Links & pictures fixed now
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:16 AM   #34
Vanesso
Finland
Rep
Drives: G31 540xd

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for helpful manual and pictures!
I am going to retrofit the heated steering wheel alongside with ACC and steering assistant. I need to run few wires across the interior, let's say approximately from fuse box Z44 towards the SAS module which is close to driver's legs. So pretty similar routing to what is needed for heated steering. Please advise, what is the simplest way to run a wire like that? What plastic should be disassembled?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 06:33 AM   #35
Taker
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Please advise 😉
I have G30 2019 pre-LCI 530e and would like to retrofit heating steering function.
As shown in the photo, my current steering wheel is regular sports steering wheel (non M sports) with Driving Assistance Plus and Parking Assistance, therefore there is touch control (sensor), vibration generator, wheel control element, all multifunction switches and all related wiring harness is already inside except paddle shifter and heating switch, and of course steering wheel with heating element.
Name:  current sports steering.PNG
Views: 1081
Size:  795.8 KB

After some surveys from these posts, I conclude it should stay pre-LCI steering wheel, no LCI nor M-sports. because LCI wheels has lack of vibration generator inside and if I go for M-sports, I need to buy all elements and airbags, etcs.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=243
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=21
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444289

I have found such a spare part 699509604 available as shown in the photo and was wondering if it is possible to use for my purpose.

Name:  avaiable offer.PNG
Views: 1003
Size:  729.0 KB

This is a standard sports steering wheel and no DA/PA but with paddles and steering wheel with heating element and the heating switch.
My plan is to move all current components into the new heated steering wheel which means airbag, touch control(sensor), vibration generator, wheel control element, multifunction switches to get steering wheel with all functions available.
Will you kindly advice this is possible or not ?

If this combination will work, my assumption is then just plug and install combined wheel, then heating steering will work after coding via BimmerCode.
But paddle shifter, I need additional wiring SLZ(pin 3) - BDC(pin 5) and VO coding (from 205 to 2TB/2TE) but this is not possible via BimmerCode.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/g...s-2te.1374813/

Is my assumption correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #36
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taker View Post
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Please advise 😉
I have G30 2019 pre-LCI 530e and would like to retrofit heating steering function.
As shown in the photo, my current steering wheel is regular sports steering wheel (non M sports) with Driving Assistance Plus and Parking Assistance, therefore there is touch control (sensor), vibration generator, wheel control element, all multifunction switches and all related wiring harness is already inside except paddle shifter and heating switch, and of course steering wheel with heating element.
Attachment 3135625

After some surveys from these posts, I conclude it should stay pre-LCI steering wheel, no LCI nor M-sports. because LCI wheels has lack of vibration generator inside and if I go for M-sports, I need to buy all elements and airbags, etcs.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=243
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=21
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444289

I have found such a spare part 699509604 available as shown in the photo and was wondering if it is possible to use for my purpose.

Attachment 3135624

This is a standard sports steering wheel and no DA/PA but with paddles and steering wheel with heating element and the heating switch.
My plan is to move all current components into the new heated steering wheel which means airbag, touch control(sensor), vibration generator, wheel control element, multifunction switches to get steering wheel with all functions available.
Will you kindly advice this is possible or not ?

If this combination will work, my assumption is then just plug and install combined wheel, then heating steering will work after coding via BimmerCode.
But paddle shifter, I need additional wiring SLZ(pin 3) - BDC(pin 5) and VO coding (from 205 to 2TB/2TE) but this is not possible via BimmerCode.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/g...s-2te.1374813/

Is my assumption correct?
I highly doubt about the possibility to re-install the touch sensor mat from one wheel to another. You need to remove the upholstery and somehow combine heating wires from one wheel with touch sensor mat from another wheel, and sue the leather back on it. That sounds unreasonable to me.

Coding with Bimmercode is also an unlikely method, unless there are only a few parameters to change and you know exactly what those are. For VO coding you need a laptop with E-sys.

I think your way is to buy a full option wheel and use Esys for coding of what you want. Wiring to be fixed wherever needed, but it doesn't sound that complicated as the work with the steering wheel that you planned
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #37
Taker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesso View Post
I highly doubt about the possibility to re-install the touch sensor mat from one wheel to another. You need to remove the upholstery and somehow combine heating wires from one wheel with touch sensor mat from another wheel, and sue the leather back on it. That sounds unreasonable to me.

Coding with Bimmercode is also an unlikely method, unless there are only a few parameters to change and you know exactly what those are. For VO coding you need a laptop with E-sys.

I think your way is to buy a full option wheel and use Esys for coding of what you want. Wiring to be fixed wherever needed, but it doesn't sound that complicated as the work with the steering wheel that you planned

Thank you for your comment. I didn't know that touch mat is inside of wheel. Hmmm, I will reconsider how to do this as you say it and I agree that is not reasonable. Maybe I will try hands off detection emulator?
I need to study e-sys coding so far I have coded only by BimmerCode.
Thanks anyway for advices

Last edited by Taker; 03-22-2023 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:04 PM   #38
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taker View Post
Thank you for your comment. I didn't know that touch mat is inside of wheel. Hmmm, I will reconsider how to do this as you say it and I agree that is not reasonable. Maybe I will try hands off detection emulator?
I need to study e-sys coding so far I have coded only by BimmerCode.
Thanks anyway for advices
I just wonder why would you think of simulator if you can buy a wheel that includes everything from factory? I tend to think the price is similar, but availability is indeed a challenge. There is a lot of M-wheels on the market, but the Sports wheel (option code 255) with paddle shifter, assistants and heating is a rare item. Meanwhile I have bought mine from Poland, from Allegro marketplace.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #39
Taker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesso View Post
I just wonder why would you think of simulator if you can buy a wheel that includes everything from factory? I tend to think the price is similar, but availability is indeed a challenge. There is a lot of M-wheels on the market, but the Sports wheel (option code 255) with paddle shifter, assistants and heating is a rare item. Meanwhile I have bought mine from Poland, from Allegro marketplace.
Exactly I am serching it from Allegro market place but it seems I need to wait item suitable for my purpose.
I could just go for M sports steering wheel with full option plus new airbag but that cost is also not reasonable for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #40
Chalimon
Rep
Drives: BMW G12

Hello, I would like to know if it would be similar for a 2016 7 series G12 (wiring wise) for the heated steering wheel retrofit.
I got the heated switch (which goes on the steering column)
I will need to buy the heated wheel for sure.
Maybe I do need the other element like the one you got for the G30.

I looked at the fuse box under the glove box and it looks similar but not the same.

Does anyone knows how to do it or has a lead about doing it?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:21 AM   #41
dymONE
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 530xd

Hello,

I know that it was already explained, how to code heating option via Esys (code option 248). But I don't have an Esys SW. I do have Bimmercode and Protool SW.

Is it possible to code it via Bimmercode or Protool? If so, can you please share with me, what exactly should be changed in that tool?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:21 PM   #42
fju2112
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic

I am looking at a '21 M550i and would love to add the heated steering option, seems it's fairly straightforward with a solid mechanic (the one I go to specializes in Benz and BMW). So where do I find what I need from a parts standpoint, obviously the steering wheel itself - about how much do they go for and where can I find them?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:18 PM   #43
Bosniak
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
As one of the people who did it on the F30, yes, it would most definitely be doable on the G30, and most likely easier as all of the wiring should be in place and the button for it is on the steering wheel instead of the steering column housing.

Biggest question I think to ask is, does your car now already have the features like Lane Departure or Blind Spot where the steering wheel vibrates? If so, then you already have the right wiring in place. You would just need to find the heated wheel that also has the vibration motor, then swap them, then just code the car with option 248 for the heated steering wheel.
Hello there, 4 years late, but do you mean to tell me that, if i have every single option, which can fit on a steering wheel, apart from heating, that the wiring and heating element is already inside the wheel?
Because that wouldn’t be gokd in my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:38 AM   #44
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosniak View Post
Hello there, 4 years late, but do you mean to tell me that, if i have every single option, which can fit on a steering wheel, apart from heating, that the wiring and heating element is already inside the wheel?
Because that wouldn’t be gokd in my case.
He's talking about the wiring. If you have any form of Driving Assist that works with a vibrator motor on the steering wheel, then the wiring for 248 Heated Steering wheel is already there. There is NO HEATING ELEMENT. You will have to find a heated steering wheel preferably one that has the same options that you currently have. Otherwise, it will take extra work to migrate the vibrator motor, front trim and buttons (for if you have DA Pro for LCI people), as well as their associated control modules and wiring that's behind the steering wheel trim.
Appreciate 0