BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) dead insects stuck to paint - how to get off?

03-24-2023, 12:17 AM   #23
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Is it some kind of dealer provided ceramic coating or you did it yourself or went to a shop?
dealer applied it

so i have no idea if they are good at what they do. probably paid their office boy to do it.

it sounded like a good idea at the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 06:34 AM   #24
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
dealer applied it

so i have no idea if they are good at what they do. probably paid their office boy to do it.

In the US if a dealer is selling you a real name brand ceramic they would send the car out to a 3rd party's shop and add a makeup to the cost of the work.

The dealers here also offer other types of paint protection finishes that in my opinion cost them virtually nothing, they are glorified wax jobs and don't offer the same protection like a real ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
dealer applied it

Ahhh yeah, I do expect/think they aren't as good unless it would be a more popular name brand.

My dad also went through one of those dealer applied coatings with a random brand I never heard about and it's already lost most of it hydrophobicity. Also I noticed he had swirls and he asked the dealer and they didn't even polish/correct the car before applying it All that for 1000$ Canadian pesos lmfao for a ~ 60$ ceramic coating product. It's not part the SOP of the product to polish. Defeating the whole point of a ceramic coating since your paint isn't perfect under. So yeah... dealers are always scammers/stealers in my eyes and they don't sell high quality products, they sell things that makes them the most money/profit. Could explain why your experience with it isn't the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:04 AM   #26
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

My wife had "ceramic coating" applied on her RDX by the dealer. Complete garbage. The car had water spots all the time and didn't release bugs, dirt / contaminants nearly as easily as wax or sealant.

Last edited by CarsAndGuitars; 03-24-2023 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #27
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ahhh yeah, I do expect/think they aren't as good unless it would be a more popular name brand.

My dad also went through one of those dealer applied coatings with a random brand I never heard about and it's already lost most of it hydrophobicity. Also I noticed he had swirls and he asked the dealer and they didn't even polish/correct the car before applying it All that for 1000$ Canadian pesos lmfao for a ~ 60$ ceramic coating product. It's not part the SOP of the product to polish. Defeating the whole point of a ceramic coating since your paint isn't perfect under. So yeah... dealers are always scammers/stealers in my eyes and they don't sell high quality products, they sell things that makes them the most money/profit. Could explain why your experience with it isn't the best.
It's actually a fairly popular brand in Australia and NZ. Properly applied, it will hold up just fine (no better or worse than the standard fair ceramic coating being sold here). The problem with dealer applied (usually through a third party) is that they request for no paint prep and usually only do a single coat application. So it's probably a $200 retail priced job that they charge $1000-1500 for to the consumer. Not to mention they don't explain any of the fine print or upkeep/maintenance requirements in order to keep these 3, 5, 7, 10 year "warranties". It's like getting your windows tinted from the dealer. They may say that you are getting ceramic tint, but it is literally the lowest of the low quality. I've dealt with many third party shops that do this work for dealers, and they often carry a secondary supply of "dealer film" that the actual shop would never use or sell you if you went there independently.
      03-24-2023, 09:07 AM   #28
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I do the same for bird poo. Then just dab it lightly to remove.

Rob
I always keep a roll of paper towels in the trunk and a spray bottle of water. I find myself using them at least once a week.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #29
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
My wife had "ceramic coating" applied on her RDX by the dealer. Complete garbage. The car had water spots all the time and didn't release bugs, dirt / contaminants nearly as easily as wax or sealant.
Dealers love selling you add-ons like what they call ceramic coating, this is a high markup item for them and complete BS!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #30
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

I used to use a really wet towel or a old tee-shirt on my Ducs... worked good while I had 2 beers resting, bugs came right off.....
Appreciate 1