BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Run flat tires - don't like - don't see the advantages

06-20-2023, 10:12 PM   #67
GSMCCASH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
My understanding is the OEM ordered run-flat tires have a lower top speed maximum (governor set around 130 mph) as opposed to the OEM non run flat tire option set around 155-160 mph on the M550i.

I just picked up my 2023 M550i last Saturday with the non flat 20” Bridgestone S007 tires. Nterestingly, Tire Rack shows the OEM tire as Michelin Pilot Sport.

Is this correct information on the top speed limit?

Is the OEM tire Bridgestone S007 or the Michelins?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:30 PM   #68
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMCCASH View Post
My understanding is the OEM ordered run-flat tires have a lower top speed maximum (governor set around 130 mph) as opposed to the OEM non run flat tire option set around 155-160 mph on the M550i.

I just picked up my 2023 M550i last Saturday with the non flat 20” Bridgestone S007 tires. Nterestingly, Tire Rack shows the OEM tire as Michelin Pilot Sport.

I think the limiter has to do with the A/S tires, not whether ROF or not. Our 2014 535i came with ROF's and the higher (155) limiter.
Appreciate 1
NGT25665.50
      06-20-2023, 11:41 PM   #69
ab1752
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:

Both of my m550is were delivered with michelin pilot super sports. Due to supply, I had pilot sport 4s installed on the first one and they were great too obviously.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 02:40 AM   #70
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
My 2019 540xi has OEM Goodyear All Seasons, but not "Exhilarate"—they are Eagle Sports. They are adequate for my driving, but when they expire I, like several others mentioned, will switch to Michelin A/S4+ZPs. I have the Michelins on my Corvette and have had them on other cars. Unlike many here, I am a big fan of runflats. They have saved me a couple of times. One winter night I was driving to a dinner party and hit a piece of jagged concrete broken off a curb. The dashboard lit up and said I had lost air in the left front tire. I drove on to the dinner, drove home then drove to the dealer the next morning. The tire was toast—the first hit caused a two inch gash in it—and the wheel was slightly bent, but they did their jobs. —Bob
As you know, I’m not a fan of runflats. I’ve had several experiences as you on my prior F10 where I’ve lost all pressure on the way to something or home from something. They allowed me to get there, get home and to the dealer the next morning. That said, in all three of the instances that come to mind, if I weren’t running runflats, I most likely would not have gotten a flat in the first place. This doesn’t seem to be the case with your run in with jagged concrete.

The minuses of runflats far outweigh the occasional pluses for me. This is why BMW is moving away from runflats.
      06-21-2023, 02:42 AM   #71
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:

Can be anything - Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Continental - the BMW happens to have a contract at the time your car was built. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use something else if the specs match (size, load rating, speed rating) - my 550 had Bridgestones as OEM (never again), now on Michelin PS4S and nothing else will go to my car, they are by far the best! Well, maybe when their replacement PSS5 is available as non-OEM, that might be another story.

Also, the run flat/non-run flat has nothing to do with speed limiter, that’s due to all seasons you guys use in the US as they are not rated for higher speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:26 AM   #72
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
That's the way manufacturers do it. They don't just throw shocks and springs on a corner and send the car down the line. Tires are part of the suspension, so their characteristics must be considered when calibrating shock and spring values. A few fellow car owners and I got to interact with one of the suspension engineers (IIRC, his name was Jonathon Crocker) from a little known F1 team (Michael Schumacher) when he went to work for Lincoln developing the LS. He gave us quite a bit of insight in all that goes into suspension design/calibration.
I understand what you are saying, but how do you know they calibrated it with RFT and not non RFTs? You can get the 5 series wheels in multiple sizes, brands, rft , non rft, summer sport, summer touring, all season and etc. So just wondering if you actually read/confirm somewhere that they calibrated it with RFTs or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:10 PM   #73
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

You don’t mention anything about ride quality or noise. Sounds like no prior experience how run flat can be a life saver at times when you are on the clock heading somewhere or late at night.

Sure you can fix a flat, but it appears this assessment is more annoyance about the waste of money on RFTs and that alone.

Would you make the same post if your tire replacement cost $250 at the dealer and it was all done without second thought?

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 08:28 AM   #74
GSMCCASH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Can be anything - Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Continental - the BMW happens to have a contract at the time your car was built. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use something else if the specs match (size, load rating, speed rating) - my 550 had Bridgestones as OEM (never again), now on Michelin PS4S and nothing else will go to my car, they are by far the best! Well, maybe when their replacement PSS5 is available as non-OEM, that might be another story.

Also, the run flat/non-run flat has nothing to do with speed limiter, that’s due to all seasons you guys use in the US as they are not rated for higher speed.
I see others have gotten the Potenza S007 tires. They seem to quiet, sticky tires based on comments, but very low treadwear mileage. Personally, the ride seems great…so far. Regardless of mileage wear, when the time comes for new tires, I’ll most likely go with Michelin Pilot Sports ultra performance summer only.

When I ordered my M550i, the build sheet showed “increased speed limit option NRFT”. This does not show on the window sticker…Just the build sheet.

I’ve seen several posts that the Non Runflats are limited to 155/160 mph, run flats limited to 130/135 mph for the US for the M550i. In addition, there are a lot of AS Ultra High Performance tires with W and Y speed ratings available. My Conti DWS06 plus is a w-rated tire for my SUV. The SUV is limited to 140 mph although the tires are rated for 168mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 12:40 PM   #75
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

RFs are absolute crap IMO. What nobody tells you is if you even roll them deflated for a mile, they're ruined. So don't understand why manufacturers don't include the flat-tire repair kit for those too. And also contrary to what most owners believe, RFs collapse too, and with such a heavy car, I bet that happens a lot sooner than the 20 miles it took on my first (much lighter) Vette. Unless you work the night shift at the Bronx, they're not worth it, as they provide a false sense of security IMO. And only specialized shops (in large cities) can remove/install them... and they still manage to damage your wheels with low profiles. Plus nobody carries those darn tires, so it'd take days to get one. The only semi-good news is they don't seem to require special wheels anymore, so we could change them for non-RFs.

Looks like the G60 is thankfully not offered with RFs anymore, although only the 530i is listed for now. Good riddance.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 12:52 PM   #76
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCtx View Post
RFs are absolute crap IMO. What nobody tells you is if you even roll them deflated for a mile, they're ruined. So don't understand why manufacturers don't include the flat-tire repair kit for those too. And also contrary to what most owners believe, RFs collapse too, and with such a heavy car, I bet that happens a lot sooner than the 20 miles it took on my first (much lighter) Vette. Unless you work the night shift at the Bronx, they're not worth it, as they provide a false sense of security IMO. And only specialized shops (in large cities) can remove/install them... and they still manage to damage your wheels with low profiles. Plus nobody carries those darn tires, so it'd take days to get one. The only semi-good news is they don't seem to require special wheels anymore, so we could change them for non-RFs.

Looks like the G60 is thankfully not offered with RFs anymore, although only the 530i is listed for now. Good riddance.
I am fine with run flats, but I get that they, like everything else on cars, cause a very individual response from each of us.

That said, BMW moving away from them is likely to be replaced by "Tire Mobility Kits" aka slime. Since the slime is likely lighter than the extra weight run flat tires add to the car. Unless things have changed, tire stores consider tires injected with slime to be a hazard so they won't repair them and instead will only replace them. So in that scenario the run flat and non-run flat will meet the same fate -- new tire.

So far, I haven't had an issue with my run flat tires, but I have had issues with go flats on my previous car; including needing a tow for a double tire blow out from a pothole. I like the idea that run-flat would have allowed me to drive home and let them pick it up instead of waiting hours for a tow to the dealership on the side of the road.

But it is all very personal for sure. Will be interesting to see what the full kit look like on the G60. Perhaps they've done something other than slime.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #77
JCtx
Major General
Rep

As far as 'allowing you to drive home', it depends how far you live. As I mentioned, they collapse too, and with such a heavy beast, you'd better be less than 20 miles away from home (I wouldn't be surprised if they collapse in 10). And you better be near a shop equipped with the specialized tire changers needed to deal with those tires. I forgot to mention how much heavier those tires are, which should be anathema to install them on a sport/sporty car. Finally, I'd NEVER use that goop crap on a tire. I always carry a flat-tire repair kit (Stop'nGo is the best IMO) and a compressor. And I'd use it even if it was an RF, since rolling it deflated even for a mile, damages it internally, and has to be replaced. In fact, most shops won't repair an RF even if you tell them it wasn't rolled deflated, out of fear of liability. By the way, RFs seem to get damaged easier than regular tires when hitting potholes, so yet another detraction from them, when in theory they should be tougher, due to stiffer sidewalls. All in all, I personally don't see a single advantage of those tires, other than maybe if you work at night at a dangerous place.

But maybe I was too harsh with 'absolute crap', since I'd probably use them for at least 10K miles if I ended up with them, as tires are not cheap (plus want my new wheels pristine for at least some time. Ha ha). But the extra unsprung weight I'm sure it doesn't feel nice. But if I get a flat, I'd immediately patch them, like I always do any tire. And if shop doesn't want to patch it, then I'd replace them all with non-RFs at that point.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #78
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
As far as 'allowing you to drive home', it depends how far you live. As I mentioned, they collapse too, and with such a heavy beast, you'd better be less than 20 miles away from home (I wouldn't be surprised if they collapse in 10). And you better be near a shop equipped with the specialized tire changers needed to deal with those tires. I forgot to mention how much heavier those tires are, which should be anathema to install them on a sport/sporty car. Finally, I'd NEVER use that goop crap on a tire. I always carry a flat-tire repair kit (Stop'nGo is the best IMO) and a compressor. And I'd use it even if it was an RF, since rolling it deflated even for a mile, damages it internally, and has to be replaced. In fact, most shops won't repair an RF even if you tell them it wasn't rolled deflated, out of fear of liability. By the way, RFs seem to get damaged easier than regular tires when hitting potholes, so yet another detraction from them, when in theory they should be tougher, due to stiffer sidewalls. All in all, I personally don't see a single advantage of those tires, other than maybe if you work at night at a dangerous place.

But maybe I was too harsh with 'absolute crap', since I'd probably use them for at least 10K miles if I ended up with them, as tires are not cheap (plus want my new wheels pristine for at least some time. Ha ha). But the extra unsprung weight I'm sure it doesn't feel nice. But if I get a flat, I'd immediately patch them, like I always do any tire. And if shop doesn't want to patch it, then I'd replace them all with non-RFs at that point.
It is tricky when judging a tire since we don't really have unlimited money and not all tires are available in both formulations. So you can't easily isolate out if the problem is due to it being a run flat or not.

I can say, for certain, that I had constant blowouts and bubbles from my Continental ContiProContact Mercedes OEM tire on my '14 C300. I went through 10, yes 10!, in a year. Mercedes Wheel & Tire paid for all of them. My wife got fed up with constantly needing to get the tires swapped so when it has a double tire failure I let the Wheel & Tire subsidize my switch to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires which didn't need a replacement for the 4 years they were on the car. Both same brand, but the two tires were not equally durable.

I haven't had a single tire blowout or bubble in 4 years on my Goodyear run flats on my 530e (which I believe is the heaviest version of the G30 due to the HV batteries). I've hit some nasty potholes that have bent the wheels and etc. I'm on 18" wheels which I optioned specifically for increased durability.

Even if the tire only lets me get off the highway to deal with it. That's enough for me. I'm not a fan of dealing with tire issues on the side of a highway where distracted drivers can slam into your parked car at 90MPH.

For BMW they don't really care that slime will wreck your tire. Their guidance is the same in all cases run flat or not; call roadside assistance and let the BMW dealership charge you for a new tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:34 PM   #79
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Unless you get a blowout (which wouldn't matter if it's RF or not), you get PLENTY of warning with TPMS to pull over safely, so I don't see that as an RF advantage at all. Plus I've only had ONE flat in the decades I've been driving... and it was on ex-M3 V8 (when I was pulled over coming from Austin). Plugged it with my Stop'nGo kit, and made it the 300 miles home safely. Flats are rare nowadays, especially if you pay attention where you thread (which I do). By the way, if I ever get pulled over on the highway again, will wait until an exit.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:02 PM   #80
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Unless you get a blowout (which wouldn't matter if it's RF or not), you get PLENTY of warning with TPMS to pull over safely, so I don't see that as an RF advantage at all. Plus I've only had ONE flat in the decades I've been driving... and it was on ex-M3 V8 (when I was pulled over coming from Austin). Plugged it with my Stop'nGo kit, and made it the 300 miles home safely. Flats are rare nowadays, especially if you pay attention where you thread (which I do). By the way, if I ever get pulled over on the highway again, will wait until an exit.
I haven’t had a blowout yet on my RFT, but I didn’t see any warning that the tire wouldn’t be drivable on a blowout. Why would that be the case? Obviously, the tire needs replacement afterward, but it is designed to be driven on 0 pressure…

Don’t worry I am not aiming to convert you. As I said earlier, tires are super personal and elicit a lot of emotion.

For me, I am fine with my RFT and any “extra cost” is absolved by the Wheel & Tire plan

Pulling over at the next exit isn’t a bad idea. It is what I did when I was last pulled over. We lose at least one trooper a year to people crashing into them on the side of the highway… So I doubt the cop will give you grief for helping them return to their family at the end of their shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:12 PM   #81
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
what i dont like the most is the additional vibration/feedback from rfts as the sidewalls are so hard. you can especially feel them more on bends, but overall that feeling is always there.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:15 PM   #82
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I like the idea that run-flat would have allowed me to drive home and let them pick it up instead of waiting hours for a tow to the dealership on the side of the road.
This is pretty much how it played out for me. Over the course of around 5 years, I’ve had 1 blowout on rft’s, and 2 on non rfts. (Also dws06) It’s definitely more miserable having them on non rfts as the car is undriveable as soon as it happens. On the rft I went around 30 miles.

The rft case damaged the wheel to the point it needed replacement, one of the non rft cases did the same, one didn’t.

It’s a matter of optimizing how miserable you are during a blowout versus how happy you are the rest of the time. I’m sticking with non rfts for the ride quality. But honestly more sidewall is the real answer. It’s always a gamble.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 09:53 PM   #83
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I didn’t see any warning that the tire wouldn’t be drivable on a blowout.
Guess you may have a different definition of a blowout. To me a blowout is a tire that basically explodes when hit hard enough with something. Or if driven at high speeds in hot weather with low tire pressures. You cannot drive with a blown tire, RF or not, period. And if you're referring to a flat due to a larger cut or something, if it's on the sidewall, an RF would collapse too. It'd only hold if it happens on the tread surface. I've owned several sports cars with RFs, and they drove like crap... but you can only tell after replacing them (right away, in my case). But yes, to each his own, of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 05:54 AM   #84
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
with benz and non run flats, you used to hit the sos button and someone would come and replace your spare tire for you. to me this was a great solution...i dont think that service exists anymore now with the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 09:28 PM   #85
gthefish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530i

Garage List
2022 BMW M550  [0.00]
2019 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Cool My experience with rf's. Sorry for the long post!

My car came with MICHELIN PRIMACY 3 run flats and I love them. I still have the original tires on the fronts and I'm about to buy my second set of rears(staggered set-up). Purchased from Discount Tire w/ certificates.

I've been able to get between 22-25k miles out of the rears. Michelin says the tire warranty is 30k, but since I can't rotate my tires, I'm pretty happy about what I'm getting.

The run-flats have saved my a$$ twice. One of my rears started dropping pressure big time when I was about 30 minutes south of Branson, Missouri. The closest Discount Tire was in Springfield so I filled up the low tire and drove the 45 minute trip. DT found a screw and took about 30 minutes to plug the tire and I was back on my way.

The next time, I woke up to a flat rear tire, not the same tire as the previous issue. Again, I filled up the tire and drove 40 minutes to my nearest DT. Another screw, but they plugged it and no more issues.

From my own personal experience, I'll never buy go-flats again. There's so many people spewing BS about them being ruined if you drive on them once they lose air, or that they are not repairable. But I've done both and still got a lot of miles out of the tires. My experience with Michelin run-flats has been nothing short of amazing. Do they cost more than go-flats, sure. 1k for a set of rears, but the ride is smooth and traction is top-notch. Discount Tire handled both issues, no questions asked, and said if they weren't able to repair the tires, they'd replace them. I did buy the certificates, so no sh*t right? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 05:50 AM   #86
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthefish View Post
My car came with MICHELIN PRIMACY 3 run flats and I love them. I still have the original tires on the fronts and I'm about to buy my second set of rears(staggered set-up). Purchased from Discount Tire w/ certificates.

I've been able to get between 22-25k miles out of the rears. Michelin says the tire warranty is 30k, but since I can't rotate my tires, I'm pretty happy about what I'm getting.

The run-flats have saved my a$$ twice. One of my rears started dropping pressure big time when I was about 30 minutes south of Branson, Missouri. The closest Discount Tire was in Springfield so I filled up the low tire and drove the 45 minute trip. DT found a screw and took about 30 minutes to plug the tire and I was back on my way.

The next time, I woke up to a flat rear tire, not the same tire as the previous issue. Again, I filled up the tire and drove 40 minutes to my nearest DT. Another screw, but they plugged it and no more issues.

From my own personal experience, I'll never buy go-flats again. There's so many people spewing BS about them being ruined if you drive on them once they lose air, or that they are not repairable. But I've done both and still got a lot of miles out of the tires. My experience with Michelin run-flats has been nothing short of amazing. Do they cost more than go-flats, sure. 1k for a set of rears, but the ride is smooth and traction is top-notch. Discount Tire handled both issues, no questions asked, and said if they weren't able to repair the tires, they'd replace them. I did buy the certificates, so no sh*t right? lol
seems like it worked out for your case. where you get screwed is when its not repairable and most places dont stock run flats (or closed at the time of the incident) - and if this happens on a weekend your stuck wherever you are until the dealerships open up on Monday and you have to get the car towed, which there was a certain mileage limit to it being covered. at least this was my experience a few years back. happened at least twice.

for others, sometimes you leave the shop with whatever they have in stock (usually a non run flat) and then you have to buy another proper tire. so u basically just purchased yourself a spare tire at that point...
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2023, 08:38 AM   #87
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
I’m gonna be having to replace the tyres (19” staggered) on the G31 within the next few thousand miles, currently 3mm rears Pirelli P7 rf & 4mm front Michelin Primacy 3 rf. Car came with these fitted & tbf I have no complaints.
I reckon that I’ll be fitting rf's again, most likely P4S Zero Pressure if I can get them.

Edit
Just did a search & have a quote of £1,071.66 through Black Circles & fitted at my local tyre shop that I've been using since I first passed my test in 1988, so am confident I'll get a bit off & or a cheap 4 wheel geo.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 07-09-2023 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 01:16 PM   #88
gthefish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530i

Garage List
2022 BMW M550  [0.00]
2019 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
seems like it worked out for your case. where you get screwed is when its not repairable and most places dont stock run flats (or closed at the time of the incident) - and if this happens on a weekend your stuck wherever you are until the dealerships open up on Monday and you have to get the car towed, which there was a certain mileage limit to it being covered. at least this was my experience a few years back. happened at least twice.

for others, sometimes you leave the shop with whatever they have in stock (usually a non run flat) and then you have to buy another proper tire. so u basically just purchased yourself a spare tire at that point...
---

Very true! In both of my cases, the tire was repairable. It would have been a different ballgame if it needed to be replaced! I guess it depends on where you're at and how much time you have. I was on vacation so I just wanted to get it taken care of as fast as possible so I could get the fam back on track! lol

BMW dealerships usually carry it, but I would have to purchase it from them. Which usually isn't a big deal, but since I bought the tires/certificates through Discount Tire I'd do that only if I absolutely had to.
Appreciate 1
BMW0121009.00