BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Possible to start charging at public BMW charging points from iDrive?

02-21-2023, 04:02 AM   #1
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring

Question Possible to start charging at public BMW charging points from iDrive?

Hello,

I find it weird that I found no way to start the "charging" at public charging points on public streets from iDrive, through BMW Charging service.

It's very easy and very simple from MyBMW mobile application, you select the charging point, select the free port, and click start charging.

From iDrive, despite having a "BMW Charging" app to register your contract (I did) exactly like in the MyBMW application, I found no easy way to start the charging. You can search the charging points, even select them on the map, but I don't see any "start/stop" button on the available ports, like it's on the mobile application.

Either I'm dumb or it's a pretty big oversight to me.

Is it possible to start/stop charging through BMW Charging network from iDrive (without swiping the physical card or such) similarly to how it's done on the MyBMW mobile app?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 07:19 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Interesting question

I’m not an ev driver but as an outsider to the EV environment , I have in general wondered why you have to have apps for the various charge networks I. Order to pay w as opposed to just using a debit/credit car like you do with fuel today. Surely that’s simpler?

But agree if you can additionally do that from the car , that would make sense
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Interesting question

I’m not an ev driver but as an outsider to the EV environment , I have in general wondered why you have to have apps for the various charge networks I. Order to pay w as opposed to just using a debit/credit car like you do with fuel today. Surely that’s simpler?

But agree if you can additionally do that from the car , that would make sense
Yes it is strange to me that it's possible to do it from the MyBMW mobile app, but not from the iDrive system, despite it's possible to associate a BMW Charging contract, and there is even a "BMW Charging" application on iDrive (which is just fo associating the contract!)!

It seems like a wasted opportunity, or maybe I don't know how to do it.. anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Anyone has any idea?
Appreciate 0