BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Front camber off Help!!!

02-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Front camber off Help!!!

So went to BMW today and had an alignment done for no other reason than previously they did a great job but their machine was out of action action for over a year due COVID and lack of parts/service engineers so they bought a new one and I decided to get it done now it's back in service.

Haven't hit anything since I had two places do an alignment with no issues for me early last year.

Both front chambers are positive but should be slightly negative. See attached report.

They can't get it to align.

I feel the front Variable dampers are riding high which could explain this but maybe they all look like this as they are 10mm higher than M sport.

Now they used the wrong car type selecting sport chassis with lowering but VDC cars are 10mm higher than M sport so could this be the issue?

I understand lowering induces negative camber so the lowered setting would have a higher negative camber target.

Also they didn't keep the wheel straight so I'm annoyed as it's now slightly off to the left when driving straight. Going back to them tomorrow. They want to loosen the top mounts and move the shocks slightly to try get it correct.

At least they are trying but as usual BMW mess up again what can't they get simple things right like select the correct data and make sure the wheel is straight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
So went to BMW today and had an alignment done for no other reason than previously they did a great job but their machine was out of action action for over a year due COVID and lack of parts/service engineers so they bought a new one and I decided to get it done now it's back in service.

Haven't hit anything since I had two places do an alignment with no issues for me early last year.

Both front chambers are positive but should be slightly negative. See attached report.

They can't get it to align.

I feel the front Variable dampers are riding high which could explain this but maybe they all look like this as they are 10mm higher than M sport.

Now they used the wrong car type selecting sport chassis with lowering but VDC cars are 10mm higher than M sport so could this be the issue?

I understand lowering induces negative camber so the lowered setting would have a higher negative camber target.

Also they didn't keep the wheel straight so I'm annoyed as it's now slightly off to the left when driving straight. Going back to them tomorrow. They want to loosen the top mounts and move the shocks slightly to try get it correct.

At least they are trying but as usual BMW mess up again what can't they get simple things right like select the correct data and make sure the wheel is straight.
They gave it to you with all those values so much out of spec? LOSERS!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:29 AM   #3
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Did they load the car up like BMW requires for the alignment? You need a good amount of weight in the car to simulate a driver and passenger(s). I don't know the exact amount of weight, but I'd at least have my weight in the driver's seat area...

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

No loading of the car was done they state they don't do that anymore. They are demanding I remove the spacers before they tray again but it doesn't affect camber.

Jokers! The car is dangerous in current condition.

They asked me to come back next Thursday, leave the car for the full day and they will figure it out as they requested help from Germany as the adjustable camber arms you can order from BMW only adjust by 30 minutes. Also they feel general ride height is off at front of car, it's too high and causing the positive camber. They will try loosening shocks and moving them slightly. I tend to agree with the ride height but what on Earth causes the entire front end to be 10 mm above max height limit.

I'm convinced they just gave up yesterday as it was close of business time and then tried blaming me for having spacers on.

They had enough time to charge me though.

Now my issue is I'm moving house at the moment and the normal length bolts required when the spacers come off are in storage under piles of stuff🤦
Appreciate 1
JCaliX662.50
      02-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
No loading of the car was done they state they don't do that anymore. They are demanding I remove the spacers before they tray again but it doesn't affect camber.

Jokers! The car is dangerous in current condition.

They asked me to come back next Thursday, leave the car for the full day and they will figure it out as they requested help from Germany as the adjustable camber arms you can order from BMW only adjust by 30 minutes. Also they feel general ride height is off at front of car, it's too high and causing the positive camber. They will try loosening shocks and moving them slightly. I tend to agree with the ride height but what on Earth causes the entire front end to be 10 mm above max height limit.

I'm convinced they just gave up yesterday as it was close of business time and then tried blaming me for having spacers on.
Something is not adding up... how can the camber be over +2° without something being bent? Correction wishbones can't get the camber within spec.

Don't understand the ride height issue, unless the wrong springs are fitted.

Are they sure the alignment equipment is set up and/or calibrated correctly?
Appreciate 1
CnSky330.00
      02-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

My thoughts exactly Pete and how on earth can both sides be off camber and both positive? that would require the car structure to be damaged where the two top mounts attach or worse.

Only possibility is a bent arm on one side can maybe affect the other which I doubt… in fact excessive positive on one side should result in excessive negative on the other if an arm is bent

The two front shocks do seems very high. Higher ride would result in extra camber moving towards positive. Even using the adjustment arm from BMW will only take -30 seconds off so will still be out. Based on my research lowering springs equate to 10 seconds for every 10mm. So even lowering 30mm and installing the -30 arms wouldn't get me in spec.

I did change one shock months back when chasing my variable damper issue for a used one and it seems that is the highest corner on front left it may be about 10mm too high but I rough measure it on uneven surface so could be ok. It was same PN and spring PN with similar miles as the one I removed so shouldn't be causing this issue. I also filled install perfectly and compared both springs and shocks they matched. I have the old one still and it's perfect so may just reinstall it if BMW fail and see if things improve.

I'm still convinced they didn't centre the wheel and didn't reset the pinion offset to zero so the alignment is now messed up also they were targeting -19 but for normal height suspension (same as variable damper height) it should be -9.

I have had 3 other alignments done in last 18 months and all no issues and in limits and haven't hit a thing since.

Operator or equipment failure seems most likely.

Car is horrible, light steering and unstable they are jack asses worst BMW garage ever in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:47 AM   #7
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
My thoughts exactly Pete and how on earth can both sides be off camber and both positive? that would require the car structure to be damaged where the two top mounts attach or worse.

Only possibility is a bent arm on one side can maybe affect the other which I doubt… in fact excessive positive on one side should result in excessive negative on the other if an arm is bent

The two front shocks do seems very high. Higher ride would result in extra camber moving towards positive. Even using the adjustment arm from BMW will only take -30 seconds off so will still be out. Based on my research lowering springs equate to 10 seconds for every 10mm. So even lowering 30mm and installing the -30 arms wouldn't get me in spec.

I did change one shock months back when chasing my variable damper issue for a used one and it seems that is the highest corner on front left it may be about 10mm too high but I rough measure it on uneven surface so could be ok. It was same PN and spring PN with similar miles as the one I removed so shouldn't be causing this issue. I also filled install perfectly and compared both springs and shocks they matched. I have the old one still and it's perfect so may just reinstall it if BMW fail and see if things improve.

I'm still convinced they didn't centre the wheel and didn't reset the pinion offset to zero so the alignment is now messed up also they were targeting -19 but for normal height suspension (same as variable damper height) it should be -9.

I have had 3 other alignments done in last 18 months and all no issues and in limits and haven't hit a thing since.

Operator or equipment failure seems most likely.

Car is horrible, light steering and unstable they are jack asses worst BMW garage ever in my opinion.
Iirc corrrectly you had issues with your VDC controller and perhaps one of your shock absorbers, could that not be the cause of the issue ?

Also maybe i'm wrong but the influence of ride height on camber is true on a mcpherson suspension like a 3 series, but on a 5 with have double triangle suspension which would retain constant camber regardless of ride height no?
      02-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #8
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Lancelot your a step ahead of me understanding suspension setups.

But I think I understand for your post that cambers shouldn't change with spacers etc and or ride height?

Hopefully the shocks are ok as I replaced one but still have the old perfect one as a spare so can always refit it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

No I was wrong actually, what I said only holds if upper and lower control arms were the same length, which isn't the case on the front suspension

If you have 15 mins this little video isn't bad:
CnSky330.00
      02-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

FWIW I don't think 10mm ride height increase could come close to 2 degrees of positive camber :-/
I found most shops are horrible at measureing geometry, carelessly placing the probes on the wheels while we're dealing with tenths of degree of camber/caster :-/
      02-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #11
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Well this is so bad that car won't hold lane or change lane with auto drive it's thinks the wheel is turned.

Disgraceful result from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #12
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Well I got alignment done today in a local place with brand new machines.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the car easily aligned in about 40 minutes and even the sections that BMW showed correct were not.

Jokers. Demanding my money back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      02-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #13
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

How does the car drive now?
      02-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #14