BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Just complaining: why BMW brings sowewhat inferior cars to the US?

02-15-2022, 12:33 AM   #1
kopik
Rep
Drives: 2022 m550i

Just complaining: why BMW brings sowewhat inferior cars to the US?

I've had my 2022 Phytonic Blue Metallic with Mocha Nappa Leather m550i for 2 months now and I am really loving it. However there are some disappointments too. I did not test drive the car prior to ordering due to lack of availability. So I got the info mostly from written and youtube reviews of the car. Some of them obviously featured European models. I was quite surprised to see that there are some features that are absent from the US models but are available elsewhere (some even as standard ones): 4-zone climate control with digital climate controllers, laser lights, soft closing doors, sport seats to name a few. I had E-class before that and don't think that was the case. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 12:55 AM   #2
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Its not just that the us-spec cars can’t get certain features, even the ones they can get take close to 2x as many options/packages. It annoyed me enough that I hunted down and got a Canadian spec and probably will again if this continues (which it likely will, because they’ve been doing this since at least the f10’s)

I think it’s a combination of 2 things.

1. Americans don’t seem to care as much, or even view the bells and whistles as a liability. So bmw listens to the market and specs them to the point where people will buy them, and no more.

2. BMW might be focusing more on upselling. I.e. if you want 4-zone climate, get an x5 instead. But even this isn’t entirely it, because last I checked, even the suvs are easier to spec out in Canada than in the us.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Some are regulatory , ie laser lights due to the What seem outdated light regulations although I thought I read that it was changing ( has changed?) . So that's why you don't laser and also the adaptive headlighys.

Even here in the U.K., we are limited somewhat , some of it may be due to us having the steering wheel on the other side which may an issue due to items fitting in the engine bay but we miss out on various things

We didn't get the 550i until the LCI came out. We don't get the 550d
The 540 only comes in drive , no choice on that
Those a few examples

I think the German market probably gets every possible option
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:55 AM   #4
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

I think it's simpler than that. The price of a 550i in the USA is about half what one pays for a similar spec in Germany and about 2/3rds of what you pay in the UK. UK base spec on any model is more generous than a German base spec. German models do appear to have more options (and model variants) than other countries.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
en1gma200.00
      02-15-2022, 06:14 AM   #5
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

Yes, on laser lights much of the functionality is required to be disabled due to antiquated US regulations. So, in an environment where supply chain issues abound, it probably made sense to limit their availability in markets where you aren’t getting a full benefit from them. Those regulations will change and allow the fully adaptive headlights here, but it still has to go through a process to get there.

The climate control differences (4 zone and the different control panel) and soft close doors I don’t fully get. I miss soft close from my 2018 540 to my 2021 M550. There was a high profile lawsuit here where someone sued BMW because they claimed they were injured by the soft close doors, so maybe we can thank the personal injury trial bar for those going away.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 07:12 AM   #6
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Most of this is nothing new with regard to Euro specs, US Specs and Canadian specs. For example, on the E39, there is a different lower dash and center armrest for the Euro E39 vs. the US. Part of the fun for me is retrofitting Euro designs to US cars.

Then there is the differences driven by law and DOT and there is not way around that.

But when it comes to options, such as soft close doors not being offered in one market but available in others, it does get frustrating. If you ever had soft close doors, it is really a bummer to not have them.

Chip shortage is also a recent phenomenon for option availability by market. Personally, no Bowers and Wilkins and Soft Close Doors is a 100% non-starter for me. I'll gladly keep my 2018 until they bring these back.

I hear you though, BMW is frustrating, but it's par for the course with them. They do a lot of things right and they fail at the most simplest and obvious things. I have learned to live with it and also do as much homework as I can as to what options have what, what can be retrofitted (touch climate is a slam dunk) and what I can live with or without. I think they make if complicated in the US by design.
      02-15-2022, 07:16 AM   #7
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

When I ordered mine, the dealer said a lot of options were stripped due to supply chain issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:12 AM   #8
MarkSCD
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 X6M, '18 M550i, '21 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Its not just that the us-spec cars can’t get certain features, even the ones they can get take close to 2x as many options/packages. It annoyed me enough that I hunted down and got a Canadian spec and probably will again if this continues (which it likely will, because they’ve been doing this since at least the f10’s)

1. Americans don’t seem to care as much, or even view the bells and whistles as a liability. So bmw listens to the market and specs them to the point where people will buy them, and no more.

2. BMW might be focusing more on upselling. I.e. if you want 4-zone climate, get an x5 instead. But even this isn’t entirely it, because last I checked, even the suvs are easier to spec out in Canada than in the us.

I was going to respond to the OP saying that I have all the features he's missing. Of course, I'm an American living in Canada. Cars here are better equipped that our American counterpart
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

I agree about US tastes (or lack thereof). VW is a great example. For a large SUV, europeans get the Tourag; but US buyers weren't paying for it so VW created the POS Atlas for the US market.

At least for BMW, one can get most of the features as options.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:17 AM   #10
BrewsterGreenM550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i Brewster Green

Garage List
For the love of god just give us the dang wagons!!!
Appreciate 3
NGT25617.50
Mandingo93498.50
540iSUP704.00
      02-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes I'm really surprised they don't offer the estate/ wagons in the US. Judging by these forums there is obviously a level of demand there.

I'd argue in a lot of cases the estate can look better than the saloon.

Fingers crossed, you may get one when the g60 arrives , who knows
Appreciate 1
en1gma200.00
      02-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #12
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree about US tastes (or lack thereof). VW is a great example. For a large SUV, europeans get the Tourag; but US buyers weren't paying for it so VW created the POS Atlas for the US market.

At least for BMW, one can get most of the features as options.
Interesting point- I honestly forgot those even existed. Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but it seems like the Q5 outsold it by a factor of 10 in its last year. And that’s the theme, Americans pay more for higher badges and often fewer features. And of course, eschew wagons and embrace larger SUV’s. (I think the premium German suvs we get here are mostly great cars but wish it didn’t have to be at the expense of hatches and wagons)

What baffles me with bmw is that it wouldn’t surprise me if skimping on things like soft close doors, digital cluster, etc costs them more in operational overhead, just to design and manufacture the “crippled” versions for the us market. Though I guess not, or else they wouldn’t be doing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #13
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yes I'm really surprised they don't offer the estate/ wagons in the US. Judging by these forums there is obviously a level of demand there.

Not a chance. And unfortunately enthusiast communities are a very poor representation of the market at large.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      02-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #14
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopik View Post
I've had my 2022 Phytonic Blue Metallic with Mocha Nappa Leather m550i for 2 months now and I am really loving it. However there are some disappointments too. I did not test drive the car prior to ordering due to lack of availability. So I got the info mostly from written and youtube reviews of the car. Some of them obviously featured European models. I was quite surprised to see that there are some features that are absent from the US models but are available elsewhere (some even as standard ones): 4-zone climate control with digital climate controllers, laser lights, soft closing doors, sport seats to name a few. I had E-class before that and don't think that was the case. Any thoughts?
That's a shame on the 4-Zone climate. I thought I read a document from BMW that 4-Zone climate would be standard in the US starting with MY2022, but maybe that got canned after the fact.

This isn't unique to BMW and I think it is driven by the complexity of the US market. All driven by the profit margin BMW hopes to make on their cars. The US market is large enough that omitting seemingly small features can lead to cost savings that allow them to play games with the margins. It reminds me of my last car, 2014 Mercedes C300, where the mirrors didn't support automatically folding in. They supported it up until like MY2012 or something and then not on the LCI MY2013-2015 unless you were in Canada then did again in the new platform. I could only understand those as things they cut to cover something else. Such as estimated warranty costs or who knows what. I think the same is true here.

The US market has a higher buying power than most markets so you get the German makes offering options matrixes that enable them to try to push buyers up model to maximize profit. Then you get the options within the model to allow dealerships a wide variety of price points for their markets. Then you have some stuff thrown around to help guarantee a margin after you account for negotiations, dealership kickbacks, etc. Finally, you also have market size to account for as well.

I think market size has caused problems with the LCI+ where BMW is cutting features to limit part shortages. On smaller markets, like Canada, those are a lot easier to manage compared to the US. Even in the EU they are able to divide the EU up into many countries and tweak availability on a more fine-grained level then they can here in the US. You can't offer Soft Close Doors to CA, but not NY... I mean you technically could, but it wouldn't be a good look for a luxury brand and US buyers in other states could technically order from any state...

All that said I think their complex options matrixes are going to start to fall away as the US moves more to ordered cars and they need to translate that information to buyers. The majority of buyers in the US have been lot crawlers who outsource the job of dealing with the option matrix to the dealership. If the dealership has it on the lot they assume that's how they almost all are and jump in it. Give a buyer the options matrixes BMW currently has with as little information as they have and buyers are more likely to be confused or unhappy. So they'll be forced to standardize more.

Does that mean more parity in options for the US market compared to the EU and other markets? Time will tell...

Could be worse though... We could start out with whatever the base stereo is on the 5-Series internationally and the really really horrible center display
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
That's a shame on the 4-Zone climate. I thought I read a document from BMW that 4-Zone climate would be standard in the US starting with MY2022, but maybe that got canned after the fact.

This isn't unique to BMW and I think it is driven by the complexity of the US market. All driven by the profit margin BMW hopes to make on their cars. The US market is large enough that omitting seemingly small features can lead to cost savings that allow them to play games with the margins. It reminds me of my last car, 2014 Mercedes C300, where the mirrors didn't support automatically folding in. They supported it up until like MY2012 or something and then not on the LCI MY2013-2015 unless you were in Canada then did again in the new platform. I could only understand those as things they cut to cover something else. Such as estimated warranty costs or who knows what. I think the same is true here.

The US market has a higher buying power than most markets so you get the German makes offering options matrixes that enable them to try to push buyers up model to maximize profit. Then you get the options within the model to allow dealerships a wide variety of price points for their markets. Then you have some stuff thrown around to help guarantee a margin after you account for negotiations, dealership kickbacks, etc. Finally, you also have market size to account for as well.

I think market size has caused problems with the LCI+ where BMW is cutting features to limit part shortages. On smaller markets, like Canada, those are a lot easier to manage compared to the US. Even in the EU they are able to divide the EU up into many countries and tweak availability on a more fine-grained level then they can here in the US. You can't offer Soft Close Doors to CA, but not NY... I mean you technically could, but it wouldn't be a good look for a luxury brand and US buyers in other states could technically order from any state...

All that said I think their complex options matrixes are going to start to fall away as the US moves more to ordered cars and they need to translate that information to buyers. The majority of buyers in the US have been lot crawlers who outsource the job of dealing with the option matrix to the dealership. If the dealership has it on the lot they assume that's how they almost all are and jump in it. Give a buyer the options matrixes BMW currently has with as little information as they have and buyers are more likely to be confused or unhappy. So they'll be forced to standardize more.

Does that mean more parity in options for the US market compared to the EU and other markets? Time will tell...

Could be worse though... We could start out with whatever the base stereo is on the 5-Series internationally and the really really horrible center display
Great post. I think you summed it up perfectly. I’m pessimistic that things will improve, however, I expect them to get worse as manufacturers tack on subscription models for features on top of the current nickel and diming.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #16
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Most of this is nothing new with regard to Euro specs, US Specs and Canadian specs. For example, on the E39, there is a different lower dash and center armrest for the Euro E39 vs. the US. Part of the fun for me is retrofitting Euro designs to US cars.

Then there is the differences driven by law and DOT and there is not way around that.

But when it comes to options, such as soft close doors not being offered in one market but available in others, it does get frustrating. If you ever had soft close doors, it is really a bummer to not have them.

Chip shortage is also a recent phenomenon for option availability by market. Personally, no Bowers and Wilkins and Soft Close Doors is a 100% non-starter for me. I'll gladly keep my 2018 until they bring these back.

I hear you though, BMW is frustrating, but it's par for the course with them. They do a lot of things right and they fail at the most simplest and obvious things. I have learned to live with it and also do as much homework as I can as to what options have what, what can be retrofitted (touch climate is a slam dunk) and what I can live with or without. I think they make if complicated in the US by design.
For some reason, I thought the soft close doors were listed on the build sites. Maybe they're listed by default but not actually available. Or maybe I'm just wrong.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #17
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:

Everything in the US is SUV centered now. I've had a bunch of SUV's. I get it. But multiple great sedans aren't even on the market anymore. I don't even know if Ford still makes one. Chevy doesn't make any that you'd want to drive. Cadillac stopped making the CT6, which was a great sedan.

The wagons are gone, outside of Volvo, and have all turned into "crossover" SUVs. Again, I get the purpose for the crossovers but I hate that the whole focus shifts. A little diversity of body types is a good thing.

Volvo has some cool wagons but nothing that I'd expect to be fun to drive. I'd love it if we had a 5 series wagon, here. I've got a young kid and dogs and do my own yard work. I probably would've been a prime target for a luxury/sport wagon when I got tired of the full size SUV. But that's not really available. I do love my 540 though.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      02-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The problem is these forums represent a very, very small proportion of purchasers/lessees.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting point- I honestly forgot those even existed. Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but it seems like the Q5 outsold it by a factor of 10 in its last year. And that’s the theme, Americans pay more for higher badges and often fewer features. And of course, eschew wagons and embrace larger SUV’s. (I think the premium German suvs we get here are mostly great cars but wish it didn’t have to be at the expense of hatches and wagons)

What baffles me with bmw is that it wouldn’t surprise me if skimping on things like soft close doors, digital cluster, etc costs them more in operational overhead, just to design and manufacture the “crippled” versions for the us market. Though I guess not, or else they wouldn’t be doing it.
Before the pandemic hit I think BMW was going the other way....putting everything into the car and then controlling access by software. So...for example, if one bought a car without a particular feature, and then sold the car, the buyer of the used car could then pay to activate that feature.

But I think the pandemic killed that plan.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      02-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #20
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

The EPA/NHTSA has a large say. Manufacturers have to have every iteration of a vehicle crash tested. A car with a 4, 6 or 8 available must have them all tested. Manual or auto? Test them both. So with 3 engines and 2 transmissions, the manufacturer must supply 6 cars for testing. Throw in a wagon version of a sedan with the same engine/ transmission options and that's 12 cars that must be destroyed. Testing is very expensive, so it's just cheaper to eliminate an option for purchase.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      02-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #21
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:

Everything in the US is SUV centered now. I've had a bunch of SUV's. I get it. But multiple great sedans aren't even on the market anymore. I don't even know if Ford still makes one. Chevy doesn't make any that you'd want to drive. Cadillac stopped making the CT6, which was a great sedan.

The wagons are gone, outside of Volvo, and have all turned into "crossover" SUVs. Again, I get the purpose for the crossovers but I hate that the whole focus shifts. A little diversity of body types is a good thing.

Volvo has some cool wagons but nothing that I'd expect to be fun to drive. I'd love it if we had a 5 series wagon, here. I've got a young kid and dogs and do my own yard work. I probably would've been a prime target for a luxury/sport wagon when I got tired of the full size SUV. But that's not really available. I do love my 540 though.
Mercedes and Audi also offer a wagon here in the US by the way..
Attached Images

02-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
For some reason, I thought the soft close doors were listed on the build sites. Maybe they're listed by default but not actually available. Or maybe I'm just wrong.
Soft close doors used to be available on the 5 series (I have them on mine) but they were a victim of the semiconductor crisis.
Appreciate 0