E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is there a way to check if sidemarkers work off of the car? LED Bulb check

02-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Is there a way to check if sidemarkers work off of the car? LED Bulb check

Is there a way to check if sidemarkers work off of the car? LED Bulb check?

I have a set of OEM e90 m3 fender trim/LED sidemarkers that I'm trying to troubleshoot. They won't light up anymore. BOTH SIDES at the same time. It can't be coincidental, can it?

Is there a way to check these assemblies with like a test wire/s and a battery or something?

I know for sure it's not the wiring from my e90's fenders. I plugged in the factory e90 sidemarkers and they light up no problem.

So that leaves the e90 m3 fender LED lights being dead, the wiring harness isn't being connected properly (im using the factory e90 harness modified to fit the e90 m3 sidemarker connector), or the connection is backwards pin wise (it looks like it only plugs in 1 way with the 2 pin guide).

Is there a way to test these because I don't want to buy a new set for no reason...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I use a 110v to 12V variable voltage/amperage power supply to test automotive parts, but of course you have to have one - you could use pigtail test wires off a car battery in a pinch...

When I did my M3 rep fender conversion I used the OEM M3 side gills/lights with LED's.

Since the connectors on the ends of my E92 328 side light car harness were different from the type used on M3 - I bought the correct M3 connector shells/pins, cut my old connectors off, and wired on the new ones.

Before I fully installed the pins into the shells I hooked them up to see if the lights worked - if I remember, it did make a difference which wire went to which hole in shell for the lights to work correctly - 50/50 chance that you get them right - I failed on both in the beginning
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I use a 110v to 12V variable voltage/amperage power supply to test automotive parts, but of course you have to have one - you could use pigtail test wires off a car battery in a pinch...

When I did my M3 rep fender conversion I used the OEM M3 side gills/lights with LED's.

Since the connectors on the ends of my E92 328 side light car harness were different from the type used on M3 - I bought the correct M3 connector shells/pins, cut my old connectors off, and wired on the new ones.

Before I fully installed the pins into the shells I hooked them up to see if the lights worked - if I remember, it did make a difference which wire went to which hole in shell for the lights to work correctly - 50/50 chance that you get them right - I failed on both in the beginning

Quik!!! Thanks for the response.

Yeah I was thinking about that...so pigtail wires from the battery and connect each wire to the pins on the oem led light/gills, right? and I have a 50 50 chance of getting it right. If it works it'll light up, correct? and if it doesn't it means my lights are bad (after testing both sides of the 2 pins of course), right?

I was thinking about buying the oem m3 sidelight harness too, but I figured I'd break open my e90 harness enough for it to fit as its only 2 pins as well...maybe that's the problem.

I'm not sure what harness my e91 had when I had the oem m3 front end on it, but I know when I swapped that front end to my e90 that the fender lights didn't work (but I just lived with it), now that that e90 got rear ended and totaled, I'm swapping that oem m3 front end to my new e90 330i and I want to get it right this time before painitng.
Appreciate 0